Author Topic: Baptized in Bath but born in East Indies? Philip Justice Captain 108th Regt.  (Read 918 times)

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptized in Bath but born in East Indies? Philip Justice Captain 108th Regt.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »
Phillip born India and then all Family or just Elizabeth home to England a few mths later where he was Bapt.

The Bath Chronicle and Weekly Gazette of 1 June 1843 (page 3) notes the arrival in town of Lieut.Col Justice.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptized in Bath but born in East Indies? Philip Justice Captain 108th Regt.
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 15:11 GMT (UK) »
if you have access to British Library Newspapers you can see this entry in  "The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register for British India and its Dependencies"
How do I filter for this journal please? India or Asia do not come up in the drop down list for countries when I click the 'US & World' option. I have a soldier who went to India with the 87th in 1849 & would like to search for any BMDs there to ascertain whether his wife went too. I have FindMyPast subs
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 01:25 GMT (UK) »
For interest, there is a marriage notice:

"Sept. 19, At Madras, Capt. W. Justice, 5th regt. N.I., to Elizabeth Sophia, second daughter of Capt. Stephen Prendergast of H.M. 8th regt."
The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register for British India and its Dependencies, Mar. 1, 1832

and another birth notice:
"Dec. 3. At Palamcottah, the lady of Major W. Justice, 5th N.I., of a daughter."
The Asiatic Journal and Monthly Register for British India and its Dependencies, Mar. 1, 1841

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 01:34 GMT (UK) »

How do I filter for this journal please? India or Asia do not come up in the drop down list for countries when I click the 'US & World' option. I have a soldier who went to India with the 87th in 1849 & would like to search for any BMDs there to ascertain whether his wife went too. I have FindMyPast subs

Josey, I access British Library Newspapers through my library card and use the Gale Primary Sources database. You can "browse publications" which will lead to the Asiatic Journal. Or if you search for a name (for example, "W Justice") and then limit via "Newspapers and Periodicals" and then further with "Publication Title".

Not sure how the findmypast newspaper search works. Hope that helps!  :)

If you like, send me a pm and I'll have a look for you, or start a new thread.  ;) :)

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you maddys52, have sent a pm.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON