Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 27th December  (Read 1453 times)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 27th December
« Reply #9 on: Monday 28 December 20 12:24 GMT (UK) »
I am OK now MH

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, my parents used to love crosswords too, particularly my mother. She used to do the cryptic one and also the skeleton one in one of the newspapers, there were no numbers for where the answers went, you had to fill in squares and determine yourself where the answers went. I like crosswords, never got my head around the skeleton but I do like the codeword ones.
Such a tragic story about your friend's husband, good to hear that she has made a new life for herself.

MH, what a shame that the mansion is falling into disrepair, particularly for you, and that the Imperialis  has been so badly damaged by the storm.

LM, not sure which areas you are referring to, I haven't seen anything in the news either local or national. Some of the media are guilty of taking photographs from an angle that makes people appear to be much closer together than they are. My local rag published photos in the summer of people on the local beaches who appeared to be practically on top of each other. There were a lot of complaints about their photos from people who had actually been there and said that people were properly distanced, the newspaper was just stirring up trouble. Many of them like to sensationalise things without any regard to how frightening people find it.
PS, there would probably be similar photos in the south if the shops were open!  ;)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb-  sounds like our parents were similar as mine used to do the skeleton ones too.... good stretch of the brain I think... mines full of who knows what but not solving crossword like those that’s for sure!

MH - what a shame about the dahlia tree to be battered like that in the storm... at least you have some happy memories of Oldway to treasure...it’s such a shame when buildings are left to dilapidate ...

LM - I think that Roobarb is right how cameras are angled to make it look like people are closer together than they actually are...they do seem to show ‘library’ pictures too...
I’ve mixed feelings about face coverings being worn outside... if it’s a crowded area then I think it’s the sensible thing to do... but most wear them either below the nose or as chin straps so not sure that helps!
If you’re more comfortable wearing them then that’s the best thing to do... until or unless it’s made mandatory to wear outside in crowded streets I think we have to be as safe as possible... for me that’s not going anywhere there are lots of people...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 December 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Me neither , I am used to being on my own and my iPad is wonderful for all sorts of things and many I have not yet discovered.!
Just now I was listening to The Dubliners , before that  Joachim Cortez the Spanish gypsy Flamenco dancer was literally strutting his stuff !
We have to be strict with ourselves and what harm can wearing a mask do in circumstances where not strictly necessary, but the reverse!!!
Had a nice walk round the cemetery, so many flowers , lovely , the grass was sodden so I took to the bins some dead flowers for those people unsuitably shod , and who were getting into nice clean cars .
Phoned sister ,are you sitting down ? —— only do you know the water is cut off - in WILMSLOW! I mean!!!
She is quite put out understandably but supplies of drinking water have been delivered in sealed bottles .
A Sparrow Hawk demolished a wood pigeon on her lawn, this morning ,very upsetting .
Well ladies it is all over , and just New Year  and then onwards and upwards
and get this thing beaten.
I keep looking at Flash Harry’s impossibly tiny hand imprints ,and think of all they can already do ,like draw moustaches and beards on his friend’s face !

I think I will have Salmon at New Year ,had enough of pork now .
Got a piece of ham in freezer too.  Won ‘t  starve will I!

Daffodil bulbs starting to peep through, the full size ones, the tete a tete have been up for a while .

Having a lazy afternoon, watching “ The Dam Busters”, weren’t they marvellous, I thrill at the growl of the huge Lancasters and wonder if the engines were in any way the work my Dad did at Avro’s ,assembling the R.R.Merlin Engines.

Well so good to get out in the crisp sunshine ,have a chat etc.
Nice to get home though.

Must do what Roobarb did, contact the P.O. To pick up parcels which won’t get to Suffolk any other way now.

So cheerio, look after yourselves ,I must get back to that lean,toned, smouldering Flamenco Gypsy,  or  the shambolation that is The Dubliners
with the late Luke Jelly singing his heart out.
Keeps me out of mischief , ::)
Viktoria.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:43 GMT (UK) »
How very dare they cut the water off in Wilmslow?  ;D ;D
My spring bulbs are peeping through too, I'll get to find out where I put them all! Much as I'd like to take the credit for the idea of sending parcels via the postie, it was actually Caroline.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 28 December 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
How very dare they cut the water off in Wilmslow?  ;D ;D
My spring bulbs are peeping through too, I'll get to find out where I put them all! Much as I'd like to take the credit for the idea of sending parcels via the postie, it was actually Caroline.  :)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 28 December 20 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Oooops, Sorry Caroline , so my thanks to you .
My sister posted something very small, mind you to Aus, postage nearly £16 .
Not sure if sending one parcel will be cheaper than three smaller.
Don’t suppose there will be much difference.
Not to Aus, ,
Just Suffolk.
Cheerio. Viktoria..

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 28 December 20 21:19 GMT (UK) »
I paid £3+ each for some light weight parcels inland uk in November.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 28 December 20 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ,I will do that  it matters not to whom I send them.
I send cheques but also smaller pressies, can go to my daughter as my G Daughter and Flash Harry’s Mummy all live very close and are in a bubble .
Thanks again.Viktoria.

Just watching the documentary about the 1940 London Blitz, my word we had it bad in Manchester but not like London ,I knew it was much worse  but
the full details have never really been shown , have seen lots of programmes
but this one sort of crystallised it ,the main object being to destroy St Paul’s
and demoralise the populace.
Later it was night after night .
Amazing we came through that.
Viktoria.