Author Topic: John McKenzie  (Read 820 times)

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John McKenzie
« on: Wednesday 23 December 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
John McKenzie (born circa 1800) married Margaret Coutts (baptised 26 Apr 1789 Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire) on the 14 June 1829 at Glenmuick. They had the following children:
Lewis (born or baptised 20 July 1829, Glenmuick)
James (born or baptised 23 January 1831, Glenmuick)
Margaret (born or baptised 10 October 1831, Glenmuick or Strathdon)
John (born or baptised 24 August 1834, Glenmuick)
Helen (born 23 July 1836, Glenmuick, baptised 24 July 1836, Strathdon)

John, along with son John and daughters Margaret and Helen sailed for Victoria, Australia aboard the sailing barque 'Elizabeth' leaving London on the 21 August 1850.

There is no mention of his wife Margaret as being with the family. A look at the 1841 Census transcription reveals that Margaret was not with the family.

My questions are:

Did Margaret die sometime between the birth of daughter Helen and the taking of the 1841 Census. If she did, has anyone access to church records for the Glenmuick area?

Who were Margaret's parents?

Thank you in hope.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John McKenzie
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
What about the other boys - Lewis, James, - do you know what happened to them? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Good point - I haven't looked at them yet. I was more focused on Helen as she married into part of my family that went to Australia as well.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
I rather fear that you may be out of luck.

According to https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/files//research/list-of-oprs/list-of-oprs-168-249.pdf there are no death or burial records in the registers of the parish of Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn.

There is no mention of Margaret Coutts or McKenzie in the index to gravestones in Glenmuick at http://www.anesfhs.org.uk/databank/miindex/miindex.php

The Kirk Session records of Glenmuick, Tullich and Glengairn have almost certainly not survived, because they are not listed in the catalogue of the National Records of Scotland.

So it is very likely that there is no record of the death of Margaret Coutts or McKenzie. Also, as Lewis is not with his family in 1841, and James did not emigrate with his father and siblings, it's quite likely that they died young, and that there is no record of their deaths.

It's unusual to find two records of the same baptism in different parishes. Have you looked at the originals to see if they say why?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for checking. I will have to purchase some credits to ScotlandsPeople to investigate further and hopefully see the original register entries.

Offline HeartofScoAncestry

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 21 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi.  I can't help you with Margaret Coutts but I think we may be related through the McKenzie line. My 4 x gt grandfather was a Lewis McKenzie born about 1790 at Glenmuick, Aberdeenshire. His parents (from his death record in 1860) was a James McKenzie and Margaret Brown. One of their children was a John McKenzie whose baptismal record for 1799 is held on Scotlandspeople, under the Roman Catholic Records for Ballater, St Nathalan which is in same area as Glenmuick.  There is another John McKenzie, baptised in same year and same place whose parents was Lewis McKenzie and Annie Cameron who I think may be your ancestors based on the scottish naming pattern (although not always 100% reliable).

I have two ancestors who were Lewis McKenzie and the name Lewis continued to one of my great uncles.  It may be that my James McKenzie and your ancestors were either brothers or cousins but good chance of a connection.

Sorry I can't help you with Margaret but will be happy to share any information on the McKenzie line.

Regards,

Gary Lawrie
Stirling, Scotland