Author Topic: Wilford, Wilforde, Wylford, Wilsford, Wyllesford, Willesford  (Read 2959 times)

Offline sephardictyke

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilford, Wilforde, Wylford, Wilsford, Wyllesford, Willesford
« on: Friday 25 December 20 23:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

In my search for some fairly distant Grand Parentals. I am finding a particular line a bit of a challenge.

- (15 x Gt Gfather) Robert Wilford. -1395?. Woad etc merchant. 13 x Mayor of Exeter. He and his wife apparently gave money to the cathedral to be buried inside. Cathedral cannot find them.

- Son of Robert, William Wilford -1413?. MP. Wood wine herring etc. Merchant. Mayor of Exeter. Commanded a seaborne revenge raid on the coast of N France. Married into the Cruwys family, then the Cornu/Corneus family - our line.

- Son of William, Robert 1406?-1476?. Lived in Oxton, Kenton parish Devon. Wife no idea.

- Son of Robert, James (?-1526?) m Elizabeth Betenham 1454?-1540?(d of Thomas B and Alice Fitzherbert) of Pluckley, Kent. Company of Merchant Taylors, Warden in 1488. Master in 1494. Sheriff in 1499. Alderman City of London 1500-1511. Will dated 27 April 1526. Buried in St Bartholomew the Less in the chapel of St Nicholas and St Katherine. Left to eldest son Thomas the manor/s of Hartridge and Hockridge in Kent.

- Son of James, Thomas. 1491?-. Married Elizabeth Culpeper/Colepeper then Rose Whetenhall. Some suggestion he was a Marian exile, which might be the connection with his and Roses` daughter Cicelys`future husband Edwin Sandys (future Archbishop of York) who certainly was.

There is more on

https://www.historyofparliamentonline.org
An Account of the Hospitium de le Egle
and some dodgy stuff on Wikitree

Any Wilfords out there? Or other interested people, that might help me out?. If yes I will endeavour to do the same for you.

Tks

Offline Conan-the-Barbadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilford, Wilforde, Wylford, Wilsford, Wyllesford, Willesford
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
The descent of the Wilford family, usual modern spelling, continues to baffle most researchers.

Yes, there is a clear line through Robert (-1396), merchant in Exeter, his son William (-1413), merchant in Exeter and naval hero, to his son Robert (-1476), gentleman at Oxton in the Devon parish of Kenton.

Then there is a clear line from James (-1526), merchant in London, who married Elizabeth Bettenham.

James was from Devon, and it is widely held that he was from the Exeter/Kenton family, but I've not yet seen a believable link. My guess is that he may descend from an undocumented younger son or illegitimate son, 

Offline PWillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 March 22 20:46 GMT (UK) »
This is very interesting.  I also track to the line via Thomas Wilford (ca 1530-1610), youngest son of Thomas (ca 1480-1553) by his second wife, Rose Whetenhall.  I seem to have more than one executed ancestor in this line, including the notorious Capt. Thomas Williford/Wilsford, a principal in Bacon's Rebellion (and evidently also a participant in the massacre of at least one Indian village in Virginia).

The jump from Exeter to Kent (with a stop in London) seemed a long one.  Are there other known lines descended from the Exeter Wilfords that bypass Kent or does it just vanish?  Would love to see the Exeter connection either fleshed out or disproved with additional facts. 

Paul Williford

Offline Adammjwilford

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 March 22 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi all
New on here and was only bought to the site by a websearch !
I am of the same bloodline and in Leicestershire uk ! Lebbus wilford was the first of the bloodline  in Leicestershire from what I can find and prior to that there were  few decades of ancestors in Hendidge prior to that London and prior to that the Devonshire wilfords .
I actually grew up very near to the property where Lebbus lived and a relative actually lives and works on the hall/land and country  estate where the original moated property that was his home stood ! The moat is still there but the building was wrecked and in ruins long before my time !!

Offline PWillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 21 March 22 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Very cool, AdamMJ!  How lucky to be near the place your family has lived for so many generations!
 I'd love to stomp around such ancestral areas.

I believe our most recent shared ancestor is Sir Thomas Wilsford, Kt MP (ca 1585-1646).  It looks like Lebbeus was his older son while my ancestor Thomas was his younger son; Thomas emigrated to Virginia ca 1651.

