Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 24th December - Christmas Eve  (Read 767 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 24th December - Christmas Eve
« on: Thursday 24 December 20 23:50 GMT (UK) »
As it's Christmas eve I might be singing solo on today's diary thread, people still busy despite the restrictions. Nothing particularly interesting about my day I'm afraid.

Think I created a new record for myself, it was around 5am when I finally got to sleep, things going round in my head that weren't even worth the bother. As a result I slept very late this morning. I was desperate to get out for a walk after being indoors all day yesterday. The weather was strange, sunshine one minute and rain the next. It seemed to have dried up when I went out but it was really cold. Went around the walkways then the woods, the path wasn't quite as muddy as I expected after so much rain yesterday. Was on the way home when it started raining, really icy rain, I just got inside in time, it was turning to sleet.

Later on I pulled the furniture out and hoovered the lounge then the rest of the house. Was sitting down with a cup of tea when I got a doorstep visit from my ex partner and his mother, she'd brought me a present. Actually she sat in the car while he came to the door, don't blame her, it was freezing rain by then. Short chat and off they went. After that I just read and messed about on the computer. Fish for tea with accompaniments, and a couple of glasses of wine.

Hope everyone has as happy a Christmas day as possible.   :-*
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 24th December - Christmas Eve
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 December 20 00:13 GMT (UK) »
You're not alone ;)
Just finished my Christmas Lunch. Roast leg of lamb, Beans, Carrots, Sweet potato, Roast potatoes and baby potatoes with a glass of Sherry.
Just wanted to wish you all a Happy Christmas.
Stay Safe Stay Strong.
Carol
P.S Fine day with a bit of wind and not too hot.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 December 20 00:33 GMT (UK) »
My goodness that was a late getting to sleep time... I’m not surprised you woke late...
Very brave to get out for a walk if the weather was like that... think you folk living up in the north of the country are hardier souls than us southern Nancy’s! Well than me then 😢...
You certainly got the cleaning bug... I know it’s past the shortest day but it’s not spring yet you know.... you’ll put us all to shame!

The alarm went off at 6.30 am this morning... still darkish outside... up and dressed... OH decided he’d come with me ...off to the greengrocers... the roads were pretty busy which surprised us... long queue outside the bakery ( not one I use) ... no one else in the greengrocers ... we then drove home via the bakery I do use...past the butchers and at 7.20 am the queue was half way down the road... glad I wasn’t stopping there.. Bakery one other inside.... all done and home by 7.30! Driving back through the village we were suddenly confronted with part of a tree that had obviously come down in the wind last night and was hanging halfway across the road... luckily OH’s reactions are pretty good and he managed to swerve past it without it touching or damaging my car... phew. Time for a much needed cuppa..
OH wanted to go to Waitrose they open at 8am so suggested he went as he might be queuing...
he was soon back.. no queue straight in... he’d been to buy me two new orchids as one I’ve had for 10 years finally given up the ghost... only house plants I’m any good at growing... before throwing it away I’d got three, two ten yrs old and one five... now I’ve got four... very pretty the ones he bought... they all sit on the kitchen window sills seem to thrive there...
Thought I’d message our son to see if he wanted to FaceTime as I know they’re out tomorrow and staying overnight... had a lovely long chat with him and DiL... very warm and humid out there.... don’t seem to have many restrictions  there so life pretty normal...unlike ours.
To cold to hang the washing out so put in the siring cupboard and bathroom..
After lunch we had a game of scrabble... I won so now just three down!
Thought I’d give the oven a Christmas clean  and set the pyrolitic cleaner... came up with error message... did that once before so OH had to turn off the switch then back on again and fortunately it worked... now have nice clean oven!
Sorted the turkey out for cooking tomorrow and got dinner ready... salmon with herb crust baked in the oven with vegs ...
Watched some tv...
Not our usual Christmas Eve... usually at our daughters trying to calm down two excited boys,... prepare things for Christmas Day... they usually have friends in for drinks... last year we all went to Somerset House to see the gingerbread exhibition... all made by architect companies... unbelievable what they created... then we had lunch out and a stroll along the embankment before returning to daughters for the boys to bake their own gingerbread creations! What a difference a year makes....

Wishing everyone a happy Christmas Day....

Caroline

Can’t believe brexit deal finally announced .....
added - glad you’ve had a lovely lunch Carol, sounds delicious... Happy Christmas to you too.  :) :)
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 25 December 20 02:12 GMT (UK) »
Wishing you all as Happy a Christmas as we are able to have right now, each in our own way.

Today my sister visited me after she finished work at 2pm.   We discussed my usual overnight stays on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.   Compromised in the end - staying home tonight and will go over in the morning and stay tomorrow night.   Boxing Day having a link up to see my nephews girls opening their presents from us.   Sister, b-in-law and I have been a 'bubble' for a long time now.   Christmas 'bubble' formed with my niece and family and will see them Christmas Day.   My niece desperate to see her parents especially since having the twins on the 1st.   We are allowed for just the one day and then we are in Tier 4 (from Tier 2).   When I come home on Boxing Day heaven knows when I'll see family again.   Most of us in the same boat though, aren't we?  We'll get through it I know but never dreamt it would be so difficult and take so long.   An unprecedented time in our lives.

Dusted and vacuumed today in honour of my sisters visit and even did some ironing yesterday.   So nice to no longer have black bin bags piled at the top of my stairs.   Niece sent photos of Macy feeding from a bottle (her Mum's milk) - staff had tried her on bottle during the night for the first time and Jo gave her another later in the day and she finished it all.  A bottle that's smaller than the usual one of course.   Darcy is now off the antiobiotics and feeding being reintroduced slowly.  Hope it won't be too long until she can feed from a bottle like her sister.

Enjoy your Christmas Day as best you can and savour the contact you can have via phone and video with your loved ones.

Stay well and safe.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 December 20 10:47 GMT (UK) »
 Carol, almost over for you now, hope you had a good day.

Caroline, up at 6.30, that's the middle of the night! At least you got the shopping out of the way early, that must have been a scary experience on the way home. I was very impressed at you giving the oven a clean, pictured you with rubber gloves and head in the oven  - pressing a button is my kind of oven cleaning!
As for my cleaning- it's not a very big house! Hope you have a good day despite it being very different.

Annette, hope you have a good time even though your celebrations won't last as long this year, still nice for you to be able to get together with family. Good to hear that Darcy is doing well.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 December 20 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Christmas afternoon  here

The day  has  just flown by

My daughter and her family  came about 1pm, I broke open a bottle of bucks fizz and we had that and a  mince pie in the front garden along with a neighbour who isn't going to see anyone ,was a silly  20 mins but cheered us all up, think we needed that, haven't opened a single parcel yet ,might wait till after the Queen's speech,  will  wait  for  homemade Christmas pud,  eaten to much already

Made a few telephone  calls to people  on their own who seem to be quite happy despite it being really strange, doesn't feel like Christmas at all

Enjoy the rest of your day

Louisa maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 25 December 20 16:04 GMT (UK) »
Happy Christmas LM, good to hear you enjoyed the family visit despite the limitations. I'm on my own but perfectly fine, this is my usual Christmas. Glad to hear that those you've spoken to are okay even though it's not their normal Christmas. Hope Santa has brought you what you asked for!  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 25 December 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Well I toldm my husband last weekI had sorted his present,  will be buying him half of kitchen, " oh that's  good " he said," I will buy  you the  other half" present sorted,!!
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 25 December 20 16:10 GMT (UK) »
That'll take some unwrapping!  ;D ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham