Author Topic: Anne Elizabeth Evans - "Bessie" - Henllan, Denbigshire  (Read 927 times)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Anne Elizabeth Evans - "Bessie" - Henllan, Denbigshire
« on: Sunday 20 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have been going great guns with my ancestors and have come to the youngest child of the nine children of John and Ellin(or) Evans, of Cross Foxes Inn and Brynmeirion in Henllan.  The youngest is Anne Elizabeth Evans known sometimes as Bessie or Bess born on 19th May 1895 according to school register form.  I can find her in the 1901 and 1911 census returns when she was living at home with her parents in Henllan,  however nothing from then on - the only snippets I have to go by is that she worked in the silent movies! (The exclamation mark was included to this snippet by a family member lol) and she had two sons Roger and Gareth - and nothing else! - I've tried doing a search for both boys names with surname left blank and mothers maiden name Evans and also had a look for her name and dob on 1939 register, all coming up blanks!  Could anyone help me as I have no idea where to look now, except possibly abroad but up to now, in my preliminary searches, thats not coming up with anything either - any help would be most appreciated so I can close down this chapter of my Great Grandparents and that particular branch lol  :-\

Thanks in anticipation

Michelle

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Anne Elizabeth Evans - "Bessie" - Henllan, Denbigshire
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly when some of her brothers die in the war, the only sisters mentioned are Madame Laura the singer and Miss Eleanor Evans, Royal Academy of Music

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:22 GMT (UK) »
also had a look for her name and dob on 1939 register,

I think you can search by occupation so "actress" maybe worth a try  :-\

Perhaps she travelled abroad?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
A clue from some googling and an archivehub file

Papers re: conveyance of a disused chapel known as Bryn Meirion, Henllan. File includes: Schedule of deeds and documents relating to the title of Mr John Evans to 'Bryn Meirion', 1805-1915; Last will and testament of John Evans of Brynmeirion, Henllan, 29th September 1920; Last will and testament of Ellinor Evans of Brynmeirion, Henllan, widow, 4th November 1920; draft conveyance of disused chapel, messuage and stable with 2 courts and a garden in Henllan, known as Bryn Meirion, Laura Evans Williams of London, widow, Anne Elizabeth Roberts of Portmadoc, co. Carnarvon, vendors, to John and Mary Ellen Jones of Brynmeirion, Henllan, purchasers, 1st May 1926; correspondence. File No. XXX/1507.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
That's a great clue, so it looks like she married someone called Roberts. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:41 GMT (UK) »
There's an Ann Eliz Roberts on 1939 with a very near dob (29th not 19th) and one child with a name that fits your info, in South Wales

Ancestry is pointing me at this marriage

Ann E Evans
John E Roberts
Q2 1923
St  Asaph Vol    11b p627

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Interestingly when some of her brothers die in the war, the only sisters mentioned are Madame Laura the singer and Miss Eleanor Evans, Royal Academy of Music

Yes, I thought the same too!  I'm actually dubious about the connection to the silent movies tbh - saying that, while a lot of the info on the family notes are correct they are somewhat crossed with facts attributed to the wrong siblings etc lol.

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 00:44 GMT (UK) »
also had a look for her name and dob on 1939 register,

I think you can search by occupation so "actress" maybe worth a try  :-\

Perhaps she travelled abroad?

Thank you!  I must remember to do that in future for other "missing" ancestors!  Handy to know :)

Offline Sassenach73

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 00:48 GMT (UK) »
A clue from some googling and an archivehub file

Papers re: conveyance of a disused chapel known as Bryn Meirion, Henllan. File includes: Schedule of deeds and documents relating to the title of Mr John Evans to 'Bryn Meirion', 1805-1915; Last will and testament of John Evans of Brynmeirion, Henllan, 29th September 1920; Last will and testament of Ellinor Evans of Brynmeirion, Henllan, widow, 4th November 1920; draft conveyance of disused chapel, messuage and stable with 2 courts and a garden in Henllan, known as Bryn Meirion, Laura Evans Williams of London, widow, Anne Elizabeth Roberts of Portmadoc, co. Carnarvon, vendors, to John and Mary Ellen Jones of Brynmeirion, Henllan, purchasers, 1st May 1926; correspondence. File No. XXX/1507.

Oh thats fantastic Mabel!  I had found probate for both parents but no mention of their home!  I had also seen newspaper reports re John Evans and various issues he had with local councillors about having a sewage/water system put in place on the site of the disued chapel but again, very little details of the building itself - (I've located a very old photograph and a recent one of the house) - it would make sense re the stables as he was a Veterinary Surgeon/Gelder!  Thank you so much - this is definitely something I can look into in greater detail!   :D