You mentioned "Hendidge" in your post.  I wrote to the Kent Family Historical Society a while back because I was confused about the name of the manor the Wilsford/Wilfords there near Kingston.  Here's what I wrote:

"Greetings! While researching an ancestor (Thomas Wilsford/Wilford, 1530?-1604?), I came across this sentence: 'He died about 1604, probably at his manor, Hedding in Kent ...'  I've also seen it spelled 'Heding' and 'Hedinge' and referred to as being in Kingston Parish. I'm wondering where precisely this may have been and if any part of the manor still exists.  Google is not helping me! Pictures would be appreciated!  Thomas's son, also named Thomas Wilsford (ca 1585-1640), was supposedly executed - 'He lost his life and estate in the King's quarrel with his Parliament at the beginning of England's Civil War' - so, I imagine the manor passed out of the family's hands at that point. Thanks in advance for any suggestions on locating Hedding/Heding/Hedinge - and extra points for posting a photo or two!"

And their helpful reply:

"Hasted’s survey of Kent lists Sir Thomas Wilsford as having the seat called ILEDEN, or Ilding. You can read it online at: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol9/pp338-349  Scroll down below below the Manor of Kingston.  Ileden Farmhouse was sold in 2018. I think the building looks too recent but may stand on the site.  https://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=68414054&sale=8611705&country=england  This history of Kingston is on the parish website https://kingstoncanterbury.wordpress.com/history/
It might be worth contacting someone on the parish council who may have local knowledge."

The Hasted source says James Wilsford sold Ileden in 1668 while the property description calls the Ileden farmhouse "Georgian," so the buildings shown in the property listing photographs were not inhabited by my ancestors.  But it's nice to get a sense of the landscape where they lived.  (Selected pics attached.)

Here's the Google satellite view of the Ileden Farmhouse: https://goo.gl/maps/SZmZr2jd2HntNs2B7  Kingston is less than a mile to the southwest.

Paul Williford

Offline PWillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 22 17:24 BST (UK) »
Any of us who trace patrilineally to Sir Thomas Wilsford (ca 1530-1610) or earlier must share our Y-chromosome.  I don't know if others have done any DNA testing, but I have my DNA profile on GEDMatch under this kit number: MY6325175.  That's my 23andMe DNA profile.  (I actually have three up there, but 23andMe tests the Y chromosome more thoroughly than the others.)  My (our) Y haplogroup comes back as I-L813 which originated due to genetic mutation about 3900 years ago in Sweden, so the patrilineal line is Scandinavian, presumably entering England by Viking invasion.  Here's a map showing approximate migration of the patrilineal line from about 37,000 years ago to the formation of I-L813 about 3,900 years ago:

Source: http://scaledinnovation.com/gg/snpTracker.html

I could get a narrower (more recent) determination of my Y haplogroup since the I-L813 mutation, but that would cost more money.  Haven't decided to go that route yet.

I'd definitely be interested in comparing DNA to confirm the Y-chromosome overlap if others are able either to share your DNA profile on GEDmatch or with any of the three services I used (23andMe, Ancestry, FamilyTreeDNA).

Best wishes,

Paul Williford

Offline Conan-the-Barbadian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 April 22 12:55 BST (UK) »
Paul

Many thanks for posting the excellent pictures of Ileden!

I think you can be confident that the present house is the one in which Sir Thomas Wilford lived. Originally timber-framed, it would have been faced in brick at a later date, possibly in the Georgian period.

Best wishes

Conan

PS It is wise never to believe any statement by an English estate agent.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 April 22 14:39 BST (UK) »
  I think you could be right. I have just sent an email to a historian who knows all there is to be known about old houses in the area, to see if he can help. Old timber-framed houses often came down in the world during the Georgian period, and became several farm workers cottages, before being restored much later. 
   I will tell you what he comes up with.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline PWillie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 April 22 19:12 BST (UK) »
I think you can be confident that the present house is the one in which Sir Thomas Wilford lived. Originally timber-framed, it would have been faced in brick at a later date, possibly in the Georgian period.

Interesting, Conan!

