Author Topic: Unbelievable  (Read 3338 times)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unbelievable
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I've no time for it, but sadly it's happening all over the place.
As far as I'm aware it's illegal for people to travel from Scotland into England without 'reasonable excuse', but my a friend of my daughter working in a store in Carlisle city centre reports that she encountered quite a few Scots who said they'd had come down for a days shopping.
They can't all have had 'reasonable excuse' under the current Scottish regulations.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 09:35 GMT (UK) »
The problem is most of these law breakers won't be caught - and they know it. And if by the slimmest of chances they are - the worst that will happen is a fine (£200 I believe) and that only seems to be in extreme cases, most will just have a policeman explaining the rules to them yet again.

Hopefully not too many of them will have an infection to spread. But there are always the unknown numbers of the asymptomatic and the pre-symptomatic and those who have a positive test result and feel OK so think it's all right to be out and about. 
Experiences of a contact tracer

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-55280321

Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I'm not saying it's acceptable.  I'm saying it's understandable. I'm not condoning it, but I do understand the desperation some people feel.  If they are desperate to travel 200 miles to do something which may be benefical to their mental health that doesn't make them 'moron's'.

No it's not understandable at all.  Going to your nearest green space to walk is understandable.  Even in the most built up areas of the UK the nearest green space is not 200 miles away.  There are things that can be done to boost your mental health that does not involve travelling across the country.  Viruses cannot move, people move viruses.  What would really boost the mental health of the whole country is for this to be over and this will be never be over if people continue to be so reckless.

I know what people are going to say that I'm a selfish cow and yes I flipping well am because seeing people die at rates I have never seen before has damaged my mental health, as has being unable to relieve people's symptoms , calling people to tell them that their loved one has died and that they cannot have a full funeral, the stress of trying to find beds for everyone.  I coped at first by telling myself it's not for ever but every time I saw people do things like in this report I have lost a little bit of hope to the point I have no hope left. Now it's not the stress of finding a bed and rearraging everything but the knowledge that there is literally nowhere, even the extra beds are full.  I have to cope with this while there people accusing us of murder, fraud and all sorts. The least I should be able to expect is that the so called decent people heed warnings and don't trail the virus 100s of miles across the country.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Well said Pharma.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 10:16 GMT (UK) »
"I have to cope with this while there people accusing us of murder, fraud and all sorts. "

Don't under estimate your worth Pharma T, I feel, in general, the NHS is rallying round to do their best,

Stay safe

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  I completely agree  with Ruskie....

Pharma, you are absolutely right.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 12:12 GMT (UK) »
Well done Pharma, you tell it like it is, we can’t pussy foot any more about this , I am sick and tired of people’s warped thinking ,the guidelines are there, be unselfish - for possibly the first time ! - it would seem given the behaviour of many.

People not at the front face of this, (ie Health workers etc  are at the front face) truly have no right to be doing anything other than complying with given standards of behaviour which are there to help as many as possible.
What is the matter with people who can’t apply rules for the good of all to themselves, have they a death wish?
Do they have delusions if grandeur and feel “ It won’t get me because I am above it !?”
It seems to me there is so much crass selfishness and self serving that it is shameful our Nation can sink so low that 50,000 new cases can be the daily
Infection rate.
I thought after “ This” we would emerge with some National Pride and a feeling we got through by combined efforts, but no , it is shameful , truly shameful to see the selfish idiocy of so many people.
Have they no compassion for Health Workers?
They are not robots or automata ,but people  with families and a finite level of energy and good health and not immune from despair and depression at
all they witness., day in day out.
I have no solution , but unless we law abiders wholeheartedly condemn the selfish idiots who are making things a lot worse for everyone they will sail through it all, spreading the virus and if they succumb themselves will expect the full treatment available from overstretched health workers for whom they have not spared  one thought .
There ought to be a tier system in the nursing of such criminals, for  that  is
just what they are, nothing less .
How can they expect people for whom they have had no consideration to put their lives at risk by nursing they who laughed in the face of advice given for the good of all.
Viktoria.

Offline Gone

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Reading through this thread, I don't think anyone is going to come on here and disagree with what's been said.
Living in the west country, people from far and wide were descending on us for weeks when the first lockdown ended, I can see the A30 through Devon in the distance. It was nose to tail for weeks.
I wish they could see what it's like to have breathing difficulties. My partner has meds to help keep her lungs clear, several nebulisers daily, 8 hours + on oxygen every night, and is always breathless.
Covid would kill her, she's terrified she might contract it.
But would seeing someone like this make any difference to the hoards descending on us?
I can pretty well say no with 100% certainty.
I think "morons" describes them perfectly, selfish!

guest141721

« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I can comfort you with the fact that you're not alone. Here in Sweden the Prime Minister went out with stricter recommendations regarding visits to shopping malls etc - in effect don't visit them unless it's urgent and if you have to then wear a facemask. Two days later he was seen in a shopping mall and without a facemask.

To misquote George Orwell "All 'men' are equal but some are more equal than others".