Author Topic: Frederick Walker 1888-1954 Wellingborough event? Northants  (Read 736 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Frederick Walker 1888-1954 Wellingborough event? Northants
« on: Sunday 27 December 20 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I have this photo postcard amongst the family collection, with a note on the reverse that Fred Walker is one of the people.  Whether a child or adult, I don't know, but he was born in 1888.

What would this event have been and when?  There's what looks like a Punch and Judy set in the middle, then a mixture of pierrots and mummers, or is it just a group of musicians dressed for a theme?  A summer event as there are leaves on the tree just behind them.  Union jacks are present, so perhaps an Empire Day?

On the reverse there is the name of the photographer(s), but the postcard has been trimmed so possibly the beginning is missing.

...Rogers, Stanley Studio, Stanley Rd, Wellingborough.

So I guess the image is in Wellingborough somewhere - a park, or perhaps the grounds of a stately home? There are a lot of conifers in the background.

Does anyone have old trade directories to identify the photographer(s) and the years they were in business please?  That would be a start.

Thanks.  :)
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Frederick Walker 1888-1954 Wellingborough event? Northants
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 December 20 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I'm just reading up on pierrot troupes and shows, also known as alfresco concert parties as they were held in the open, and provided variety - music, songs, monologues etc.  They started at Henley Regatta around 1895 and from around 1910 began going on tours instead of staying at one seaside resort.  They faded away by the 1940s with the Black and White Minstrel Show on TV being an echo.

Wonder if this photo is of a genuine pierrot troupe, or just locals mimicking one for a fund-raiser or somesuch? 

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Trishanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 December 20 16:19 GMT (UK) »
Well done Japeflakes, I was just about to post that. So we know he was there in 1910, until at least 1920.
Pat - added - as your photo says Stanley studios it could be in 1918 according to these addresses.
Bownass - Lancashire & Westmorland
Hoggarth - Lancashire & Westmorland
Jackson- Lancaster
Waller - Dent, Yorkshire dales
Omerod - Lancashire
Redburn - Lancashire
Evans - Hereford

RESTORERS please do not use my restores without my permission THANK YOU

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 December 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Japeflakes - thanks for the link and the info.  It narrows it down doesn't it?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 December 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't help with the photo itself, but photographer James William Rogers is in the 1911 census at 27 Stanley Rd, a photographer and photographic dealer.

James W Rogers is also listed at 27a Stanley Rd in the 1939 register, as a radio, electrical and photographic dealer and service agent.

In 1892 when he married he is shown as a pressman, and also in 1894 in the christening record for one of his children.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 December 20 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Looking further at Fred Walker, he was a PoW from Nov 1917, but not sure when he joined up, other than he had signaller training a couple of months beforehand.

So that certainly puts the photo earlier than 1918.

Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online PalmTree1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 December 20 18:41 GMT (UK) »
I grew up in Wellingborough and the setting does not ring any bells with me although things could easily have changed between the photo and my arrival...
There is a mention in the Northampton Chronicle and Echo for 18 Feb 1915 of donations to the Northampton Red Cross and St John Ambulance Association and one is from "Proceeds of Concert at Walgrave by Mr. C. Newton's Pierrot Party, Wellingborough." Could this be the group? Maybe the picture was taken at Walgrave or maybe they put on shows at other towns and villages of Northamptonshire?
HTH
Paul
Palmers of Pilton, Ramsey, and Derbyshire - Berrills of Bozeat and Wellingborough -  Byles of Suffolk and Northants - Norris of Farnham - Morehens, Hills, Carters of Northants -  Smarts, Pettits, Woodings of Bozeat

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 December 20 18:48 GMT (UK) »
There's a thought.  Don't supposed it listed the participants?
Crook, Bannister, Warren