Author Topic: James Baker Will snr 1803 Longburton Dorset death 1812  (Read 261 times)

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Baker Will snr 1803 Longburton Dorset death 1812
« on: Thursday 24 December 20 14:35 GMT (UK) »
In the name of God AmenI James Baker senior in the parish of Longburton in the County of Dorset labour being in sound mind ? reflecting on the uncertainty of life do make this my last wilol and testament this 13/3/1803  after ? my soul to the almighty through the mercies of my saviour. I dispose of my wordly effects in the following manner ? First I give my house I now occupy with the garden thereto belonging and also in any ? together with a plot of ground lately enclosed from the ? by the consent of Mark Davis esq in my all which are in the parish of Longburton to my daughter Mercy the wife of Ellis Jeans together with all the household goods and furniture. I ?? off for her natural life only accepting? one of the beds with bedstead and furniture thereto belonging but the aforesaid Mercy is to pay her brother George yearly and every year after my ?the sum of 20s for the holding ? of the ?enclosed plot which with ?bedstead and furniture thereto belonging ? Mentioned in my request to my son George now residing in the city of London and after the decease of the aforesaid mentioned Mercy Jeans my daughter my will is that the house and garden plot mentioned to my son George foir his natural life only at the cecease of his daughter M? fROM HER ??ETC ETC after the decease of my will ??? the said house etc etc then I don't understand the words at the end when he has put his cross. Many thanks Mark

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James Baker Will snr 1803 Longburton Dorset death 1812
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 December 20 14:36 GMT (UK) »
sorry I am having difficulty getting all attached. will with Ancestry. Thanks

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 December 20 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark, if you just post a section a bit at a time, you should be able to attach the portions of it, make sure you rename the file.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 December 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
......... county of Dorset Labourer........

...........but reflecting.........

.......after
recommending my soul...........  mercies of my
Saviour I dispose (no full stop between ‘saviour’ and ‘I dispose’)

...in the following manner
(viz) first I give........

......... and also in my possession.......

.......enclosed from the waste.........

........goods and furniture I die possessed off  .......

...life only excepting one of the beds.........

..........after my decease
the sum of twenty shillings for holding possession of the newly enclosed
plot which with the bed bedstead and furniture thereunto belonging
above mentioned in my bequest.........

....above mentioned do belong to  my son George.........

...only and at his decease to be his daughter Mary’s for her own
disposal next my will is that my son James is to have and possess
for his natural life only the House he now occupys with the
garden thereto belonging lying in the parish of Longburton
aforesaid and after his decease my will is that the said house
and garden are to be his eldest son’s named John at his own dis-
posal, and I do constitute and appoint my daughter Mercy Jeans
the sole executrix to this my last will and testament
Signed sealed published and declared this 13th of March 1803    the mark
           in the presence of Henry King                                                  +
                 Sarah(?) Winter Penelope King                                   of James Baker

viz = ‘in other words’

It might have been easier to find had you said it came under Wiltshire wills, and not the PCC or Dorset wills!
You have a couple of typos in there - added an 'o' to 'will', and 'cecease' instead of 'decease', which I expect you would have corrected when you checked it.
The bottom is pretty squashed up. But as you can see, after the date '1803', is 'the mark'.
This then follows under the seal with 'of James Baker'.

For future reference,  a transcription should be written starting a new line whenever the original starts a new line. That makes it much easier to find a specific word within the will by counting down the lines. (Some documents are huge, and it would be impossible to find anything if you just wrote it all in one long piece without line breaks). It should also be written without 'modernising' spellings, (this doesn't really apply here as it's only from 1803, but as you get further back, spelling was very variable).
'Write what you see' is the best practice advice.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline mark foot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 15:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your very helpful assistance. Sorry for my delay to thanks but I have not had access to my computer. Thank you and keep safe. Mark