Author Topic: Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas  (Read 5602 times)

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Giving the gift of Covid-19 this Christmas
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 24 December 20 12:55 GMT (UK) »
I just read something on msn news about the covid vaccine. Apparently 2 surgeries one in macclesfield and another in rushden northampton had unusuable vaccines. 975 doses in each batch, seems to be a refridgeration issue. Patients were rang to say they had to wait another 3 weeks. Let alone the health aspects how expensive was that.Dunno what price we got with a deal but its really expensive. Don't know whether happen pre arrival at surgery or at the surgeries. That was always gonna be a risk with that vaccine.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 24 December 20 12:59 GMT (UK) »
I just read something on msn news about the covid vaccine. Apparently 2 surgeries one in macclesfield and another in rushden northampton had unusuable vaccines. 975 doses in each batch, seems to be a refridgeration issue. Patients were rang to say they had to wait another 3 weeks. Let alone the health aspects how expensive was that.Dunno what price we got with a deal but its really expensive. Don't know whether happen pre arrival at surgery or at the surgeries. That was always gonna be a risk with that vaccine.

With all this bad luck - Somebody has obviously broken a mirror and hasn't yet owned up.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 24 December 20 14:23 GMT (UK) »

I had heard about the Rushden, Northants surgery issues the other day as it’s my area... apparently their refrigerator broke down.... it’s so worrying to think that these vital precious cargos are having simplistic issues... wouldn’t you have two refrigerators just in case for this reason.... I know I would... it’s a criminal waste of vaccine... along with the Macclesfield one too... how many more are being wasted I wonder...

Caroline

Aroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 24 December 20 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Roll on the Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccine that doesn't present such refrigeration problems.  But will all these new vaccines deal with the new variants? :-\
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 24 December 20 15:52 GMT (UK) »
Roll on the Oxford-Astra Zeneca vaccine that doesn't present such refrigeration problems.  But will all these new vaccines deal with the new variants? :-\

So far, yes. If future mutations change the shape of the spike proteins enough to render the vaccines ineffective, it apparently won't take much tweaking of the vaccine to get them locking on again.

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 24 December 20 16:11 GMT (UK) »

So far, yes. If future mutations change the shape of the spike proteins enough to render the vaccines ineffective, it apparently won't take much tweaking of the vaccine to get them locking on again.

That's right once a vaccine has been developed slight tweeks are fairly simple (for the experts that is) so can be produced faster just like a new flu vaccine every year
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 24 December 20 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Science really is amazing.

Offline Jool

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • James Dodson, beautifully restored by mozza29
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 12:15 GMT (UK) »
On the 29th December OH received an alert on his NHS Covid-19 app to say he had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive (this could only have been at work, he works in a large Royal Mail sorting centre).  It said he should self isolate for 5 days, the norm is 10 days so obviously the first 5 days of his isolation had aready gone without him knowing about it.

OH and I stayed at home for Christmas day rather spend it with family to keep everyone safe.  Had we chosen to spend Christmas Day with family he could have been a risk to them (some elderly/vulnerable) without even knowing that he should have been self isolating on that day.

I'm so glad we made the sensible decision for Christmas.
Robbins - Wolverhampton.
Spooner - Monmouthshire & Wolverhampton.
Warner & Loundes - Dudley/West Bromwich.
Dod(g)son - Heysham/Liverpool/Wolverhampton

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 12:39 GMT (UK) »
On the 29th December OH received an alert on his NHS Covid-19 app to say he had been in close contact with someone who had tested positive (this could only have been at work, he works in a large Royal Mail sorting centre).  It said he should self isolate for 5 days, the norm is 10 days so obviously the first 5 days of his isolation had aready gone without him knowing about it.

OH and I stayed at home for Christmas day rather spend it with family keep everyone safe.  Had we chosen to spend Christmas Day with family he could have been a risk to them (some elderly/vulnerable) without even knowing that he should have been self isolating on that day.

I'm so glad we made the sensible decision for Christmas.

My daughter had 9hrs left of isolation when we were contacted.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others