Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 20th December  (Read 529 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 20th December
« on: Monday 21 December 20 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hope Caroline and I don't clash with this one!

It seems like such a long time since this morning. Was awake earlier despite reading till late last night. Carried on reading with my cups of tea to hand, went out late morning. Walked round to the postbox to post a card I'd forgotten then round onto the walkway to the woods, still muddy there. On the way back across the field I saw two small children with the biggest dog I've ever seen in my life, it was like a small pony. I asked them what sort it was but they didn't know, I think it maybe belonged to some of the adults they were with.

For days I've been intending to do some painting but haven't got round to it, if I don't get on with it first thing it's no good as the light fades so quickly. Today was no different. Ah well, mañana. Instead I made an attempt to defrost the freezer, it's very old and gets iced up. Set to with the handheld steam cleaner, the freezer is in the garage so it doesn't matter about any mess but not a great place to be hanging around. Soon got sick and gave up, at least I'd got some done. Swept some mud and leaves out while I was in the garage. Put some nuts in the bird feeder.

On with the cupboard sorting exercise, I have a box file or two full of family history research papers. Got rid of some, put some aside to check whether I've entered the details in my family tree, put some back in the file for maňana!

Roasted a chicken for tea with all the veg etc. While I was at it I thought I may as well roast some carrots and sweet potatoes to make soup again. Weighed the carrots! on my new electronic scale! A lot different from the scales I used to have with a dial. I used some frozen sweet potatoes I had, they're supposed to be chunks but they're actually just bits, not great for other things but ideal for soup. I'll make it tomorrow. By the time I'd finished with that and the meal I'd had enough, I really don't enjoy cooking or the clearing up afterwards. But the meal was nice.

Was infuriated when I read news reports about people escaping from London before the deadline and what they'd said. A woman who 'did not wish to be named ' (I'll bet!) said that she and her partner were taking their child to her parents home on the coast because her parents had asked and 'we couldn't bear the thought of no fresh air and a toddler going rogue round a small flat for the foreseeable'.
Well I don't know what part of the coast they were heading for but I'm sure other coastal dwellers will agree when I say We don't want you!!
I wish these people would just grow up and take some responsibility. Isn't there any fresh air in London? Aren't there any parks?? It makes my blood boil. So there!

I've been feeling a bit fed up today, things like that don't help, I hope others have had a good day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 20th December
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 December 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
No you beat me to it tonight... I was busy posting on another topic having a rant - as have you - about the idiot people being allowed to get on trains last night and today to get out of London... what part of ‘ you can’t travel to different tiers’ don’t they understand... and why are the railways allowing them to go! It’s complete madness and selfishness...

Sounds like you’ve had a busy day... hate doing freezers, mine in the garage needs defrosting manually but kitchen one is self defrosting thank goodness!

Well today was a lovely bright sunny day.. woke quite early but had a read before getting up to shower and wash my hair..
After breakfast read the papers...
Messaged daughter she said she was fed up all plans scuppered Christmas going to be an anti climax now... reassured her there’d be plenty more and we can get together over zoom, raise a glass, watch boys open pressies and maybe have virtual lunch together...
 they were going out on their bikes , they had planned to go to Bushy Park to do some deer spotting... not now though...
Friends arrived after their walk to collect village lottery winnings! It might be sunny but the wind was bitter....
Didn’t feel like doing much today... OH continued with latest jigsaw...
I read for a while...
Decided to get dinner prepped ... cooked meat I’d left out for last nights meal but too late after returning from London...it’ll do for later this week...
Had news on on and off today listening to all that’s going on..... don’t understand why people don’t just do as they’re asked!
Dinner was roast beef and Yorkshire, roasts and vegs,,,
Daughter sent through to grandparents WhatsApp pictures of their afternoon at Kew yesterday .. looked like they enjoyed themselves... so lucky to have it only 15 mins from where they live... Boys  love it there...last year they visited the Dale Chihuly exhibition numerous times and could tell us all about when we went with them !
Had a zoom with our friends after dinner... one set in tier 4 so no family only support bubble as his dads 102! Other friends family are in tier 4 so they’re not visiting them either... nice to catch up with them...
watched some tv....
Lazy day for me today.... must do better tomorrow... just didn’t feel much like doing anything today....

Keep your chins up everyone..
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 December 20 01:16 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear about your Christmas not happening now. Well, the part where you do not get to spend it with loved ones.
Sydney looks to be in the same boat hoping to get out of lockdown before Christmas.
Headlines over here are all about UK and Sydney.
I too don't understand everyone trying to leave these places to avoid lockdown. Are they running from the virus or taking it with them? This is how it spreads. Why don't they get told we are in lockdown now so close your shop, Stop work and go home.
We are being reminded how lucky we are here and not to let our guard down as 1 slip and we could be in exactly the same position.

