Author Topic: Frederick Walker 1888-1954 Wellingborough event? Northants  (Read 737 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Walker 1888-1954 Wellingborough event? Northants
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 27 December 20 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Is that a row of cottages beyond the conifers?  It could be chimneys or  a fancy wall?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 27 December 20 19:01 GMT (UK) »
There's a thought.  Don't supposed it listed the participants?

No such luck. Tried to find other references to the Pierrot Party but no hits....
Assuming Fred is a relation of your's we might just be related as I have some Walkers from Wollaston way back in my roots...
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 27 December 20 19:40 GMT (UK) »
My Walkers are Wellingborough, Hardingstone and Northampton.  I haven't come across any Wollaston so will keep an eye out.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 27 December 20 20:47 GMT (UK) »
My Walkers are Wellingborough, Hardingstone and Northampton.  I haven't come across any Wollaston so will keep an eye out.
Maybe we'll see one day.

Back to Fred...
Finally found a couple more reference's to Mr C M Newton and his Pierrot Party at Wellingbborough and Wollaston in 1915 but no mention of Fred...
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 27 December 20 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for looking.  Perhaps Mr Newton is a trail to follow.  But tomorrow for me!
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 December 20 11:53 GMT (UK) »
I see there was a councillor C M Newton in Northampton.

Also Mr C M Newton's pierrot were at Wellingborough Rose Day celebrations, at Swanspool, as reported by Northampton Mercury on 16 July 1915.

Do you know Swanspool - are there any conifers at the edge of this park?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 December 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Swanspool - are there any conifers at the edge of this park?
Now you are testing my memory! I should know the answer as I used to walk to school up and down Doddington Road which runs along one side of Swanspool. It was certainly not flat and there were some conifers in there but I cannot quite picture it as in your photo but there is about 50 years between your photo and my old memories and even more from then to now. :o
I will keep thinking and get back to you if I am inspired.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I think there's too much open space there for it to be Swanspool Gardens, but IF it is Wellingborough, it could be Bassett's Close.
The fall of the land towards Northampton Road is similar, and there are/were large buildings along that road. The line of conifers has changed.
This may have been taken in a similar position to where the bandstand is now ... it was built in 1912. The tree close behind the performers is just like those in pictures from 1908.

I'd suggest you get on to Wellingborough Museum and ask their advice. Although closed at the moment, they do have a Facebook page and you'll find their email address on the Wellingborough Council's website at  http://www.wellingborough.gov.uk/info/200070/museums_and_galleries/844/wellingborough_museum
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks sugarbakers, a good idea.  I have been in touch with the museum about something else and their volunteers do reply to emails during lockdown, if they can access the info needed.
Crook, Bannister, Warren