Author Topic: Can someone help explain some DNA matches  (Read 626 times)

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can someone help explain some DNA matches
« on: Tuesday 29 December 20 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Trying to work out how these results may occur, can someone help keep me sane?

Both my mother and myself have our DNA samples on MyHeritage and I can see her matches as I manage her sample.

Anyway we get the usual matches with each other in regards to known relations - but we've both had a low level match with me having a higher DNA link than my mother to someone who we presume is descended from my mother's maternal gg grandparents as we know some of that part of the family ended up in Utah in 1850s closely involved with the inner circle of the early Mormons.

The first image shows my DNA sample as matching 52.9cm across 3 segments with the largest segment being 24.4cm

Whereas my mother matches 42.5cm across 2 segments with the largest 22.5cm.

How does this work as I'd have thought it would have been normal for my mother to have the higher numbers or am I being stupid on this?

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone help explain some DNA matches
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 19:10 GMT (UK) »
I have a few matches who match both me and my mother, but have a greater match to me. A small amount might just be a variation in the test, but when the difference is larger - and I see that you match on three segments with your relative while your mother matches only on two - I have assumed that they are also related to my father's family. 
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 29 December 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
It seems to me the most likely explanation in this case is that the father/husband is also related to you, hence his daughter has inherited some shared dna from both of her parents.

My personal weirdness is I have two instances where I have matches which Ancestry predicts are mother and daughter, but both show as having no shared matches.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline Seesure

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Galium and Albufera32,

I hadn't actually considered that, as most of my father's family were based in India from around 1850 to 1910 although some stayed until the 1950s (British Army / East India Company).

One strand of the family left Ireland in 1852 so it's possible a sibling or two went to the USA during that period, although trying to find any records from Ireland in the 1830s (which is a far as I can get on that strand) is proving to be a brick wall.

But thinking about it, I've found 3 further people in the US with whom I share between 78 to 87 Cms and they all have the same surname as one of my paternal ggrandmothers so it's possible some left India and their descendants found their way to the US and met with ancestors from my maternal line....

Many thanks for the pointer :)

Offline JohnDoe2020

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 21 17:06 GMT (UK) »
You are on the right track. It is unlikely that you inherited that match solely from you mother. In many communities, marriage between cousins is/was common. This occurred for a number of reasons, religion, proximity, Caste systems and just plain availability. When you build the family tree, I am sure you will see some cross connections.