Update on Bone marrow transplant; The donner lives in Germany, so because of the virus a lot of testing has to happen before it can be flown to NZ frozen. Retested here before it gets to the recipient. Normally it is flown fresh but not now.

Hope you all find a way to enjoy your Christmas
Stay Safe Stay Strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 21 December 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Plenty of wet days and heavy showers here for days, fairy lights water logged :'( and morale very low.
However a bit brighter for a distanced picnic lunch on Dartmoor with a few of the Morris group.
I put vaseline on my boots to save getting wet feet.
We were supposed to be in Wales for a long w/e with family who were travelling from London and Wales..... it seems the party is going ahead without us as we are the only ones following directives, which did seem fairly clear to me. Gob smacked would be an understatement.

Carol: Very glad to know the transplant is going ahead. Good wishes to you all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 December 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »
 Carol - pleased to hear your son will be getting his transplant....these are definitely not normal times so it’s good to know extra monitoring is being put in place... I’m sure you’ll be relieved when it’s all done... thinking about you..
I hope you’re able to enjoy your Christmas knowing that your government are vigilant and decisive with their actions when needed unlike our dithering one! To little and too late I’m afraid and not strong enough on imposing what’s necessary....in my humble opinion!

MH - I have thought of you over these past days when the weather has been on 😢 we are getting it today!
I’m amazed that they are travelling from London and Wales.... didn’t think it was allowed... people are people though and at least you’re being safe, hopefully giving you peace of mind.
Glad you were able to meet up with your dancing friends.... rather you than me on Dartmoor at this time of the year... think you must be made of strong stuff!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 December 20 13:13 GMT (UK) »
Another bright day - my sister and I were meeting friends M & J for a lunchtime get together and swap of Christmas presents.   This took place at a local garden centre (not part of a chain) on the outskirts of town.   They have a marquee with tables spaced at a safe distance - we sat on one side, and later 2 ladies arrived and sat on the other side.   Was the only venue we could think of where it was safe for the 4 of us to meet up (if it had been closed would have to have been in a park).  Good to be able to have refreshments too (ham/cheese toastie and an americano coffee for me).   Swapped presents in the car park afterwards and had a 'virtual' hug!   

Was feeling quite cheerful when I got home but then received a whatapp from niece to say that baby Darcy was back in ICU and on opti-flow.   Feeding causing breathing problems - she can't cope with both.   Seems amazing that they will be 3 weeks old tomorrow.   

Spent part of the evening wrapping presents for nephew and his family which I will drop off tomorrow.

A strange old world right now but we must follow the guidelines to stay safe.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 21 December 20 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I think you were entitled to a lazy day after the hectic time you had. Good to hear that your daughter has been able to enjoy some fun with the family after her disappointment about Christmas.

Carol, pleased to hear that progress is being made for your son's bone marrow transplant.

MH, all that wet weather is depressing and from what I've seen you were going to get a lot more today. Good that you managed to get your lunch with the dancers.

Annette, sorry to hear that baby is back in hospital, hope all is soon well again.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 December 20 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday was a tale of two Carol Services.
In the morning we went to our Methodist church in Bath for a traditional one, with the current social distancing limiting the numbers to 30, but unfortunatley the take up was less, around 15 people turned up.
We had a musical trio of Organ, Oboe and Trombone and a small choir ( all according to the book of rules) and it seemed to go quite well, but nothing like in previous years with a church almost full to the rafters and lusty singing.

In the evening we went to the local Methodist church here in Westfield where with some imagination they put on something to remember. It was loosely based on a Latin American tradition of Los Posados on the nine day journey of Joseph and Mary from Nazareth to Bethlehem, stopping at various places along the way looking for shelter.
What we had was a brief introduction and then a forty five minute video produced by the Church Minister where at nine places around the locality of his four churches he filmed a member of the local church with a Bible reading and short reflection, and for the whole journey Mary and Joseph were present in "knitted form", and prominent in each scene. The readings were interspersed with favourite carols, a la Songs of Praise format. A different approach but very memorable and effective.
Again because of Social Distancing numbers were limited but there was a far better turnout, even allowing for the really nasty weather.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Annette - sorry to hear about baby Darcy, hope she responds to treatment soon... three weeks old where has that time gone... glad you enjoyed your lunch out with your sister and friends... trying to make things more normal can be so gratifying sometimes...

Jeff - your ministers are very imaginative with their concept if the carol service your evening one sounds like a great deal of thought had gone in to it... I’m sure you found them uplifting, something we all need at the moment...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK