Author Topic: Genes Reunited  (Read 1933 times)

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Genes Reunited
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 January 21 15:27 GMT (UK) »
After Lensmeister's original question, I went onto GR for the first time in years and typed my father's name in the search, with DOB. Only 6 entries came up, 5 of whom I'd obviously been in touch with 10 years or more ago. However, there was one I hadn't seen so I sent him a message with most interesting results.

My father was his 10th cousin or thereabouts and he was obviously not young and had been researchng for very many years. However, and this I found fascinating - his tree was not on GR and never had been, although he had been in contact with them about it some years ago when it was found (not surprisingly) that his tree was far too big to load. He couldn't share his tree with me because it didn't exist and he couldn't understand how on earth GR knew about his very remote connection with my father. All his information was off-line and he was able to tell me, correctly, what my line was going back to 1780.

So - you are not alone, Lensmeister, and the lady you contacted may not have put her tree on there either? Does GR have a set of very high tech crystal balls or something? :D
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Genes Reunited is part of  Findmypast, so there is likely to be a crossover of information.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:13 GMT (UK) »
  Like others, I had not been on GR for many years, so went and looked. I thought I saw a Findmypast logo in there somewhere. I didn't realise they were linked.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Lensmeister

• RootsChat Veteran
  • https://neilsfhsite.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Genes Reunited is part of  Findmypast, so there is likely to be a crossover of information.

I thought that but why would they have all my tree info under someone elses name
Hugkulstone: All
All Surname Interests here: https://neilsfhsite.wordpress.com/surnames-and-areas/

All Whitby football related research:
https://wtfchistoryhome.wordpress.com/

Austrian Genealogy Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/272740293132370

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:28 GMT (UK) »
There obvious thing is to ask Genes Reunited, both directly and through facebook and their discussion sites.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 02 January 21 12:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am quite fascinated by this thread. it rings bells loudly for me.

Recently approximately a month ago I went back to GR just to do a spot of research.
I checked my GR tree which had three names, just to make a tree. Well I was totally shocked at the number of names that had been added to my tree. Interestingly that is in my maiden name and other places it is my married name So???

I was so upset that I deleted the whole thing. 

My conclusion is that these companies all are connected. 
Essnell

Online Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 January 21 12:45 GMT (UK) »
Essnell

Yes, They are all the same company.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 02 January 21 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,
I am quite fascinated by this thread. it rings bells loudly for me.

Recently approximately a month ago I went back to GR just to do a spot of research.
I checked my GR tree which had three names, just to make a tree. Well I was totally shocked at the number of names that had been added to my tree. Interestingly that is in my maiden name and other places it is my married name So???

I was so upset that I deleted the whole thing. 

Essnell

I've noticed before that in GR the name you join with (your usual name) can be different from the one in your tree  - which convention has as your birth name.

They are part of the same company - but my GR tree is different from the one I have at FindMyPast which has not been updated in ages.

Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)