Author Topic: Ancestry - idiot's guide to finding specific church records pls?  (Read 1384 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - idiot's guide to finding specific church records pls?
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Odd, for me it's always been on my home page, to the right of the search panel.

I WANNA CUSTOMISE MY HOMEPAGE BUTTON TOO. <stomps feet as I haven't got one where it should be>

On my home page, the search box goes right across the page. Nothing at all on the right as there isn't room.

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »
What device and web browser are you using?

Having a quick web search I found a page showing how to customise your home page. And another with a conversation on another forum where a user had a similar issue to yourself and couldn't see the "customise your homepage" widget; flushing cookies seemed to work for some people.

How To Customize Your Ancestry Homepage
https://familyhistoryfoundation.com/2017/09/29/set-up-your-ancestry-homepage/

Customise Ancestry Home Page help
https://www.familytreeforum.com/forum/research-advice/family-history-research/1304237-customise-ancestry-home-page-help
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
What device and web browser are you using?

Having a quick web search I found a page showing how to customise your home page. And another with a conversation on another forum where a user had a similar issue to yourself and couldn't see the "customise your homepage" widget; flushing cookies seemed to work for some people.

How To Customize Your Ancestry Homepage
https://familyhistoryfoundation.com/2017/09/29/set-up-your-ancestry-homepage/

Customise Ancestry Home Page help
https://www.familytreeforum.com/forum/research-advice/family-history-research/1304237-customise-ancestry-home-page-help

silly me, I tried to ask Ancestry "help" how to cusomtise my home page and it came up with nothing. Should have googled instead!

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:43 GMT (UK) »
I am using chrome but I've just tried safari and it's the same. How annoying. This would explain why I have always found Ancestry really cumbersome.

On that note, can I ask another stupid question please about Ancestry.

So, for example, I do a search for George Grew and I put in the birth date of 1787 (to the nearest 10 ten years box ticked) in Bethnal Green (this county box ticked) and maybe I put some parents names in the boxes too and I hit search.

Ancestry comes up with eg ten things. And the top one looks interesting so I click on it, and it's his baptism record. Great,"I'll save it"....and it asks me who I want to save it to, and I type in George Grew. And then the next page is one where I have the new info in a box on the left and the existing info in a box on the right, and I tell it that I want to save the new baptism date and perhaps the info about one thing but not another. All good up to here.

The next page it goes to is to George Grew's profile page....where are the other 9 things it originally found??? The only way I've managed to do it is to hit my back button three times. This is so cumbersome. Surely there is a better way? I can't believe I have put up with it for so long without asking. Surely those other 9 records should be accessible immediately after I've saved the first one of them without me either hitting the back button a few times or starting the search all over again? It's like using the internet 20 years ago!

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 31 December 20 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Re. the home page, what device are you using? Is it a phone/tablet or a laptop/desktop? If it's the latter I may have a way of forcing it to show the customisation.

Re. the search and save info issue, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I don't tend to use Anc for my trees and info, I use local software and simply record the data and save any images.

However, when I do searches on Anc (or any site) I tend open result records in a new tab, so I can simply switch tab, returning to the search page tab, avoiding any page reloading. It does mean a proliferation of tabs but I'm OK with that. However, if you're using a tablet that approach could work but may be a bit cumbersome, as opening links in new tabs tends to be more long winded.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 01 January 21 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Re. the home page, what device are you using? Is it a phone/tablet or a laptop/desktop? If it's the latter I may have a way of forcing it to show the customisation.

Re. the search and save info issue, I'm probably not the best person to ask as I don't tend to use Anc for my trees and info, I use local software and simply record the data and save any images.

However, when I do searches on Anc (or any site) I tend open result records in a new tab, so I can simply switch tab, returning to the search page tab, avoiding any page reloading. It does mean a proliferation of tabs but I'm OK with that. However, if you're using a tablet that approach could work but may be a bit cumbersome, as opening links in new tabs tends to be more long winded.

Thanks for this.

I've tried my Mac and my iphone and my ipad. Neither of them show "customize my home page"

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 01 January 21 00:52 GMT (UK) »
Just checking, but are you on the HOME page, not the SEARCH page?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 01 January 21 01:19 GMT (UK) »
Just checking, but are you on the HOME page, not the SEARCH page?

Yes definitely on the home page, with the enticement to get ancestry DNA etc

Offline Gibel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 01 January 21 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not the right one