Author Topic: Bristol Parish Records Lookup - John Churchill (DOB 1815)  (Read 20266 times)

Offline SarahChurchill13

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bristol Parish Records Lookup - John Churchill (DOB 1815)
« on: Wednesday 30 December 20 22:39 GMT (UK) »
First time poster, so please correct me as necessary as I learn how to use RootsChat!  :)

Aside - I have been using Family Search, but have not yet subscribed to any other geneology sites, and am also not sure which one would be best to help me with further research, so haven't decided to pay for anything yet. If, in reading this post, someone has a suggestion for a good subscription geneology site that will help with parish records please do let me know.

I'm trying to trace back my history before the census records and have hit a brick wall. My family tree has a John Churchill, born 1815 in Bristol (per later census records - so DOB is likely an estimate). He died Aug 1877 in Sunderland. I have his father on his marriage record listed as William Churchill. My family tree that my grandfather worked on also listed his father as William Churchill with a DOB of 1780 and stated that he was a "London Butcher". Unfortunately my grandfather died before I got into this and I wasn't able to ask where he got that information from (I believe a lot of the family tree came from the Churchill Family Bible that my great aunt in England has). I am trying to figure out what siblings John Churchill had (my tree also has a brother, Alfred Churchill - no dates, just from the handwritten tree), and looking to see if I can determine which William Churchill was his father based on the records I'm finding.

Family Search has suggested a record hint of a Christening in 1813 for a John Churchill with a father of William Churchill and a mother named Margaretta. Searching for the same mother and father names pulls up records for Charles, Elizabeth and Margaretta all in Bristol at St. Paul's. It also pulls up a record for Samuel-Joyce with a mother of Margaret. I found later records of Christenings with parents William and Margaretta Churchill at St Pancras (in 1824) in London for Mary Ann Churchill, William Henry Churchill and James Joyce Churchill and was able to access the image file for these records, which show the father's profession as Gardener, and not Butcher. Later than that, in 1826, I have a Christening record for James Churchill in Honiton, Devon again with William and Margaretta. It could be one family moving around, or different families, and quite possible none of them are my William.

I am wondering if it is possible to access the images or more detailed records from St. Paul's in Bristol - I can only find the transcriptions, which don't include the profession of the father, and I'm hoping I will get lucky and find the profession for the Bristol records at least to rule in or out this William Churchill. I don't know if anyone has access to these (I'm in Canada, and obviously a trip to the UK isn't on the cards at the moment). The lack of Alfred Churchill makes me think I'm ruling out all these records, but I've never been able to find ANY records of Alfred Churchill. I would have thought he would have died in infancy perhaps, except it's odd that he's on the family tree my grandpa drew up if that were the case (and there were other children who died in infancy NOT on the tree). I'm also wondering if I may get lucky and find a middle name of Alfred of one of the other children on the records which could maybe explain things?

If anyone has any other suggestions on how to track down this William Churchill, or find his wife's name, please let me know. I can't find him in any census data (not a huge surprise if he was born in 1780) and I'm not sure where else to look. May not be possible!

Thank you in advance! :)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bristol Parish Records Lookup - John Churchill (DOB 1815)
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 23:03 GMT (UK) »
Abode  West St

John Churchill
Baptism 17 Jan 1813 St Philip and Jacob, Gloucestershire
Father:   William Churchill Mother:   Margaretta

EDIT sorry wrote the wrong occupation William was a  Gardener
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Do you have John on 1841 census?

Did John marry Elizabeth Jarman?

Offline SarahChurchill13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ladyhawk - looks like it's not him, or he had a very late and odd change of career!  :D Thanks for helping me rule out a record though!

Yes, John married Elizabeth Jarman. I have the family tree (quite thoroughly) for all their descendents, just can't take it back and further before them (beyond his father as William and Elizabeth Jarman's father as George on their marriage record). I've managed to broaden the tree since my Grandpa worked on it, but never managed to take it back further, even with the internet. Clearly that family Bible had all the important info in it!

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Is there a connection with son Alfred’s middle name Braddon and the witness to John & Elizabeth’s marriage Margretta Braddon ?

Offline SarahChurchill13

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 30 December 20 23:55 GMT (UK) »
Quite possibly - I don't have the details of the marriage (witness info) so didn't know this! Thank you!

What site are you using for the extra details in the data (Ancestry/Find my Past etc.)? It sounds like it might be worth me buying a subscription to somewhere after all.

If she was a Margaretta Bradden/Braddon as a witness then she may have been either John's mother or a sibling. Which makes me think there is a connection to the Christening records with William Churchill and Margaretta as the parents, but the lack of an Alfred and the career as a gardener rather than butcher is confusing me.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 December 20 08:53 GMT (UK) »
Marriage at St Pancras, 2 April 1829
John Braddon, Widower
+
Margaretta Churchill, Spinster

Witnesses Saml Churchill, Margette(?) Churchill
Image on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSFH-83Q6-V

1841 in Marylebone, piece 675 book 2 folio 32 page 56
John Braddon 55 Accountant, Not born county
Margaretta Braddon 30 Yes
Amelia Braddon 15 Yes
4 more children
Margaretta Churchill 65 Ind No
Margaret Hogan 15 F. S. Yes

Image is on FamilySearch
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-13G2-N4BP

Amelia was born before John Braddon and Margaretta Churchill married
Baptized 14 August 1825, St Pancras
Says illegitimate, both parents are named.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSF7-YSNN-N

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 31 December 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Morning Jonw65 - you've beaten me to it  :)

SarahChurchill13

To help others just confirming this is your John Churchill on 1871 census in Sunderland

Piece:   5017 Folio:   37 Page Number:   68

John Churchill   56 Bristol, Publican
Elizabeth Churchill   51 London
John Churchill   23 Bedale Yorks
Alexina Churchill   19 Dalton Yorks (GRO indexes confirming mmn JARMAN)
Frederick Churchill   17 ditto
Katherine Churchill   15 Bedale
Alfred B Churchill   11 Sunderland
Mary M Churchill   8 ditto
Jane Robson   20

and (no image)

Alfred Bradden Churchill
Birth 8 Dec 1859 Sunderland,Durham,England
Father:   John Churchill Mother:   Elizabeth Jarman

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 31 December 20 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk.

you've beaten me to it  :)

That must be a first!

Just add the death of John
Sep 1845 Marylebone 1 104
Braddon, John   
age 64

A PCC will for him, which can be downloaded for free at the moment on TNA website
Will of John Braddon, Accountant of Saint Marylebone , Middlesex
Date 18 August 1845
https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D86623