Author Topic: Benjamin Lund and Mary Fennick - 18 Century - Can you trace a birth?  (Read 565 times)

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Benjamin Lund and Mary Fennick - 18 Century - Can you trace a birth?
« on: Sunday 20 December 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have ancestors Benjamin Lund and Mary Fennick marrying at St Maurice, York 15th January 1744.

I believe Mary died in 1771. However i cannot trace any birth records for Benjamin or Mary, (and no death records for Benjamin).

May I ask the Rootschat brains trust to have a go and tracking them down?

Many thanks.

Eric

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Benjamin Lund and Mary Fennick - 18 Century - Can you trace a birth?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 20 08:14 GMT (UK) »
There is a burial at St Maurice, York for a Benjamin Lund - 27 December 1774.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
It looks like there might be more than one Benjamin Lund around in York. On freereg in North Yorks.

Mary GOODBARN to Benjamin LUND a widower   
Marriage   14 Oct 1760   Yorkshire, North Riding   York : St Olav

They may have had a son Benjamin the following year.

There was also Ann TINE to Benjamin LUND, printer and parish clerk.   
Marriage   29 Mar 1772   Yorkshire, North Riding   York : St Martin le Gran

Only baptism in Yorks. on freereg.

Benjamin LUND   Baptism   05 Mar 1728/29   Yorkshire, West Riding   Methley : St Oswald

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 20 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Joseph Lund was twin brother of Benjamin above.
Baptism Date:   5 Mar 1729
Baptism Place:   Methley,York,England
Father:   Robert Lund
Mother:   Elizabeth

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 December 20 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks people for your help.

I have found a Benjamin Lun/Lunn, Baptised 1713 at Sheriff Hutton, York on FindMyPast, but I only have membership of Ancestry.com. Can someone check to see if it could be 'Lund'?. The records are found under the Yorkshire Baptisms set. I guess, based on the date or marriage, we would have to look pre 1729 for Benjamin's birth although no doubt there were under age marriages taking place at the time.

Now some of the information i have for the family comes from transcriptions "Church of England. Holy Trinity Church, Goodramgate (York, Yorkshire) 1573 - 1812 by Cook, Robert Beilby. Title No   181072_41. You can view this via familysearch I found this very useful as in some parts you get a baptism, name and occupation of father, mother name, and names of the grandparents! There is a list of surnames and christen names in the index. What confuses me is that i believe the 1744 marriage of Benjamin and Mary at St Maurice should be there but its not recorded, (at least a Benjamin Lund is not in the index). There is an introduction to the transcriptions which may be of interest to people, but why no 1744 marriage of Benjamin and Mary? Their marriage detais i recorded from the record set  England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973.

Regards

Eric

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 20 15:12 GMT (UK) »
An Ancestry member has posted the record you mention for Benjamin Lund born 8 Jun 1713 , unfortunately it is difficult to read, out of focus and faded. The same person has also posted the marriage in 1744 to Mary.

However another tree showing the same birth details notes his wife as Ann Wilson.

I agree the 1729 record is a baptism, it would be nice to know when he was born, I agree it may not be the one but it was not impossible.

Prior to 1753 the minimum age for marriage as that of puberty which was 14 for boys and 12 for girls; these remained the legal age for marriage until the late 19th Century in Britain. However I believe it was not commonplace

The Marriage Act 1753, full title "An Act for the Better Preventing of Clandestine Marriage", popularly known as Lord Hardwicke's Marriage Act. From this time marriage under the age of 21 needed their parents consent.

Colin

Offline ericthepenguin1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Colin

I actually contacted the owner of the tree with the photo of the 1713 baptism parish records. However it was taken sometime ago and she did not know where it came from. Yes its very faint and difficult to decipher.

Ann Wilson is down as being the 2nd wife of Benjamin but on the above tree they marry at Sheriff Hales on 6/8/1745. This cannot be the right person as Benjamin and Mary married 1744 and had a son William Lund in 1752, baptised St Maurice, York. So I guess the 1713 baptism at Sheriff Hales is more than likely another Benjamin Lund.

Regards

Eric