Author Topic: Diary 25 December Christmas Day  (Read 3554 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary 25 December Christmas Day
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 26 December 20 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie - my dog is likely mostly Pomeranian but quite big for a Pom, but he loves the snow, they are from the Spitz family, same as the husky, Samoyed, etc., so must be in his DNA!  The only problem he had yesterday - if I may be indelicate - was finding a place to do his business, as they do like to clear a spot first ;D.

I can see that could be a big problem for a dog. Everything has to be "just so" and the spot "just right".  ;D Bless them.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 26 December 20 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehouse: we have had power outages here in the winter, I lived through a ten day one during an ice storm in January 1998 (or was it 1999?) and some brief ones in the subarctic.  Not fun at all.  The former we had a new wood burning fireplace that worked efficiently - the house had never been so warm.  Sump pump did not work, though   :(.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 26 December 20 14:20 GMT (UK) »
I woke up on Christmas morning feeling truly blessed too - thinking on that my family and I are still well and haven't been touched by this dreadful covid.  That feels like the best present of all this year.
Christmas Day for me was very different, not being with family.  My Son & DiL have a family member living with them who has recently become 'vulnerable' because of health issues so they want to keep contact with others to the minimum where possible just now.
In recent years, we have been going to my brother & sister in law's house but I didn't go this year because it would have meant staying over which suddenly became against the rules. 
I decided to make the best of it and put my Christmas jumper on on Christmas morning (the one with bells on that I had shook the night before on my doorstep for the 'Christmas eve bell ring') and made a lovely Christmas dinner and had wine.  I sent photos to family to show them I was still making an effort and spoke cheerily about things to the family when I spoke to them.  I think this helped SiL in particular as I think she had been feeling a bit low and sorry for me.  I just hope I haven't gone too far and given them all the impression that I have had my best Christmas ever without them all. ;D I did have a good day but  nonetheless it did feel like a  sacrifice not to be with them all as usual.  However, I did read this morning that Boris has said that this sacrifice people have made this year will mean that more people will still be around to celebrate Christmas next year.  This thought helps make me feel it has been worth not taking any risks.
DiL is a nurse and had to do nightshift on Christmas night and I think she sounded a bit stressed at the thought of having to go.  At least she got to be off during the day to be with their son, my Grandson. I am off work myself until New Year's Eve.
Gibel, that sounds like a very dramatic time you have had.  Sorry to hear about all this.  This is one very eventful Christmas you will not forget in a hurry aside from covid issues.
I haven't been inside a Church since before covid and I do miss this a lot.  I have also just heard in the last few days that our Pastor and his wife will be moving to different part of the country in the New Year.  I am quite gutted that they are leaving us after many years.  He was a wonderful Pastor leading us all and I will particularly miss his humorous sermons when things do get back to normal.  I have no idea who his replacement will be as yet.
Roobarb, your neighbours sound incredibly kind to do all this for you .. did you know about this or was it a surprise?
Oldfashioned girl, I suspect Viktoria will be proud of you that you put your son before any dishes rule.  Dishes can always wait but you seized the chance to make memories.  Good on you!
I slept like a log on Christmas night and didn't wake up till 0830 this Boxing Day which is quite unusual for me.  I think this was probably due to the wine I had on Christmas Day.  I don't drink a lot through most of the year (although do like Guinness) so I think the wine might have went to my head a bit.
Wishing you all a very Happy New Year and a life of more normality to come.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 26 December 20 14:57 GMT (UK) »
It's lovely to hear about everyone's Christmas and how things are in different parts of the world. No snow here in NE England (unless RTL has some a little further north) although the small town in the hills a few miles from here did have a covering on Christmas Eve. I'm quite happy to not have any, my view is that it looks pretty but causes so much disruption.

RTL, you're right that it's such a blessing that our loved ones are safe and well. My neighbour has sent Christmas dinner for me for the last five years since I've been alone, she asks me beforehand if I'd like her to do so and of course I'm happy to accept. She said this year she would understand if I didn't want to, being mindful I think of distancing, they have three children in their teens and one in his twenties, they all treat me with respect and wouldn't endanger me. They're a lovely family altogether, I'm lucky to have them as neighbours. I've always cut their front lawn for them over the years until a couple of years ago when they had the drive widened across it. Now I just keep the small area of border tidy along it.

There's someone missing from this thread - we haven't heard from Viktoria. I do hope she's okay, having been alone throughout all this then deciding she would stay at home for Christmas. If you're reading this  Viktoria - we miss you!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 26 December 20 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb, we had a couple of flurries of light snow on Christmas eve.  But this didn't really lie and soon disappeared leaving the ground just wet.  It was nice to look out though at it  and think we were having a sort of a white Christmas.  I also saw a lovely rainbow on Christmas eve - the second one I saw in a week.  I choose to see this as a symbol of better times to come.  Where I live there are grey skies today and it felt bitterly cold when I went out for a short walk this morning.  Now the wind is howling outside and it feels very atmospheric like something from a Bronte novel.
Your neighbours sound so thoughtful Roobarb but it sounds like this is reciprocated with your gardening help.  I think they will really appreciate your help with this Roobarb - this must save them quite a bit of time and effort over the year.  It is nice to read that  community/neighbourly spirit still exists as much as in times past.
Yes, it would be lovely to hear from Viktoria too.  We do miss you Viktoria and look forward to your next post.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 26 December 20 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Someone else missing from this thread is 'Moi' but I know I am not as lighthearted and comical as Viktoria can be.

Having stayed at home Christmas Eve Night I got up early Christmas Day (well, early for me) and drove over to my sisters.   We then drove over to my nieces house - my sister, b-in-law and I being a longstanding 'bubble', and Jo, Scott, Luke and Esmae being a one-day Christmas 'bubble'.   No hugging or kissing but it was oh so good to see them.   The 2 men cooked the dinner and very nice it was too.   My sister provided the dessert.   

