Author Topic: Diary 25 December Christmas Day  (Read 1611 times)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary 25 December Christmas Day
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 26 December 20 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Sounds fabulous Diana - I do envy your snow (though I know the novelty wears off). Your pup looks like it was bred for that climate.  :)

I love those sunny cold days Caroline. You and OH are very stoic keeping your Christmas Day as normal as possible. It sounds enjoyable despite being unable to have your lovely family around you.

As you have noticed, there is a bit of a theme going on here with my yearning for some good cold weather.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 26 December 20 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Diana - itís good to hear other peopleís experiences of whatís happening through these times....
Like so many your Christmas was seeing family through a screen! I love Scandinavian Christmas themes.... my son was engaged to a Norwegian girl many moons ago and she came for Christmas armed with all the traditional fare which we had on Christmas Eve.... it was a real treat especially the Akvavit which is delicious and apparently taken in small quantities!
Sorry to hear youíre all now going into lockdown.... bit like all of us then...
We donít hear much about how itís affecting countries like Canada...
Would love to have your snow.... makes it feel more Christmasy!

Ruskie - good to hear you were all able to have a normal family Christmas and in the sunshine! We spent several in NZ when our son lived there... itís very strange to be sitting in shorts and having a bbq! Our DiL did cook a turkey the first time we were out there.... small one cost her an arm and a leg... itís always interesting having other than the norm though!.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 December 20 08:56 GMT (UK) »
What a lot of diverse and interesting posts, telling of conditions in other parts of the globe.
Yesterday was so cold down here in the Uk, I dread to imagine how cold it was on the west coast, north of The Wash, which has always been classified as "The Frozen North" in my mind. But at least you are geared up for it Gibel, with big fleecy blankets and angel friends. I think the idea of your church organ's rude behaviour will stay with me for a long time!!  :-[
I am really struck by the difference in tales from Ruskie and Diana.  In Canada the cold is unspeakable, (what would happen in a power cut there?)  While in Oz it is already too hot, despite my grandaughter informing me it was freezing in Victoria yesterday!!
It is heart warming to know you had such a kind delivery from your neighbours Roobarb, and Caroline as always, staunchly getting on with things while impeccably dressed. What a lovely thing to do....
Our day was much the same as everyone else whose children have flown the nest.
The normal brisk walks, although yesterday total strangers beamed and greeted us in passing, and then a small present exchange after a simple lunch, as we prefer our cooked meal in the early evening.
After all the changes of plans our food shopping was really messed up, so we intended turkey steaks with all the usual trimmings, but quite suddenly decided to marinade and stir fry instead, which turned out surprisingly delicious.
For me the highlight was getting to speak to all 4 of our sons.
My eldest, sufficiently recovered from Covid to be on Dartmoor in the snow with his family.
The next and his fiance enjoying the company of an old friend, and altering their plans yet again in hopes of seeing family before they depart these shores.... if Covid allows.
My youngest calling from Oz after a long day spent with around 20 of his in-laws, and the youngest, sad not to be with his in-laws, but quietly excited, awaiting the arrival of their first child in January.
So all is well with all of them, and their calls will set me up for a few days.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 26 December 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
MH - so glad you were able to speak to all your family... it gives the soul and heart a real boost doesnít it?
You altered plans for Christmas meal sound intriguing.... a last minute change well done you.. not sure Iíd have coped with that... but then my OH is traditional which I donít mind at all!
Yes, itís interesting to hear the experiences of others from around the globe and actually Iíve realised reading the posts that itís one thing that unites us all in our needs and thatís family.... weíve all been brave and stoic in what we say but we all know in our heart of hearts that without family and often close friends times like these are when we miss them....
Perhaps some families will come to realise exactly what not being with them means as Iím sure we all take one another for granted a little.... makes you think doesnít it...
Have a good Boxing Day everyone.... donít think Iím going to put my glad rags on today as well though! 😀

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 26 December 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
I had a lovely Christmas and I feel truly blessed.
The thing I enjoyed the most was having my son in the house. Although he only lives up the road weíve only had doorstep conversations and visits in the garden but being in Edinburgh itís pretty chilly.

We were very careful and we had all been very restrictive before hand, it was so wonderful to feel Ďnormalí

We have old and new traditions for our eats, itís a special day so you might as well have your favourites

Pork pie, has to be Melton Mowbray a tradition from my Midlands Nan for breakfast.

Panettone, a proper Italian made one a new tradition from sons Erasmus year.

Lake District leg of lamb bought when on holiday and frozen. We go there every year to a favourite place.

The family still want all the other traditional trimmings so pigs in blankets, roast potatoes and parsnips, stuffing, sprouts, carrots and said sons favourite Yorkshire puddings.

Needless to say we donít have a starter or a pudding, every year I buy a Christmas pudding and never cook it on Christmas Day  ::)

I must confess I havenít done the dishes yet, Victoria will be ashamed of me !

They are neatly stacked on the side and Iím about to do them now but it was so lovely to have my son here I didnít want to waste a minute of his company and I though s*d it Iím breaking my rules today  ;D :D :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 26 December 20 11:03 GMT (UK) »
No snow here - apart from up on the mountain - but it was 0C first thing yesterday!
Granddaughters were up at 4am, so planned zoom call didn't happen.

A quietish day; went to pub for a couple of hours at lunchtime.
Then a walk along the road to a friends for dinner at 8pm.
8 of us for a grand feast - locally smoked salmon; ham & turkey; Fortnum & Mason crackers!

Today a short walk to neighbours 4 doors down for lunch.

Gales forecast for later :o
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 26 December 20 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for all the good wishes. It was interesting hearing of other peopleís Christmas Day. I think we all have just made the best of it wherever we are in the world.

I should have been going to Switzerland on Monday but I cancelled it back at the beginning of September when it was apparent that we hadnít got to the end of the pandemic. I was inspired this morning and put on the full thermals I would have worn in Switzerland and Iím lovely and warm! Maybe in a yearís time I will be packing them for my walking in the snow holiday. For the moment Iíll just drool over the photos I have from January 2019 before I knew I had breast cancer.

My best wishes to everyone wherever you are and I pray that we get to the end of the pandemic sometime in 2021.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 26 December 20 12:47 GMT (UK) »
Pleased you sound so much better this morning

Lm
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 26 December 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie - my dog is likely mostly Pomeranian but quite big for a Pom, but he loves the snow, they are from the Spitz family, same as the husky, Samoyed, etc., so must be in his DNA!  The only problem he had yesterday - if I may be indelicate - was finding a place to do his business, as they do like to clear a spot first ;D.
Caroline - OHís mother was Danish/Swedish and came here in her teens.  Sadly, the only tradition she kept for Xmas was eating on Christmas Eve and then opening gifts.  My parents were English so it was strictly Xmas day.  Growing up our French Canadian landlord in the flat downstairs (5 kids) would go to midnight Mass and then home for their Christmas celebration which they call ďReveillonĒ.  We should have synchronized our schedules!  We would get woken up around 2 a.m.
Sounds like we all managed to have something of a good Christmas, it will be memorable, and hereís to everyone staying safe in the New Year.