Author Topic: Webb Family in Guernsey  (Read 2598 times)

Offline RobStone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Webb Family in Guernsey
« on: Thursday 31 December 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I'm hoping you can advise on where i might find records for a family that I believe moved to Guernsey.

The long story is that my Grandmother born in 1928 in Plymouth to Alfreda Annie Ada Usurla Webb never knew her family. Alfreda died when she was 3 yrs old and she went into chidrens homes and foster parents etc. There was no father on her birth certificate so we have total dead ends there unless one day the DNA reveals something.

My Grandma made up a whole background for herself that was untrue and only came to light when i started doing the family history research many years ago. Once the initial upset of me uncovering her true background settled she became very interested in knowing more.

The familly descend from a Samuel Webb and Elizabeth Hooppell Cauley. They had 6 children to my knowledge. We have traced descendants of two of the children and my Nan got to meet some of her cousins eventually and we have all kept in touch over the years. One branch suffered a very similar fate and knew very little, another was very interested because his parents would never speak of the family and he never knew why (He's sadly passed now too) but it sent me on a quest to find others.

My Grandma recalls regularly visiting an uncle in Guernsey and we believe this to be Albert WG Webb (W G is Walter George) Born 27/08/1899. i once thought i had traced that family but when the person i contacted told her grandfather he apparently got very upset and forbade her to speak to me ever again. This was in 2005 on GenesReunited and I've been unable to make any contact since although i believe she may be on here. All i know of her was that her name was Ruth and that Albert was her Great Grandfather.

Yesterday a record i haven't found before popped up on Ancestry and this is a burial record in Guernsey. The record is for St Saviour's Parish Church Cemetery and lists this gentleman dying in 1976. It also lists one E Mildred Webb as spouse and a child called Hazel J Harper.

In my research i had found an Albert W G Webb marrying and Emma M Calvert and bookmarked some potential children. These records suggest he also spend some time living in Kent too or else its a totally different person which remains to be seen. The children were and Iris and Dora so i will be exploring those lines as well.

I'm more interested in how I can trace the Guernsey lines as my Nan remembers visiting him there as a child (rather than Kent). It's a long shot i guess and perhaps the family know nothing but i'd be interested in any family stories or knowledge of my Nan, her mother etc because the family did keep in touch with her in her earlier years even after her mother had died.

Any help on this or pointers would be massively appreciated. Happy to share any other info as needed to help.

Rob