Author Topic: Unusual middle names. Any ideas of why?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline Heritagefound

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unusual middle names. Any ideas of why?
« on: Sunday 27 December 20 03:48 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am researching some ancestors circ 1750-1880. What is unusual is that many of them have strange 3rd names. For example Louise Maria Raven Rowe. We also have 3rd names for others such as Blowes, Hicks, Simpson, etc. These sorts of names are over 3 generations and appear to have no family connection. The family were living in the Colchester, Essex region. Their BMD are recorded in non Congregational church records, although no mention of their church, perhaps Quakers as the word Society is mentioned on the first page.

Was this a fashion in central Essex? Or a characteristic of Quakers, or other ethnicity?

Any ideas would be very welcome.
Thank you for reading.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual middle names. Any ideas of why?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat Heritagefound.  :)

Surnames as middle names happen everywhere. I am not sure you can glean anything from it regarding denomination or geography.  In my research I have observed it is particularly common in the NE and Scotland.

Sometimes the surname can be passed down from an earlier generation which you may not be aware of as yet, a maternal surname for example, sometimes it could be a way for a family to honour employers, neighbours or friends or someone of esteem in the community.

I have told this story many times, but as you are new, I will repeat it.  :) The father one of the families I was researching wrote a diary and in it he detailed how he chose the middle names for his children including bestowing the surname of “someone who was kind to his wife” on one of his children. In each case he requested that those surnames be passed down the generations. (They weren’t.  :) )

If you haven’t already done so, it might be worth looking in the censuses for people with these surnames living near or working in the same trades as your ancestors. You may find a connection with some of the more unusual surnames - there may be too many results for the common names.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:08 GMT (UK) »
One of my Ancestors named her Daug Elizabeth Louttid Leggett. Louttid was her Sisters married name.
So as explained there may be many reasons for it.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Another family I was researching gave each child ,the same middle name, and there were about ten of them - it was an easy one though .... it was the mother’s maiden surname.  :)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:17 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat...In my line we have discovered that on occasions, the Godparents names were used as middle names.
In another line, the middle name Miller appears over five generations.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:23 GMT (UK) »
They come in very handy for confirming and finding family members in our cases the surnames of Mother’s maiden names or even maternal Grandparents.

My own Great Great Grandfather had Drummer as his middle name.

A William Osbaldeston Harwood a 3xGreat Uncle of my Wife’s was given the surname of his Mother Alice Osbaldeston who happened to be a Gateway ancestor.

Finding John Raistrick Collins helped confirm that Mary Raistrick was his Mother.

So surnames as middle names do come in handy.

Bear a thought for Quickfall Gladwin, he was only given his Morther’s surname Quickfall as his forename.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:40 GMT (UK) »
My lot, from Yorkshire, have used surnames as sole forenames over the years.  Fairbank, Jennings, Wadsworth, usually the surnames of in-laws.  Plus those, of course, who have incorporated surnames as middle names for their children, although I'm still at a loss to trace the origin of Owen as a middle name for my father and his uncle.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:45 GMT (UK) »
For example Louise Maria Raven Rowe. We also have 3rd names for others such as Blowes, Hicks, Simpson, etc.

Wasn't Louisa's great grandmother named Martha SIMPSON?

Debra  :D

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 December 20 11:51 GMT (UK) »
It doesn't always have to be a relative, in the context of Northern Ireland, I have encountered 'Carson' given as a middle name in several instances (from Edward Carson), also in the military context, middle names like 'Kitchener' and 'Haig'.