Author Topic: William Arthur Toates  (Read 871 times)

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Arthur Toates
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi on the GRO site......you have to register and create a password but it is free.

Tazzie

Ps glasses were in the ironing like I kept staring at.....given in and started ironing >:(really

Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Newspaper reference for Joseph Toates. Doesn't help figuring out who's who but I thought it might be of interest.

Herts & Cambs Reporter & Royston Crow
08 Oct 1897
page 8, column 3
Cambridge
Fatal Accident
An inquest was held at the Workhouse yesterday (Thursday) afternoon, respecting the death of Joseph Toates, relief porter at Histon Station, who died from the result of injuries received whilst in the performance of his duties on Wednesday afternoon. Deceased, who was 55 years of age, and lived at Impington, was knocked down by a passing train. A verdict of "Accidental death" was recorded.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline bobtonks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 December 20 08:44 GMT (UK) »
I checked the GRO ... very useful ... thank you for that.

The report in the local paper indicates that Joseph Toates inadvertently stepped from behind a stationary train into the path of a another slow moving train ... quite sad.

In 1911 his wife Susan lived in the house across the road and a few doors down from where I now live.