Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 23rd December  (Read 1747 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 23rd December
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Candleflame and Caroline. It's actually hnging on the wall now.  :)

Annette, it would have been okay to have another thread for a diary, didn't want to take over with my painting. It didn't occur to me that I would cross with anyone so early in the day!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Annette, I completely understand, I felt very much the same some time ago when we went into tier 3. As I live alone and all of my friends were in bubbles with other people, the only way I've been able to meet anyone is outdoors. No-one has been in my house since early this year, before any sign of the pandemic was known to us. Other people were meeting outdoors in groups in the summer but I felt too nervous to do that, it was only in September that I went out for lunch a couple of times but come October that was the end of that. I felt very much the same as you - angry and upset, but I realised that as there was nothing I could do about it I just had to get on with it. You will get used to it, and bear in mind that the people are now receiving the vaccine which will undoubtedly improve things. Things will get better, stay strong, you can do it.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 23:46 GMT (UK) »
Wow :o Fantastic. Thank you Roobarb, Love it.
It's great to see what you have been telling us about.
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 23:50 GMT (UK) »
As for daily diary:

It rained all day today, one of less than five when I didn't go out for my daily walk. Kept looking out to see if it had stopped or even almost stopped but no. Instead I did a very thorough clean of the bathroom, put some washing in and hung it to dry indoors, spent most of the afternoon talking to two friends on the phone and to another one in the evening.
Seems there's no good news for anyone today, more areas going up a tier, another strain of the virus. Nothing we can do except continue to be careful and hang on in there, it will pass.

Would love to hear some good news. Any more porpoises MH?
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 December 20 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Annette- I can empathise with you entirely... it’s soul destroying and probably coming at this time of year, non sunny warm days it makes it feel that much more stressful...
but hang in there as Roobarb says we can’t do anything about it we just have to try and make the best of it... and think about spring time and being able to see you delightful gt nieces and what pleasure they’ll bring to all your family.

Take care of yourself and try and enjoy Christmas Day with whichever of your family you’ll be with.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 December 20 00:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carol so pleased you like it. Something to cool you down in all that lovely sunshine.  :)  Hope all is well with you
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 24 December 20 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Well Roobarb I don’t think I’m going to be the bearer of good new I’m afraid!

My day started listening and watching the rain.... as you say on and off all day mostly on... not cold though... although the only time I saw the outside was when I opened the front door to give the postman the parcel! OH watched as the rain seem to creep further up the patio after each deluge and then recede when it died down a little...
Electric lights on all day...
Sent an e-card to a friend who I’d heard yesterday had fallen and damaged her shoulder... had a reply back to say she’s got to have more X-rays in two weeks... no operation as yet but she’s in more pain with it than when she fell over the dog onto a protruding tree root while out walking and broke her pelvis.,she’d also forgotten to take her mobile phone with her so she let the dig loose and it arrives back home and then took her hubbie to where she was... smart dog!
Did the ironing in the morning and listened to the radio and felt relieved and reassured to hear that actually supermarkets were not suffering from panic buying, as the BBC Would have you believe and prices were cheaper this year than last as they’re all competing for our money!
After lunch I thought I’d do some cooking... I’m usually doing that at this time of year so not wanting to break with tradition I did... not quite the same just doing it for the two of us but never mind...
I made some sausage rolls one lot with short pastry and one with puff... OH tasted one and decided they were still up to my usual standard... well thanks very much!
Next I’d found a recipe from Lakeland for Christmas Stollen squares...  using a rectangular tin...make a biscuit base cook for 15 mins, cool add grated marzipan then make a cake mixture add almond essence and rum soaked raisins and cherries ( I bought brandy soaked fruit from Lidl’s just as good) put on top of biscuit and marzipan bake for 35 mins... once cool drizzle over with icing... cut into squares .... and of course taste to check it’s ok! Next time I’ll add more fruit I think but otherwise very nice!
I cut some plums added star anise, cinnamon stick and nutmeg, water just bring to the boil and ready to have on cereal..
It was so dull, wet and dark that I actually drew all the curtains at 3.15... couldn’t bear to look at it anymore... had tree lights on also little fibre optic one that’s in the hall... was my mums and she loved it... always commented in January when it was put away... couldn’t it stay out for a bit longer... reminds me of her everytime I switch it on...put all the little strings of led battery lights on too, wound up the stairs, over the mantelpiece... on glass shelf in the kitchen... just brightened the place up...
Heard on the radio we’ll be in tier3 from Boxing Day.... others in tier 4... new strain from SA... all those lorries in Kent ... thanks Monsuir Macron. Mind you we’ve been a bit slow providing the necessities for them... what a debacle the whole thing is...
At least it looks like we might have a trade deal though.... have they sold the fisheries down the swanny... all will be revealed...
Dinner was oven cooked lamb chops with new pots, green beans, mushrooms, peppers and onions..
Watched tv... nothing much worth seeing... did watch on Ch 5 about Christmas during the war years... interesting ...
Well early start (again) in the morning to go to the greengrocers before the masses...
I’m sure everyone has felt a little deflated today.... hope tomorrow is better...
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 24 December 20 00:38 GMT (UK) »
So sorry to hear of your increasing rates of infection and deaths.
Last night (23rd) the T.V. news was mostly about the UK and USA and the battle against the new Strain that is 70% easier to transmit.
I just had a look at one of the online Papers here and it is all about travelling over the holiday period. Roads in gridlock and motor accidents happening. People are not able to travel overseas so its time to see New Zealand. We are warned that there will be more traffic on the roads this year.
It is my Son's birthday tomorrow (25th) but I will be staying home. I will ring him instead.
I made a quick trip out to the shops this morning to pick up a few things I needed. Big mistake, roads busy, supermarkets fill and people fighting for car parks. Got what I wanted and headed home.
Boxing Day sales starting tonight not waiting till boxing day.
Please enjoy your Christmas day as best as you can.
WHO has said Santa is immune as children worried Santa will not come.
I am thinking off you all at this trying time.
Be Safe Stay Strong.
Carol

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
and many more.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 24 December 20 00:45 GMT (UK) »
No Sunshine today where I am. We have Rain ;D I must say the gardens need it. Fine tomorrow though.
Stay Safe Stay Strong
Carol

and many more.