Author Topic: Two marriages -- why?  (Read 447 times)

Offline queencorgi1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Two marriages -- why?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 December 20 18:18 GMT (UK) »
And a plausible one!
Condick; Bull (Herefordshire only); Layard; Wilmot; Southgate; Fowlie (Singapore branch); Usher (Dundrum); Kelley (Lancashire);

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I have one of my Yorkshire ancestors marrying a coachman in St. George's, Hanover Sq.   A year after marrying she was back home in Yorkshire giving birth with the customary assistance from her mother at the first birth.    The vicar had obligingly written against the baptism record that baby & mother were residing with her farrier father and baby's father was a "servant in London".  My family lived near Wentworth Hall and it was usual in those days for landed gentry to also own a house in fashionable London, only going home to their country estates when the heat of summer offended their noses (London not being a very sanitary place)

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy<br />MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell<br />Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar
Ross, Urray:Mackenzie<br />Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell<br />Perthshire: Brown Ferguson<br />Wales: McCarthy, Thomas<br />England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells<br />Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 December 20 23:12 GMT (UK) »

1882: Albert Edward Acheson married Rosetta Maria Marshall July/September 1882, Dublin South, Ireland
and
Albert Edward Acheson married Rosetta Maria Marshall 4 July 1883, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Rosetta's father was a Solicitor in Sheffield so would be familiar to the law but no law was broken. How she travelled to Dublin (surely not by herself - perish the thought) I do not know.

How do I get a certificate or can a Rootschatter in what is now the Irish Republic find the marriage bearing in mind that all I have is the marriage was in Dublin South.

Offline Johnf04

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 December 20 23:48 GMT (UK) »
Here's the marriage - free from here:

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Farrell  - Ayrshire
Cairns - Ayrshire
McCann - Ayrshire
Brown - Ayrshire
Petty - Yorkshire, Durham
Lucas - Staffordshire, Durham
Whitaker - Yorkshire
Thackrah - Yorkshire
Stephenson - Durham
Marshall - Yorkshire
Walker - Staffordshire, Southland New Zealand
McCullough -  Antrim, Southland New Zealand,
Cavanagh - Galway, Southland New Zealand
Anthony - Tipperary, Southland New Zealand
Bath - Cornwall, Tasmania, Southland
Brungot - Alesund, Norway; Southland
Bonthron - Fifeshire, Southland

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 December 20 23:56 GMT (UK) »
Is it possible that the Acheson family were living in Dublin in 1882? Is Monkstown, from the 1883 marriage announcement, Monkstown, Dublin? It could explain the 1882 marriage.

Sheffield Independent
07 Jul 1883
Marriages
Acheson-Marshall
June 4th, at the Parish Church, by the Rev John Roe, Albert Edward, son of William Acheson, Esq., late of Windsor House, Monkstown, to Rosetta Maria, only daughter of Thomas Marshall, Endcliffe crescent.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 January 21 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone. So the groom was in the Merchant Marine. The information is just what I needed and has resolved a problem I have had for many years.