Jo and Scott had been woken at 6am by the mobile 'pinging' - was a photo of the twins in their Christmas hats taken by the nurses.  Hope it comes through on here okay.

We stayed until 6.30 and then the new parents went off to the hospital to see the twins.   When we got back to my sisters we opened our presents and spent the rest of the evening relaxing.   

Will be a quiet day for us Boxing Day - not the Christmas we would have wished for but being able to spend a few hours with niece and family was a joy I wasn't expecting having not seen them since August.   Boxing Day will see nephew and family opening our presents via Whatsapp and us opening ours from them. 

Hope your own day was the best it could be.

Annette           
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:03 GMT (UK) »
No offence meant Annette, it's just that Viktoria was going to be spending Christmas alone and we didn't hear from her on Christmas eve or Christmas day.
It's good to hear that you had such a lovely time with your family and great to see that gorgeous photo of the twins.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:51 GMT (UK) »
RTL - lovely to hear from you and pleased you’re having a well earned break until New Year’s Eve..... so sorry that you’ve not been able to see your family to spend time with them over Christmas.... it’s heartbreaking for everyone... but we must stay positive that come the new year perhaps the Oxford /AZ vaccine will become available...
As a regular church goer I can only imagine the upset you must feel about not being able to go more regularly and now with your vicar leaving too... hopefully you’ll get a good person as a replacement....

Annette - we are remiss to not comment on you not posting either... we are still thinking about you too and your delightful gt nieces who incidentally look very sweet in the photo you posted here... so glad you’ve been able to see your niece  and family too... I wonder how much more time they’ll be staying in hospital for?....
Like everyone else I’m concerned about Viktoria as she’s not posted and hope all is well with her....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 27 December 20 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello everyone, I am alright, had a nice quiet day but lots of phone calls and son in Bolton and his wife came and stood at the door for a while ,brought pressies which I opened in front of them .Made a full Christmas dinner,  photographed
 it and sent it to all three children and grandchildren so they would not worry I was on bread and water!
Phoned friends and got to speak to the one I was so concerned about a little while ago.She is not well but good care in place and she was quite lucid ,not always the case nowadays.
Started a jigsaw , did a hard crossword, watched TV , enjoyed my meal, having set the table with posh stuff ,best wine glass ,cutlery etc etc and the meat from a very good butcher was really tender and tasty.
A nice day really.
Left the cleaning of the cooker until today ,and did a really good job .
My Grsndson’s father in law called with my daughter’s presents to me ,a super peg bag, made by a friend who has started a little business as a hobby but also money earner.
A lovely little pill box ,gold , enamelled with Lily of the Valley, and a book about a  nearby ruined deserted village ,Nuttall Village.
The local Heritage society have researched it.
Also a plaster / resin plaque with Flash Harry’s little tiny hands pressed into it

His Grandad had driven down to Suffolk ,five hours, they had all gone a walk in the fresh air wearing masks ,he had his meal in his car , and after two hours drove all the way back.He called this morning and  left the presents on the path.
I usually see him in Church each year at the bauble service, and his ex wife ,they sit together as they lost a son who was my grandson’s best friend and put a bauble on the tree together.
So all in all, lots of chats etc, a nice meal, presents and warm and comfy and ,feeling well  so I have a lot to be thankful for .
Second son phoned  today  as well as yesterday .
Milk lady left again what I had ordered for Christmas again, so I phoned the girl who organised the Tea For One hamper, could she use some milk and cream?
Oooh yes! So put it on the step for her.
Hope everyone is well and also had a nice day, sad to hear of the first Christmas without her husband for one RootsChatter .
I set my table with a cloth myO H brought back from The Lebanon in 1963 .White with gold thread embroidery , I used it for just the reason he bought it for me . I feel he is not forgotten when I do things like that.
Table set for one!
But I was in good spirits , thankfully .
I phoned my 93 year old neighbour ,she said was I alright?
Yes Thankyou and you?
Yes! Only I don’t want anyone  else  living next to me but you!
Likewise !
Well all over bar the shouting folks, and it really is a good job I decided to stay put isn’t it, Suffolk in Tier 4 now.
Grand daughter up to her eyes in boxes of home made goodies , she is a registered business now  but has one more  accountancy exam  at Uni then finished.Full time she works for my daughter.
She and her boy friend had Venison for their Christmas dinner , different.
Mince pie pastry is really nice .
Recipe coming up :-
12 ounces of flour ( I used SR)
6 ounces fat ,4 of Marge 2 of Lard
Pinch of salt and 3 ounces of Caster sugar
2 Egg yolks made up to 4  fluid ounces with cold water .
Rub in fat.
Stir in  salt and  sugar .
Add egg yolks and water .
Mix well .
Put in fridge for 30 Mins .
Roll out thinly  if SR flour used .
Bake at Reg 7 for 15-20 mins .
Take care as the sugar content can mean they brown easily.
Gave my son a dozen, not cut into the cake yet.
Had another dinner today but looking forward to pork ,stuffing and apple  sauce  butties  tomorrow .
Thanks for the babies’ photographs,they look really plump and well .
I do hope you all had  as good a day as possible ,allowing for missed loved ones, health problems and the overlying worry that things are escalating.
Well going to warm some milk and go to bed , should be warm by now.
Thanks for your concern ,I’ll bet you thought I was stoned out of my mind on Elderflower cordial!
No I have just enough sense to not drink - especially alone !
Cheerio, keep safe and well ,thanks for your stories ,  they are  something to look forward to.
Goodnight , Viktoria.