Author Topic: Diary > Monday 28th December  (Read 1161 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 28th December
« on: Tuesday 29 December 20 09:05 GMT (UK) »
Is this situation were all in just wearing us all down?
Are we fed up with our daily grind?
Can we see an end to it all?

Probably, like me, you feel the answers to those questions is No not at the moment...

Another day has passed and there was nothing significant that happened...
The weather was dull, cold and cloudy... itís hard to be positive at times and I didnít feel in a positive mood yesterday as it now is....
Usual activities of nothing... hard to feel motivated to do much at all...
usual cooking....
some reading..
Another game of scrabble....
OH finished his jigsaw... if Iíd thought back to this time last year that my active husband would have resorted to doing jigsaws Iíd have laughed!
Oh well thatís the sum total of a day...
Sorry not to be positive and unbeat but just donít feel like it...
I should because people like Viktoria, Roobarb, River Tyne Lass and others who all live on their own are having a much harder time than I am and seem to be getting on with it.... so Iím sorry for sounding miserable .....
I canít write anymore today itís too depressing..
Wishing the best to all my virtual friends, your posts have been so comforting to read ....
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 28th December
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 09:13 GMT (UK) »
Early rush around to do the dreaded grocery shopping, but the roads were surprisingly empty and not many other early shoppers.Fresh fruit and veg in abundance with green stuff vastly reduced, and a case full of left over pork pies. Are they a Thing at Christmas? If they were, they don't seem to be anymore.
On the way back, I stopped off to pop into the town centre to collect my pre-paid bread; happily, all quiet being still early-ish.  Someone asked me the time, which was 09:38.
The trouble with that was a long day stretching ahead with not much to do, but the sunshine showed up mucky carpets, so I filled some time taking the vacuum into every room, and it still wasn't lunchtime when I finished, though the sun had disappeared and we had rain, which meant that our afternoon walk was fairly quiet.
Had a long video chat with chums in the North, and weirdly, they don't have snow, though the Midlands does.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Monday 28th December
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 09:42 GMT (UK) »
Iím cold, depressed and fed up. Iím still without central heating, I did contact a supposedly on call boiler place yesterday but they couldnít do anything. I sent a text yesterday to the engineer who fitted it and got a reply this morning heís off until 4 Jan but will pop up this afternoon to have a look. Iíve tried the company I used to use no one answers the phone so I guess they are closed.

Meanwhile I wear full thermals I wear outside when visiting Switzerland in the winter. I have a convector heater in the lounge which gets the lounge to around 18 if Iím lucky and the rest of the flat is cold very cold.

Itís the culmination of two horrible years, the only consolation is that Iím still alive which I might not have been if my breast cancer hadnít been found when it was.

Will we ever get back to anything vaguely normal I doubt it? As someone who is
ďextremely vulnerable ď we seem low down on the list for vaccinations. Where I live the north and central surgeries of the town has begun vaccinations, but the south surgeries hasnít got any vaccines! My doctorís surgery is in the southern part!

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Oh Gibel, so sorry you are feeling so down and hope you get something sorted about your heating soon

My husband didn't ask for the vaccination, he had a text that probably, at the time, went out to a lot of people asking him to register for a test, he did and has had the vaccination, if you look online I think you can request the vaccination, give it a try Gibel, worth it even if they give you a later date

Take care

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

Online mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Good to know the vaccination programme is working in some parts of the Uk, thanks LM. 
GIBEL, I would suggest you contact your GP to get on a list. I am told, by someone who might actually know, that supplies of vaccinations will be flown in by the military if necessary, so hopefully we should all be attended to with reasonable haste. 
Your heating situation sounds dire, and I hate to imagine you creeping around your flat in perishing cold.  If you are able to do something extravagant to move yourself every hour or so that should help your circulation.  There are certain music tracks that I just HAVE to dance to, which always warms me up (AND cheers me too). Caroline favours yogalates, or perhaps attempt some Tai Chi which is quite gentle.... you can find videos to follow on-line.
CAROLINE: Off days are inevitable I'm afraid.  And you are as entitled to low days as anyone else.
I am sending virtual hugs.  I have no doubt your indomitable spirit will conquer pretty soon.
Hang in there everyone.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I've been feeling much the same as you, I don't like this time of year at the best of times and this certainly isn't the best of times. Can I see an end to it? Yes, just not quite yet. You're right, it is hard dealing with it alone but that doesn't mean it's easy for you, don't feel bad about your feelings.

MH, I think pork pies are often used as a party food and as no parties are allowed....... I thought it was a bit of a turnabout too that we don't have snow here in the North (fingers crossed it stays that way!) but the Midlands does. You wrote your extra comments while I was typing mine, I agree with everything you said!

Gibel, I'm so sorry to hear that you're still without heating, it must be awful being cold all the time. I hope the engineer manages to sort it out for you today. Things seem to be changing day to day with the vaccine so hopefully it won't be too long before you get it.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
My day, such as it was:

Woke up at about 5am and couldn't get back to sleep so read for about an hour. After that I went to sleep again. Some people would get up at that time, I'm not one of them. When I woke the second time I had to really drag myself awake, was still feeling tired. Looked out of the window and saw that the house rooves were white with frost.

It was freezing cold when I went for a walk about midday, people out walking anyway. Home for lunch, my new doormat arrived, the old one had seen better days. Did some more to my watercolour painting while the light was still good. Then washed the kitchen floor and did other chores. Breaded cod for tea. Another week of rubbish on TV ahead. Feeling a bit fed up with life at the moment but have to be thankful I've still got a life.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear some many of you are feeling down.  I think it's a mixture of post Christmas blues and virus fatigue.

Hopefully the vaccine will give us our freedom back but we've got some tough weeks ahead.

Stay safe, keep warm and let's hope for a better New Year.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 11:35 GMT (UK) »
I am sure the blues are a lot to do with the time of year plus the  Covid problem this year.

For me January is a time to reconsider my weight, not that I  have really over eaten, well I must be honest, no doubt I have, don't eat Christmas pud that often, so from next week I will be cutting  down, don't  we all in January?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes