Author Topic: List of Popish priests for Kildare? (1704)  (Read 718 times)

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
List of Popish priests for Kildare? (1704)
« on: Tuesday 29 December 20 03:43 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find a list of 1704 Popish priests for Co. Kildare.

Seems like I've been able to find one for a lot of other places, except for Kildare.

The reason I am interested in it is that I wish to see all the men who acted as sureties.  I know one fellow I am interested in is on it, though I haven't seen the list. 

But what I'm really most interested in is to check to see if the same surname appears at another address.  Sort of a longshot, but I came across a random pedigree a while ago, which had multiple brothers on it, at different addresses, that all acted as sureties, for different priests.

I was hoping to find a brother, or maybe the man's father, if he was still living.  Of course, it would be nice to see where the parish priest was educated.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: List of Popish priests for Kildare? (1704)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Try Kildare Observer   plenty of names popping up when using ''popish priest''
http://archive.irishnewsarchive.com/Olive/APA/KCL.Edu/#panel=home

Offline Ghostwheel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: List of Popish priests for Kildare? (1704)
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, for the tip.  It is a good place to search.  That is actually how I found the one name I have already.

The downside is that optical character recognition is very bad generally.  I don't think it picks up every instance of the name, and to search by the address (I've tried many, sometimes intentionally misspelled) is even less fruitful, as place names are probably harder to recognize than names.  They often have more vowels and perhaps more spellings too.

It is a good site though. 

OCR is really what prevents me from trying to do much research in old newspapers.  I guess most of my folks probably wouldn't show up, so what exists would be like finding a needle in a haystack to start, and probably impossible with faulty OCR.

That's kind of another problem when you are looking at old books. "Control+F" doesn't always work, and many of them don't have an index, though you can browse them, or use less letters.

I wish that there was a more refined way to search.  For instance, I wish I could search for "coole..." (as the beginning of a hard-to-spell townland) while excluding the word "cool."  But if I try "coole", "-cool", it doesn't seem to work.  BTW, you gave me the idea to search "cool popish priests", but nothing came up.

It is even hard for me to reverse-engineer my one original result by guessing.  Though thankfully, I saved it.