Author Topic: Zachary Aston (B: 1764) and Ann  (Read 560 times)

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Zachary Aston (B: 1764) and Ann
« on: Monday 21 December 20 14:25 GMT (UK) »
I have the baptisms of Zachary Aston (born abt.1764) and Ann’s children, were all baptised at St. Mary’s Old Swinford, Worcestershire: -

Sarah - baptised: 28 Nov 1790
William - baptised: 7 Oct 1792
John - baptised: 6 July 1794
Benjamin - baptised: 29 Nov 1795
Joseph and Mary both baptised: 9 July 1797
Richard - baptised: 11 May 1800

I have a possible death for Zachary (if his full name was Zachariah): -
Zachariah Aston buried 11 May 1823 at St Mary’s, Old Swinford, Worcestershire. Age: 59. Person Abode: Amblecote. Register Entry No: 2368. Source: FreeReg and Ancestry.

If the above deceased was Zachary, this means he was born around 1764 and was 26 years old when the first child, Sarah was baptised at St. Mary’s, OldSwinford.

The above leaves me wondering if Zachary and Ann were married in another county, may have earlier children prior to Sarah before moving to Amblecote, Staffordshire (Aston’s Fold, Hay Green, Lye, Worcestershire), which is on the road from Lye towards Amblecote. The occupation of their descendants were mostly in the Clay/coal mining.

I have searched for further records via Ancestry, Family Search, GRO and FreeReg to no avail and am wondering if there are other methods in finding Zachary Aston (B: Abt.1764) and Ann?

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Zachary Aston (B: 1764) and Ann
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 15:26 GMT (UK) »
As you say you have checked on Ancestry, then you do  have a subscription, and although due to copyright I can't put any info on here, you can have another look and find what I have just found. Search on his full name Zachariah Aston b. 1764 spouse Ann, and it will bring a tree up for you. It goes back a couple of generations and will need checking out of course. If you have a problem with finding it PM me.
Regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 19:12 GMT (UK) »
As you say you have checked on Ancestry, then you do  have a subscription, and although due to copyright I can't put any info on here, you can have another look and find what I have just found. Search on his full name Zachariah Aston b. 1764 spouse Ann, and it will bring a tree up for you. It goes back a couple of generations and will need checking out of course. If you have a problem with finding it PM me.
Regards.

Hi, Yes I subscribe to Ancestry and have now changed from Zachary to Zachariah but no luck so tried Zachariah Asson and bingo! Got the baptism for Zachary as well as a marriage to Ann at Kinver! Here I was thinking all the sources were on FindMyPast, which I don't subscribe. Should have thought of changing to Asson although I did try Astin and Astun. Other trees don't seem to have sources to back them up. I doubt they'd go all the way down to London just to baptise one of their babies... Thanks

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Cornelius Aston/Asson death: November 1797?
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 20 18:53 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked through the deaths/gravestones inscriptions at Old Swinford St Mary's and cannot find a death/burial for Cornelius Aston/Asson.

The mind boggles to where other trees have got his death date as November 1797 from??

I'm now wondering if there is another church in Old Swinford area, he could have been buried at?

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius Aston/Asson death: November 1797?
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 20 19:16 GMT (UK) »
I have just looked through the deaths/gravestones inscriptions at Old Swinford St Mary's and cannot find a death/burial for Cornelius Aston/Asson.

The mind boggles to where other trees have got his death date as November 1797 from??

I'm now wondering if there is another church in Old Swinford area, he could have been buried at?

FindMyPast has. National Burial Index For England & Wales

Cornelius Asson  age 65, buried 08 Dec 1797 at St Mary’s Old Swinford

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cornelius Aston/Asson death: November 1797?
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 December 20 10:44 GMT (UK) »

FindMyPast has. National Burial Index For England & Wales

Cornelius Asson  age 65, buried 08 Dec 1797 at St Mary’s Old Swinford

Thank you. 

Age 65? This would have Cornelius being born in 1732, which would have been a more realistic age than being baptised on 29 Apr 1722 at Broseley, Shropshire, England. If he was born in 1722, then he would have been 75 when he died? Looks like there is another Cornelius Asson baptised during 1732 also married to a Mary that I have not come across via Ancestry and Family Search?

You would have thought I would be able to find this burial but no, this burial wasn't to be found on a BMSGH CD on Worcestershire Monumental Inscriptions, which has over 100,000 names from 175+ graveyards and burial grounds. Found a few Astons but no Cornelius! :'(

Offline AdamsHodgetts

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 December 20 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Found this Cornelius Ashton via FS: -

Christening
Event Date: 13 Aug 1732
Event Place: Old Swinford, Worcestershire, England
Event Place (Original): Old Swinford, Worcester, England
Name: Cornelius Ashton