Author Topic: A Treatment for those Already Exposed to Covid-19 being Trialled?  (Read 585 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
A Treatment for those Already Exposed to Covid-19 being Trialled?
« on: Saturday 26 December 20 15:18 GMT (UK) »
"Dr Houlihan, also of UCL Infection & Immunity, said: “We know that this antibody combination can neutralise the virus, so we hope to find that giving this treatment via injection can lead to immediate protection against the development of Covid-19 in people who have been exposed – when it would be too late to offer a vaccine.” "

https://www.uclh.nhs.uk/news/uclh-doses-first-patient-world-covid-19-antibody-trial

According to the UCLH NHS link it suggests the current Vaccine is/are not effective if you have already been exposed to SARS-Cov-2 / Covid-19 disease?

Some exposed to the SARS-Cov-2 Virus / Covid-19 for some time now, had/have no symptons and others with long term associated Covid-19 illnesses were never hospitalised and first ill before freely available PCR Testing (which only seems to have a short window of about a week to test Covid-19 Positive, usually when you can pass it on).

I'm wondering if people being vaccinated now, are getting a Covid-19 specific Anti-body blood Test beforehand?

A few weeks ago our gov.uk website were still advising most readers that they must pay private for a Covid-19 specific Antibody Test. Also the blood (Venous) Laboratory analysed was accepted as the most reliable.

UK antibody testing still depends on your work and which UK country you live in.
https://www.gov.uk/register-coronavirus-antibody-test

Mark

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Treatment for those Already Exposed to Covid-19 being Trialled?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 26 December 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
From a practical point of view, there's no advantage in getting an Antibody test before getting the vaccine.

It's a relatively expensive test to "save" the relatively few doses which (might) not be effective in the already-had-it cohort.

The in-laws have now had their first dose of vaccination jab, and no Antibody test beforehand.

Th treatment has most benefit to those who CANNOT be vaccinated.

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 December 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
My interpretation of the UCLH study is that the current vaccine won't stop you developing covid if you're already infected but perhaps not yet showing symptoms.  If you had the virus in the past and have now recovered the vaccine should work.

There will always be people who have already contracted a disease prior to being immunised against it - not just covid.  If we knew that we were harbouring something common sense ought to tell us to cease contact with other people, but the nature of diseases, any diseases, is that we innocently carry on with our daily lives spreading germs left right and centre before we even know we're ill.

Hence the attempts to test AND TRACE.

The UCLH treatment is presumably intended to help people in the early stages of infection who start developing symptoms a few days post-jab.  The treatment will hopefully neutralise the virus before it really gets hold so the individual suffers only a mild case and doesn't require hospitalisation.

Jane :-)
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies, I think I understand the link a little better now.

I wish everyone well.

Take care, Mark