There are two other homes in Kent that are tied to the Wilford/Wilsford family - these in the Cranbrook area:

"THE BOROUCH OF FRI[E]ZLEY, as it is now called, corruptly for Freechister, alias Abbots Franchise, is a district situated about a mile eastward from Flishinhurst, and is within the liberty of the royal manor of Wye, which formerly belonged to the abbey of Batteli, whence it has likewise the name of Abbots Franchise. (fn. 3) This borough has a court leet of itself. The principal estate in it formerly belonged to the Wilsfords, of Hartridge, one of whom sold it to the Hovendens, great clothiers here, whose principal mansion it was."

"HARTRID[G]E is a manor, which lies at the northern boundary of this parish, next to Stapelhurst, the mansion of which was formerly a seat of note, being the property and residence of an antient and worthy family of the time name, one of whom, Thomas Hartridge, was a conservator or justice of the peace in this county in the 34th year of Edward III. when there were eight only in the whole shire. In his descendant, who bore for their arms, Or, a chevron between three griffins heads, erased, sable, this seat continued, till it was at length sold by one of them, about the reign of Henry VIII. to Thomas Wilsford, esq. who came and resided here at Hatridge, and by the acts of 31 king Henry VIII. and 2 and 3 Edward VI. had his lands disgavelled. He was descended from William Wilsford, of Devonshire, anno 4 Henry IV. of whose grandson, James was alderman and sheriff of London, anno 15 Henry VII. and Edmund was S. T. P. provost of Oriel college, in Oxford, &c. and died in 1507. They bore for their arms, Gules, a chevron ingrailed, between three leopards heads, or. By his first wife Elizabeth, daughter of Walter Colepeper, of Bedgbury, he had two sons of nine daughters, of the former, Francis, the youngest, was of Nonington, and ancestor of the Wilsfords, of Dover and Yorkshire; and James Wilsford, esq. the eldest, was of Hartridge. By this second wife he had Sir Thomas, who was of Ilden, in kingston, ancestor of those of that place, and of Rochester; and one daughter Cecilia, wife of Edwin Sandys, archbishop of York. James Wilsford, esq. the eldest son by the first marriage, inherited and resided at Hartridge, and was afterwards knighted; from whom this seat at length descended down to James Wilsford, esq. his eldest grandson, who having married Anne, daughter and heir of Thomas Newman, esq. of Quendon, in Essex, removed to the seat of her inheritance there, where he died in 1619, before which he had alienated, this estate of Hartridge to Tindal, of Sutton Valence."

Source: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/survey-kent/vol7/pp90-113

The house at Friezley evidently still stands.  The attached photo showing half-timber construction is Friezley.  More details on it here, dating the earliest surviving construction to the 16th century: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1347912

Less certain is the status of Hartridge.  The 34th year of Edward III's reign would have been 1361, and the 31st year of Henry VIII's reign would have been 1540.  I found a candidate on the Historic England website: Hartridge Manor.  (See attached pic.) The official details date it to the 17th century - too late to have been the Wilsford residence:

"Farmhouse. C17, clad in C19 and extended in mid and later C19. Timber-framed on wide red brick plinth, tile-hung above. Plain tiled roof, half-hipped with brick ridge stack. 2 storeys. Three windows, regular through the central first floor window is blocked. Tripartite glazing bar sashes. Entrance at rear. L-shaped block with mid C18 2 storey block in angle of L to rear with further wing beyond, (to north-east). Triple-span hipped roofed extension to right (south)."

Any chance this is the location - if not the actual building - where the Wilsfords lived for nearly 80 years?

If not, I wonder also if Sissinghurst Park (built in 1916) might be on the location of the Wilsfords' Hartridge Manor, because the name was changed in the Listed Buildings entry from "Hartridge House":

• In the entry for: CRANBROOK Cranbrook Common TQ 73 NE (west side) 3/88 Hartridge House - II -> The entry shall be amended to read: TQ 73 NE CRANBROOK Cranbrook Common (west side) 3/88 Cranbrook Court - II
  • In the entry for:- CRANBROOK CRANBROOK COMMON TQ 73 NE (west side) 3/88 Cranbrook Court II -> The entry shall be amended to read:- TQ 73 NE CRANBROOK CRANBROOK COMMON (west side) 3/88 Sissinghurst Park II

Thanks for your thoughts, opinions and expertise!

Paul Williford