Author Topic: Harriet Davies  (Read 1234 times)

Offline Auckland1962

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Davies
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 December 20 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Greetings Alan
Always know her to be Harriet and so does everyone else that knew her. Born 11th of May 1879 died in Manchester 1970, aged 91. I know all about her while she was in Manchester from her marriage in 1900. Where she lived etc. I even know something of her life prior to getting to Manchester, but its where she was born, and a birth certificate, once I can find that I can then establish her fathers name. I might have to settle on John as being her father and not George as on her marriage certificate.
Ron

Online osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 December 20 19:46 GMT (UK) »
This may be a possible from the 1891 census although not a match for date of birth given on death reg

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:W9XF-SW2

I think the same girl is a nurse child with the same family in 1881 but named Hannah not Harriet

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q27J-1RCJ

Possible birth reg
Harriet Davies dec qtr 1877 Ellesmere vol 6a pg 743 mother's maiden name blank

:-\
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline kd

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 December 20 06:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am confused.

You say Harriet died 1970 age 91.

In 1939 she is living with 2 sons and has the name Ellison wriiten Pemberton is crossed out, she married John T Ellison in 1942.

There is a death for Harriet Ellison in  June 1974 that gives the same birth date as 1939.

Is this the correct Harriet and  is the same father named on the marriage to John T Ellison?
Jenkins
Morris
knowles
Coleman

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 20 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

You may want to just try purchasing a couple of potential birth certificates (and if they are wrong it rules them out) - The GRO site has a list of 25 Harriet Davies born in 1879. In the Shropshire area there are principally 2 - are they worth considering -

Harriet Davies - June Qtr 1879 District Forden 11b/215 mothers maiden name Davies or
Harriet Elizabeth Davies - March Qtr District Atcham 6a/739 mothers maiden name Lee

My own inclination would be to buy the first one to see if it helps to solve the problem.

Alan

PS - is her birth date 17 March 1879 and not as previously shown

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 02:52 GMT (UK) »
Always know her to be Harriet and so does everyone else that knew her.

It is not unusual to see names mistranscribed by enumerators in their copies of the original returns.  Some handwriting was just as difficult to read then as it is now.

I might have to settle on John as being her father and not George as on her marriage certificate.

Don't do that.  You don't know anything about Harriet - she may have been illegitimate, or born with a different surname, so many possibilities.

Debra  :D

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 January 21 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ron,

I have looked at this problem again and am starting to wonder wonder if her father was actually John.

Her 1900 marriage certificate shows both fathers christian names as George - if this is an error (which is possible), probably the only things you can rely on are her father had died and he was a farm labourer. Also you have her birth date 17 March 1879.

A John Davies (agricultural labourer) was living in Whittington, Shropshire in 1891 and whilst Harriet is not there 5 of the 6 children shown were born in Whittington (the only exception being Thomas age 10 born in Chuchstoke). This leads me to wonder if Harriet said Whittington when asked because her parents lived there? John (a farm labourer) died 27 Jan 1896 according to some trees on Ancestry - this would fit.

The family in 1881 (Wales census for Montgomeryshire) included a Harriet (born Chirbury) living at Oak Cottage, Churchstoke - John is still shown as an agricultural labourer.

To see if it is her I would get hold of the birth certificate for the Forden district and if this shows the right birth date you may have found the answer.

Good luck

Alan

Offline Auckland1962

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 January 21 01:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello Alan

My apologies for not replying since your last message. It has been our Christmas holiday season here in New Zealand and my partner and I have been touring the South Island. I'm just going through my emails now I'm back home. I've found out that my grand mother married again in 1942, so I'm waiting on her marriage certificate (from the GRO) to see if she changed the name of her father. I hope it was John then I can start the trail anew. I hear what you say about mistakes, having only really started into this genealogy properly in the last few years, I'm finding that there are quite a few mistake sin records and that you have to sometime take things with a "pinch of salt"
Thank you for all your effort
Ron Pemberton