Author Topic: Cannnot decipher 1841 and 1851 census for same family  (Read 1615 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cannnot decipher 1841 and 1851 census for same family
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 02 January 21 21:08 GMT (UK) »
From reply #22

"So I think I am left with two possible baptisms - how do I know which is the correct one please:
Baptism 1: George GREW St Matthew, Bethnal Green, Mdsx, born 19 Jan 1776 and bapt 2 Feb 1776. Fa: George, a weaver. Mo: Sarah

Baptism 2: George GREW ST Matthew, Bethnal Green, Mdsx, born 17 May 1784 and bap 30 May 1784. Fa: John (weaver), Mo: Elizabeth."

Did your George name a son John?

Did your George name a daughter Sarah or Elizabeth?

Quite often a 1st son is named after his paternal g/father but where there are large families/siblings the 2nd son can often be named after the paternal g/father.

However, with common names & if on both sides it can be difficult to tell.

Annie

It looks like my George and Elizabeth had the following children: Ann 1811, Martha 1813, James George 1818, Sarah, Caroline 1821 & Emma.

So not much help! Am I at a brick wall, do you think, with this?

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.  He’s fast becoming one. (A brick wall that is).

As George gave at least one of his children a non-conformist baptism, I wonder if his parents were non- conformists.
I read through the baptism entries for Stoke Newington parish church from 1770 to 1808, but didn’t see any Grews.

Or George chose to say he came from Stoke Newington when he did in fact come from Bethnal Green.  Have you tried tracing the Bethnal Green George to see if he can be ruled out?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hmm.  He’s fast becoming one. (A brick wall that is).

As George gave at least one of his children a non-conformist baptism, I wonder if his parents were non- conformists.
I read through the baptism entries for Stoke Newington parish church from 1770 to 1808, but didn’t see any Grews.

Or George chose to say he came from Stoke Newington when he did in fact come from Bethnal Green.  Have you tried tracing the Bethnal Green George to see if he can be ruled out?

Yes and I can't rule him out. There appear to be a large group of Grews (maybe two related families) whose church was St Matthews, Bethnal Green at that time and the males were employed as weavers.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:11 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking in FS Genealogies at the moment.  On their International Genealogical Index (IGI) it says George Grew - Christening 19 November 1738 St Botolph, London, London, England married Sarah Comarque about 1770 of St. Matthew, Bethnel Green, London, England.

***I don't know whether to believe this; is it just someone putting up a tree or is the IGI somehow verified?

This could mean that they then had George junior as one of the two possible baptisms I have: born 17 Jan 1776 and bap Fe 2 1776 at St Matthe'ws Bethnal Green, Fa George (a weaver) Mo : Sarah

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:32 GMT (UK) »
It looks like my George and Elizabeth had the following children: Ann 1811, Martha 1813, James George 1818, Sarah, Caroline 1821 & Emma.

There doesn't appear to be a son John which you'd expect if his father was John?

Have you found & followed the other George & what names he gave his children in order?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:35 GMT (UK) »

There doesn't appear to be a son John which you'd expect if his father was John?

Have you found & followed the other George & what names he gave his children in order?

Annie

No, I can't work out how to do this, my head hurts trying to work it out! Can you help me with this please?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:43 GMT (UK) »
***I don't know whether to believe this; is it just someone putting up a tree or is the IGI somehow verified?

If the IGI haven't put in the info. with a source it should say something like 'user submitted'

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 02 January 21 22:45 GMT (UK) »

If the IGI haven't put in the info. with a source it should say something like 'user submitted'

Annie

Yes I think it was user submitted as it had a user name next to it

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 02 January 21 23:45 GMT (UK) »
So far as I can see, it looks like these are the two possible families:

John GREW (weaver)  m Elizabeth (BRYAN? in 1769)
1770  John
1773  William
1774  Mary Burthell
1776  James
1778  Elizabeth
1780  Peter
1782  Martha
1784  George
1790  Joseph

and George GREW (weaver)  m Sarah (HARRISON? 1766)
1767  George (possible death 1768)
1771  Sarah
1773  William
1776  George
1778  Susannah
1780  Mary
1782  William
1786  Lydia

I may have missed a few, from memory all bap Bethnal Green

There is also a death for a George GREW aged 52 at Westminster in 1837 (so born c1785) - just to complicate things more.

There is also a burial for a George GREW 22 July 1810 at the Countess of Huntington's Connexion, Spa Fields (the non conformist church where Caroline Rhodes GREW was baptised). No age given, is this a red herring? or a possible connection to the George and Sarah family?

Not sure that this helps.  :-\

Modified to strike through - I think that this George was 6 months old.