Author Topic: WW2 British uniform question  (Read 1804 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 British uniform question
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 December 20 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Not that it helps a great deal but 512 Company ATS was in the Middle East 1943/1945 (war diaries at the National Archives).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:43 GMT (UK) »
They were on an overseas posting so only friends of the couple amongst serving personnel would be there. He could have given the bride away.

That makes sense.  :)

(Though it still doesn’t explain the hand holding)  ;D

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 December 20 23:38 GMT (UK) »

Offline tonip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 January 21 01:02 GMT (UK) »

There are 2 wedding photos that we know of (both held at the Library of Congress due to them having the full collection of the photographer!). The other one is a larger group, I'm guessing all the people at the wedding - all look to be military.  In both photos he is standing next to the bride and in both he is holding her hand....it is intriguing!

:o What?
Why? How very curious.

Is there anyone in the family who may be able to offer an explanation? Presuming both of your grandparents are deceased, perhaps a close relative of your grandparents or  their children?

No one of their generation is left alive and everyone I have spoken to is surprised. We had one of the photos all along so could have asked Grandma about it except nobody noticed until the second photo surfaced after their deaths.

Offline tonip

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 January 21 01:05 GMT (UK) »
What was your grandmother's age when she was married? Did she have any other relatives who might have been at the wedding, older brother, father even? One would imagine that only a close relative would hold her hand.

Hope you get the question sorted out.

Good luck and Happy New Year

She was 22 yrs old. The only male relative it could remotely be is an uncle, but I can't find any sign that he served in WW2, and there isn't much of a resemblance. It is likely to stay a mystery I suspect.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 January 21 21:39 GMT (UK) »
I'm still interested that "Army Man" seems to be wearing corporal's stripes but only on his right arm. As far as I am aware no units of either the British Army or the RAF followed this practice apart from certain regiments when in Dress Uniform only, which is not the case here.  Can any of our resident experts throw any light on this ? Could our man belong to a non-British or Commonwealth force (Polish, Free-French etc.) ? Could he be a military hospital patient out for the ceremony, which might explain the hand-hold if he is a bit fragile ?  Any other thoughts ?
Maec
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 January 21 21:47 GMT (UK) »
I wondered if he had sight problems due to injury
GEDmatch M157477

Offline pc99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 03 January 21 10:23 GMT (UK) »
I'm still interested that "Army Man" seems to be wearing corporal's stripes but only on his right arm. As far as I am aware no units of either the British Army or the RAF followed this practice apart from certain regiments when in Dress Uniform only, which is not the case here.  Can any of our resident experts throw any light on this ? Could our man belong to a non-British or Commonwealth force (Polish, Free-French etc.) ? Could he be a military hospital patient out for the ceremony, which might explain the hand-hold if he is a bit fragile ?  Any other thoughts ?
Maec

Offline pc99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 03 January 21 10:25 GMT (UK) »
You can see the stripes on his left arm in the second photo.