Author Topic: George Bearcroft  (Read 128 times)

Offline Bearcroft94

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Bearcroft
« on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find anything on George Bearcroft who I believe should be born in the early 1800s.

So far I know that he has a son born in Worcestershire in 1828 called William George Bearcroft who moved to India and married Elizabeth Wilson in 1859.

His son William George lived in India for the rest of his life and died in 1885.

I am hoping to find a birth certificate for William George Bearcroft or a census to help me find more information on George.

Any help would be appreciated!

Hayley

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Bearcroft
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome, Hayley.

What is the source for William having been born in Worcestershire? I can see an online tree suggesting he was born on 24 December 1828 in Evesham, but without a source.

Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Bearcroft94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just checked my ancestry tree and your right I do not have a official source saying he was born there. My great uncle did a lot of research into the family tree and recorded him as being born in Worcestershire. He wrote in his notes that he was also unable to find a birth certificate.

I suppose in my uncle made an error, it is likely that he was born in India which would explain why I am finding it hard to find records.

My uncle has written that he visited the India Office Library and records office at Blackfriars in London and he said that he found two documents L/MIL/9/7 and L/MILK/10/171. He said he sailed for Bengal on the Ellenborough on the 6/6/1849,

Hayley

Offline Bearcroft94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have just checked my ancestry tree and your right I do not have a official source saying he was born there. My great uncle did a lot of research into the family tree and recorded him as being born in Worcestershire. He wrote in his notes that he was also unable to find a birth certificate.

I suppose in my uncle made an error, it is likely that he was born in India which would explain why I am finding it hard to find records.

My uncle has written that he visited the India Office Library and records office at Blackfriars in London and he said that he found two documents L/MIL/9/7 and L/MILK/10/171. He said he sailed for Bengal on the Ellenborough on the 6/6/1849,

Hayley

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:47 GMT (UK) »
A person born in England in the 1820s wouldn’t have had a birth certificate, because civil registration was not introduced until 1837. You would be looking for a baptism at best. Sometimes military records recorded a birthplace too.

I can see some Bearcrofts in Evesham in 1841, but no William in the household of a potential father George at the moment.

I wonder what was the source of his father’s name being George?

Have you inherited any copies of military records, or notes made from them?
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Bearcroft94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 20 00:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for looking and George is on his marriage certificate.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 20 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Yes I see. He was 31 at marriage in September 1859 and named his father as George Bearcroft, as you say.