Author Topic: 1907 Newspaper Article - Fatal Motor Car Accident near Twynholm  (Read 692 times)

Offline DianneECC

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1907 Newspaper Article - Fatal Motor Car Accident near Twynholm
« on: Tuesday 22 December 20 07:51 GMT (UK) »
On a visit to Scotland way back in 2003 (my second visit of 3) I transcribed an Article about a Fatal Motor Car Accident in September 1907 at Conchieton near Twynholm as the Library then did not have the facility to copy Microfiche.  I have unfortunately torn the transcription and lost the bottom half of it.  Is there anyone who would be able to look it up for me for the final couple of sentences.
My Nanas youngest sister was killed by one of the first cars on the road, and we also believe that there was some kind of court case about it although i was never able to find proof that.
I think the Newspaper article was in the paper published 20th September 1907.

"FATAL MOTOR CAR ACCIDENT NEAR TWYNHOLM"
On Wednesday evening, a sad fatality occured near Gatehill Lodge, on the Twynholm Road when a little girl, Elizabeth May Carson aged 8 years, daughter of Robert Carson, farmer Conchieton, was killed by a motor car.  The Car which belongs to Mr James Bone of Brooklands, and was being driven by Mr Harold Dobie, Castle Douglas, was returning from Stranraer with Mr Bone and a part of gentleman.  It appears that the deceased girl .........

the rest i am missing.

I would be very grateful if anyone in KKD is able to help.
Kind regards,
Dianne (New Zealand)

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1907 Newspaper Article - Fatal Motor Car Accident near Twynholm
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 09:37 GMT (UK) »
...and a party of gentlemen.  Approaching Gate Gill Lodge, he slowed to pass carts a d then came across a group of women and children standing on the road. The group divided to allow the car to pass, but the girl Carson attempted to cross the road too late and was knocked down. The car was at once pulled up but the girl was found to be dead. The wheels did not go over the body, but she was crushed by the axle and underworks. Mr Bone reported the affair to the police on arrival at Castle Douglas.

That one was from 20 September 1907 - Aberdeen Press and Journal . It seems to be in a few papers with very slight variances in wording.