Author Topic: Query About Twin Births  (Read 1433 times)

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
Query About Twin Births
« on: Wednesday 30 December 20 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Someone has asked me this and I have no idea.

In England if there is a twin birth but 1 twin was stillborn would the time of birth be recorded on the surviving twin's birth certificate?

I hope someone here knows the answer.

Thanks  in advance.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Query About Twin Births
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Not an easy answer. If both rich twin children (especially both male) survive there is a valid reason to know the timing of the twins birth for the future. Who gets the manor house or title etc. But my opinion is that if one twin lives and one is dead there is no reason to record the death of the unfortunate one.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:31 GMT (UK) »
Just to digress, in some European countries The second twin born is according to The Code Napoleon ,considered to be the first conceived which just goes to show they knew nothing about the division of one egg in identical twins!
But it holds good in law , fortunes at stake etcetera!
Viktoria.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:41 GMT (UK) »
AntonyMMM would know as he used to be a Registrar.

I've messaged him.

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:53 GMT (UK) »
For the purposes of registration, a time (in England/Wales) is only shown for a multiple LIVE birth .... so if one of twins is stillborn, no time should be recorded for the surviving child.

Offline jaywit

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I will find them wherever they are hiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Antony   Thanks for that, I'll pass it on.
Cross Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Jennings Steeple Claydon Bucks,  Steel Byfield Northants,  Rogers Northants,  Wheeler Oxon,  Roberts Oxon,  Bonham Oxon/ Middleton Cheney Northants,  Maycock Northants,  Abbott Northants , Newman Northants, Buckingham Bucks, Hart Warks, Newth Gloucs.

UK Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 21:43 GMT (UK) »
For the purposes of registration, a time (in England/Wales) is only shown for a multiple LIVE birth .... so if one of twins is stillborn, no time should be recorded for the surviving child.

May I confirm that practice stands for multiple LIVE births in New South Wales ... so not just twins, but triplets or more ... if only one is born live, then no further word/s need  to be recorded for that birth registration.  If more than one is born live, then  the word elder or eldest is used depending on the number of live births.

My post is my wording after two of my ancient rellies have phoned me re this thread.  They are both retired former senior officers with NSW BDM,  and they send their greetings to Anthony MMM for his many explanatory posts on RChat.   

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Not an easy answer. If both rich twin children (especially both male) survive there is a valid reason to know the timing of the twins birth for the future. Who gets the manor house or title etc. But my opinion is that if one twin lives and one is dead there is no reason to record the death of the unfortunate one.

I don't think so. The stillborn twin cannot inherit and cannot possibly pass anything down to any descendants. 

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 22:15 GMT (UK) »
No it's not (or not compulsory that they do)