Author Topic: Diary > Monday 28th December  (Read 2290 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 28th December
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Well having started off in a depressive mood this morning when writing about yesterday...I’m humbled to read that Diane is is bed suffering with a cold and Gibel I just sat and cried when I read your first post... what a thoughtless soul I am when people like yourself have suffered so much... I’m really pleased to hear that your heating has been fixed and by now you should be nice and toasty....

I think as quite a few people have said after Christmas it’s felt like a big let down... now to pick oneself up by the boot straps and carry on...
I know that some people suffer with the winter blues, it’s not something I’ve really understood before but I think maybe I do now!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, bless you, I wasn’t in bed with the cold...I did have cold symptoms but they disappeared by noon, thankfully - might have just been the weather.  Every morning after I take to dog out, I go back to bed after making tea for myself and OH, and just have a relaxing hour reading! I must say I admire your housecleaning and cooking, you seem to have a lot of energy. 
So glad Gibel has heat now.  Hard to get on with things when one is either too hot or too cold!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 08:46 GMT (UK) »
In the Northern hemisphere, the weeks after Christmas are usually hard to endure for most of us I think, and I bet many would hibernate if we could.  This year it is likely to be worse than usual I fear, but the days will roll on inexorably, and Spring IS creeping up behind us.  :-*
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 09:52 GMT (UK) »
It was lovely getting warm again last night although it took 3 hours for the rooms to feel really warm. It was so normal I had to change fleece pyjamas for normal ones. Had a panic this morning when the heating wasn’t on but it did get going again. I’ve just had a shower, bliss after quick washes after boiling the kettle!

Sorry to hear people are feeling so down I’m the same. I think it’s due to the dark days, cold and the never ending grind of when will it all end. Some good news today that the Oxford vaccine has been approved. Hopefully that means that many more people will be vaccinated soon.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Boiler stopped again! Waiting for a new engineer to come given up on the original one!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 13:11 GMT (UK) »
Oh noooooooooo.  :'(
That is awful Gibel.
Fingers crossed the plumber gets you sorted today.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
New engineer came and got it working but I have to operate it in a different way as a temporary fix, I’m having a new boiler 3 engineer visits in 8 days is too much for me! The new one will be guaranteed for 10 years.

Flat is lovely and warm again thank goodness. It’s taken it’s toll on me but hopefully a good sleep tonight and I should feel better. It’s been a horrible couple of years.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Living through a winter with an uncertain and temperamental boiler is a nightmare Gibel, and I truly sympathise.  So glad it is working again.
It does sound as if you have been having an awful time of it lately.
As the adage goes: "troubles never come singly", but hopefully you have endured your quota now, and the law of averages does point towards a brighter horizon for you, so fingers crossed.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully a much better year coming up for you, Gibel.
Might seem like a dumb question, what is a boiler, in the sense of a heater?