Author Topic: Diary > Monday 28th December  (Read 2298 times)

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 28th December
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear some of you are feeling blue.  The depths of winter can be difficult for many in the best of times.  Spring is coming and by then hopefully many people will have been vaccinated.
The past few days have been a bit of blur, back to the same-old same-old after the flurry of Christmas. Some housework, some working on my online work (I create educational resources), finishing up the jigsaw, a bit of of family history, reading, and some TV.  OH and I watched the last episode of The Crown, which we thoroughly enjoy, but take a lot of it with a huge grain of salt.
Yesterday we did our grocery pick-up (some of you call it Click and Collect), excitement of the day! Very quick and efficient, we find if we arrive a little later in the hour allotted it is quicker.  The store is about 10 minutes away so we were soon home and getting things put away.  I drink a lot of milk and they were out of stock (the holiday - guess the cows get a day off, too :) ) but OH has volunteered to pick it up when he goes to the drugstore today.  Hope they have it!
Snow has been melting, 3-4 inches left.  In this weather it just slowly evaporated so no mess out there yet, but rain is coming. Colder this morning, I take the dog out at 6:30, so get a sense of the day’s weather. 
Woke up after having vivid dreams (not like me), with slight cold symptoms. Not happy but just hoping they disappear.
OH just brought me two pieces of bacon - am back in bed. Dog (Darcy) is sitting right here, giving me a piercing look....hope springs eternal in the doggie breast!

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 12:50 GMT (UK) »
In Edinburgh we awoke to snow and bright sunshine (Tuesday) it looks beautiful.
A couple of friends that have Grandchildren have sent clips of them all sledging which was a joyous thing to see, very uplifting.
I may go out for a walk as it’s so pretty but then again I may not as it’s very chilly  :D

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
I too have nothing of real note to impart.   Not exactly feeling 'blue' but certainly lethargic.   Freezing cold and don't even want to poke my nose out the door so I won't.

Weather forecast is for snow in next couple of days (I'm in Suffolk) so more reason to stay cocooned indoors and certainly to avoid travelling anywhere.

I think we've all been involved in the 'hype' of Christmas what with present buying, food shopping, with the certain knowledge that Christmas itself was going to be different this year.   Now that it's over we seem to have hit a 'hiatus' which sort of puts us in no mans land.   Nothing of note to look forward to right now and New Year is going to be another 'non-event' that's for sure.

So haven't really done anything of note in the 2 days since Boxing Day.  Did look at Sale items on some of the larger online sites but saw nothing I liked or worth buying.   So retail therapy out of the window too.   We have a cousin quiz night every Wednesday and my sister has enrolled another cousin and his wife.   I'm the question master this week (having won last week) and so had to source some questions online.  Found a set of questions on New Year so have printed them off.  Will have an element of luck as well as judgment as every question has 3 possible answers.   For instance the first question is What is the first country to celebrate the New Year - options Tonga, Tuvalu or Fiji.   Answer Tonga.  So, if you don't 'know' an answer your guess could be right so seems a fair sort of quiz for everyone.

My next food delivery is 30th Dec (instead of usual Friday) - yikes, just realised will have to open my door and let the cold in.   Also have my orders secured for 8th and 15th January.

At least our quiz night will have some kind of element of fun so something at least to look forward to.

Continue to stay safe everyone and wrap up warm.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hope your cold symptoms soon go Diana, along with the snow. Your OH will have to become chief dog walker otherwise, along with being head chef!

OFG, the snow certainly looks lovely when it first falls, great for the children to play in. Seems there has been some in my area, in the hills and just a few miles south. I'm hoping my coastal location keeps it away!

Annette, multiple choice sounds a good idea for the quiz, everyone will feel like they're getting a fair crack at it.

My feeling fed up isn't due to the lull after Christmas as I didn't have anything to come down from, for me it was just a day like most others lately, the only high point being that someone else cooked my dinner! It's down to having spent so much time alone without any social life for months. I'm counting my blessings -I'm warm (unlike poor Gibel) and well fed - but it's like my mother used to say, Life gets tedious sometimes.
On the optimistic side, the days will get longer now and we can look forward to the spring bulbs showing their lovely flowers.

Two good things yesterday - after cancelling Readly after my free trial ran out they sent me another free trial of two months, just have to remember to cancel in good time when it's getting towards the end. So I have lots of magazines to read on my tablet.
Also just finished a book by Rachel Joyce, 'Miss Benson's Beetle'. I love her books and this was no exception, some parts that made me laugh and others that made me cry. Fantastic.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:24 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you all know since around 4.30pm I have a working boiler! Slowly very slowly my flat is warming up. I’m going to leave the heating on all night to really warm the flat as some of it is really cold. I might need less warm clothes on too, well inside I mean!

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:27 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant! So pleased for you Gibel  :D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:32 GMT (UK) »
So delighted for you Gibel.... that IS the best news I have heard in days. :)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:36 GMT (UK) »
Just to let you all know since around 4.30pm I have a working boiler! Slowly very slowly my flat is warming up. I’m going to leave the heating on all night to really warm the flat as some of it is really cold. I might need less warm clothes on too, well inside I mean!

Great news!

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone, it was a great relief having a working boiler again and slowly everywhere is warming up thank goodness.