Author Topic: Unbelievable  (Read 3354 times)

Offline jo1962

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unbelievable
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 01:27 GMT (UK) »
So are you saying it's understandable that these people travel from their own locality to another locality  .... and thereby impose themselves upon that other locality ...    isn't that the very behaviour that is meant to be avoided...

yes, it is meant to be avoided.  Who knows for certain where they came from.  I live in an area of outstanding beauty that attracts people from far and wide.  I went for a walk yesterday and it was teeming with people. I didn't assume people had travelled from other tiers.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 02:19 GMT (UK) »
Over the weekend, here in Sydney, there was a wedding in the inner suburbs. The whole party, from what I can gather, was from the northern beaches area, which is in lockdown, and people are not SUPPOSED to leave the area.

The news reports are that it was organised by the bride. The groom was innocent of any involvement in the organising. It will be an interesting marriage. ::) ::)

Some 25 people, so far, have been fined $1000 each for leaving the lockdown area. Reports are that one person will challenge the fine in court, which will ensure that names are in the public arena.

AC

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 03:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes,  AC I am at Nords Wharf,  just South of Swansea....  my husband and I cannot fathom the foolishness of those in that wedding... they were prepared to jepodise the health and well being of each other, their guests, the extended family of those guests, the staff of the function centre, and .... the risk of forcing a more widespread lockdown across Sydney and NSW . .. around 6 million people  .... 7 and a half million ...  OH says ..  lock them up. 

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Over the weekend, here in Sydney, there was a wedding in the inner suburbs. The whole party, from what I can gather, was from the northern beaches area, which is in lockdown, and people are not SUPPOSED to leave the area.

The news reports are that it was organised by the bride. The groom was innocent of any involvement in the organising. It will be an interesting marriage. ::) ::)

Some 25 people, so far, have been fined $1000 each for leaving the lockdown area. Reports are that one person will challenge the fine in court, which will ensure that names are in the public arena.

AC

Bride and Groom have been named. I thought it odd that the bride was fined but not the groom. She must have got up to something without his knowledge.  ;)

I completely agree with JM’s comment at reply #8.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't agree more AC and JM. I'm in the Northern Beaches (northern zone) and haven't been out for 2 weeks now  except for my morning walk at 5:30am (OH has been grocery shopping and to get a COVID test). We postponed Christmas lunch with the family, looks like it will be indefinitely now ... The selfishness of a few is astounding, most people I know up here are willing to do what it takes to get and keep things under control. Doesn't make me angry so much as utterly bewildered.  ::)

Modified to add: COVID test was negative.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 03:43 GMT (UK) »
Maddy,  I share two very important and magical words.... from my household to yours....

Thank You

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks JM

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Couldn't agree more AC and JM. I'm in the Northern Beaches (northern zone) and haven't been out for 2 weeks now  except for my morning walk at 5:30am (OH has been grocery shopping and to get a COVID test). We postponed Christmas lunch with the family, looks like it will be indefinitely now ... The selfishness of a few is astounding, most people I know up here are willing to do what it takes to get and keep things under control. Doesn't make me angry so much as utterly bewildered.  ::)

Modified to add: COVID test was negative.

Congratulations to OH

We are lucky in that we have not been locked down, and are lucky that we can go about our "usual" things, shopping and walking for exercise without much drama.

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 08:55 GMT (UK) »
I'm not saying it's acceptable.  I'm saying it's understandable. I'm not condoning it, but I do understand the desperation some people feel.  If they are desperate to travel 200 miles to do something which may be benefical to their mental health that doesn't make them 'moron's'.

It is ILLEGAL for people to travel  from Hertfordshire - a tier 4 county - to potentially spread infection to an area with much lower rates. The people from Hertfordshire (and I suspect many others were also from tier 4 areas) are blatantly breaking the law - it is a legal requirement to stay at home in a Tier 4 area except for a limited number of essential reasons. I cannot understand that to go 200 miles to a country area is beneficial for their mental health and therefore within the law. Exercise should be taken locally. Hertfordshire is NOT wall to wall tarmac, there is plenty of nice countryside here.   
All through this pandemic the Government has given "advice" and issued " guidelines" hoping the public "would make up their own minds". A significant proportion have and they made up their minds that you could take or leave advice - it was only advice after all.
If people break rules and happen to get caught by the police, they have the rules explained to them - as if they didn't know them already by now - and are sent home. No action taken - free to repeat offend.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott