Author Topic: Janet Young Conroy Stewart b1897  (Read 1290 times)

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Young Conroy Stewart b1897
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 15:15 GMT (UK) »

The entry for 1917 was under England Select Marriages !!

Interesting birth in 1863

John STEWART -  mothers maiden name    YOUNG

GRO Reference - 1863  M Quarter in Alnwick Union  Volume 10B  Page 294

Sandra

Thanks, Sandra. That Young reference has given me something to work on.
I also think I need to get a copy of the Black/Stewart marriage to see if holds any additional clues - witnesses, etc

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Janet Young Conroy Stewart b1897
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 January 21 09:39 GMT (UK) »
I have no certificates to support my theory, but there is circumstantial evidence that the parents of the Janet Stewart whose birth was registered in Berwick Dec 1896 were John Stewart and Mary Conroy (Mar 1901 Alnwick), and that John's parents were  John Stewart and Elizabeth Ann Young ( Dec 1860 S Shields).
In 1891 and 1901 John was described as a "chimney sweep". He died  in  1904 (Mar 1904 Alnwick. Age 41)

Janet Y C Stewart was married on 30 October 1915. Her age is shown as 18, a spinster with no occupation given. Her father is recorded as John Stewart, deceased, a general labourer. As far as I can determine, the witnesses were a young solicitor's clerk and a railway booking clerk. The groom was a railway signalman. In subsequent census records, JYCS's place of birth was given as  Berwick.

I can find no second Janet Stewart on Free BMD, or on any census return that suggests there may have been more than one individual of that name with a similar personal profile.
 Is there anything further I can do to conclusively establish  that both sets of records refer to the same person?