Author Topic: Edwin in Sydney  (Read 1148 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Edwin in Sydney
« on: Monday 28 December 20 03:07 GMT (UK) »
I am posting 2 photos of Edwin, for restoration (without colour) for anyone who is keen. They are not in the best condition, so any improvement would be welcomed.
Edwin was born in 1870, Queensland. He was my great-grandmother’s brother.
At the age of 16 Edwin had a huge argument with his father and walked out of the house saying “ You can go to bl…y hell”. (His father notes this in his journal.) Edwin didn’t return home for 9 years.
I am assuming that these photos were sent to the family while he was away, and therefore date from the late 1880s to early 1890s. Some comments from daters would be welcome. I think the one wearing the hat is the earliest – do you agree?
Many thanks for your help.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Edwin in Sydney
« Reply #1 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:05 GMT (UK) »
and the second photo.
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I will leave the dating to someone else, but I think he looks a bit younger in the photo with the hat, possibly late 20s, and maybe into his 30s in the second photo. 

He looks quite dapper for a lad who ran away from home at 16.  :)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 December 20 13:33 GMT (UK) »
He was quite the dandy  ;)

I would think that these were mid to  late 1890s, given the boater and the high collar. I've seen some pics that were dated early 1890s but most were mid decade.

Gadget

Add - both in his 20s
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 December 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 December 20 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Grouzelle was at 308 George st from 1898 to 1902

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article228436683
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article112778333

M

ADD: The earliest Trove reference for 'Grouzelle Studios Limited' that I can see is in 1901
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article125882039

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 28 December 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Dapper outfits... perhaps from same address as the studio....

... From Sands Directory 1900....
 Sydney streets
Page 55 .... George St
304-306-308 (JM notes, so within same building)
Lloyd and Collins, direct importers of hosiery, gloves, mercery, boots, fancy goods, &c,  Grouzelle Photographic Studios
308 Orme, Kelgwin and Co , wine and spirit merchants
310 ..... Kerry and Co, photographers...

At RChats NSW resources board ... thread with live links to the Sands Directories covering 1858 -1933, provided no charge via City of Sydney Archives.. .   :)

JM. One finger typing.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 28 December 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies. Japeflakes - Thank you very much for your tidy up of Edwin.
Matthewj64 – Thanks, You have given me some useful information. I have since done some more reading about Grouzelle – there is plenty of information in the newspapers about his photographic studio – a very fashionable establishment! I get the impression from my reading that clothes may have been provided for customers and dressing rooms were provided. I wonder if Edwin normally dressed in such a dapper manner.

This has made me rethink my timeline for Edwin. These two photos were taken at the turn of the century, which sits better with the clothes he is wearing. He would be aged between 28 and 32 years old. (Ruskie was spot on with his age.) Contrary to my thinking, the photos are NOT during time he “ran away” from the family farm, which was 1886-1896. So I still don’t know where he was during that time. Once he returned home, Edwin was working as a hairdresser and tabaconist. His clothing in the earlier photo might suggest that type of employment? His first child was born in Queensland in 1903. So there were a few years where Edwin did some travelling between Toowoomba and Sydney, before settling down to family life.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 December 20 21:12 GMT (UK) »
I have many offline resources for Sydney and NSW for your era ... happy to look up, but just need to know... what was his surname?   :)

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.