Author Topic: Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas  (Read 5609 times)

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas
« on: Tuesday 22 December 20 09:30 GMT (UK) »
It does make me wonder how many people will be giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas.

Here we are with a massive spike in cases, and families are getting together for Christmas as they are not forbidden from doing so.

As I type this, two ambulances have gone past in the last minute or so.

I can understand that it can be a very isolating time for people at the best of times and the need for company.

How many people will break whatever rules or guidance over Christmas, or how many safeguards will be thrown out of the (closed) window?

We've come this far, surely we can hang on a bit longer. The first dose of vaccine has already been given to half a million people here in the UK so far.

Take care everybody, love your family, love your neighbour. Let's not give the gift of Covid-19.
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Christmas at any other time of year is not Christmas.  It may be a family get together but without the razzamatazz of christmas it just won't feel the same.

Can't really see how people from a covid free household, who have isolated in the days before christmas day who will travel enclosed in their own private vehicle to another covid free household who has also isolated are prime targets to spread it.

Own toilet facilities, distanced at table, windows cracked open and sitting on own sofa so no real mixing.  And saw a diagram the other day of how, in a restaurant setting, covid was spread to socially distanced people via the ventilation system as there was more in the air than previously thought.  That doesn't bode well for opening windows does it - you will be letting the virus in.

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Nic.

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 10:58 GMT (UK) »
I live in Thurrock.

I will not be seeing any family who live at different addresses.  Just standing in the front garden to wish them Merry Christmas.  Yesterday I was collecting up food shopping for my little group of pensioners. Given that we are in Tier 4 it still amazes me how many ignore the advice put in place to keep us safe.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nic, I live in Thurrock and today my husband has managed to get his Covid jab at our local hospital  on Christmas eve, the hospital is rife with Covid so I am really worried, Christmas isn't cancelled, just the  celebrations postponed to a happier time and call it something else

I will see my family probably on the doorstep, will ring a few friends on their own and might even call into a friend on her own and talk to her through her patio door, will save my glass of wine till I come back

We have to make  the best of it this year

Stay safe

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
And saw a diagram the other day of how, in a restaurant setting, covid was spread to socially distanced people via the ventilation system as there was more in the air than previously thought.  That doesn't bode well for opening windows does it - you will be letting the virus in.

Was the restaurant ventilation system re-circulating air?
Opening a window at home is letting different air in from outside (I won't say "fresh air" as it depends where the home is situated), it's not letting the virus in. You might get a chill from sitting near an open window but you won't catch a virus.
All windows on a bus were open. I spent 40 minutes huddled-up against the draught on a cold, windy December day. I had to balance risks of being cold, inhaling traffic fumes through my mask, and Covid. The bus journey was necessary, returning from a hospital visit. Total number of passengers was 6. My area was in Tier 4 then. Came out of Tier 4 on 11th December and will return to it on Boxing Day.
Jason Leitch, Scotland's medical guru warned ages ago that Christmas wouldn't be normal. Nicola Sturgeon told us a week ago to limit visits to 1 day at Christmas. She said she intended to meet her parents for a walk but wouldn't be having Christmas dinner with them.   
Cowban

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 17:33 GMT (UK) »
We are sticking to the rules.... just the two of us and the rest of the family on zoom so we can enjoy our Christmas lunches together safely without infecting each other..,
.it’s one day .... and we’ve come this far.... it’s the sensible thing to do in my opinion... we have two young grandsons who have been at school and could be asymmetric... they both had a tests a couple weeks ago and were negative but still not worth the risk I’m afraid... we don’t live close enough to do the garden thing and they are in tier 4 anyway and us in tier 2.....
We’ve decided to have a big family celebration when ever we can all come together safely... how ever long it takes....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »
We made the decision back at the beginning of December that it wouldn't be safe to meet up with our daughter over Christmas (she usually comes to stay for a few days but this year we had hoped to go and stay with her in her new house). So planned a quiet Christmas with just Mr Marma and myself. Good decision -- she is in Tier 4, so we are not allowed to meet anyway.
Son said back in the summer he would not be coming over from Switzerland until he is able to fly over without having to quarantine at each end of the trip.
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 17:50 GMT (UK) »
And saw a diagram the other day of how, in a restaurant setting, covid was spread to socially distanced people via the ventilation system as there was more in the air than previously thought.  That doesn't bode well for opening windows does it - you will be letting the virus in.

Was the restaurant ventilation system re-circulating air?      I don't know specifically but it implied that you get it as this variant was circulating in the air much more so than the previous one.
Opening a window at home is letting different air in from outside (I won't say "fresh air" as it depends where the home is situated), it's not letting the virus in. You might get a chill from sitting near an open window but you won't catch a virus.
All windows on a bus were open. I spent 40 minutes huddled-up against the draught on a cold, windy December day. I had to balance risks of being cold, inhaling traffic fumes through my mask, and Covid. The bus journey was necessary, returning from a hospital visit. Total number of passengers was 6. My area was in Tier 4 then. Came out of Tier 4 on 11th December and will return to it on Boxing Day.
Jason Leitch, Scotland's medical guru warned ages ago that Christmas wouldn't be normal. Nicola Sturgeon told us a week ago to limit visits to 1 day at Christmas. She said she intended to meet her parents for a walk but wouldn't be having Christmas dinner with them.
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 22 December 20 17:54 GMT (UK) »
We are sticking to the rules.... just the two of us and the rest of the family on zoom so we can enjoy our Christmas lunches together safely without infecting each other..,
.it’s one day .... and we’ve come this far.... it’s the sensible thing to do in my opinion...

Caroline

Exactly how we feel for one day it's not worth the risk better to be safe than sorry   :)