Author Topic: Ancestry - idiot's guide to finding specific church records pls?  (Read 1387 times)

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ancestry - idiot's guide to finding specific church records pls?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 31 December 20 21:53 GMT (UK) »
For familysearch wiki you can either enter the parish (if you know it) in the search box
or
enter the town/village and you'll get a list of parishes to chose from.

If you scroll down the result it will show what records are available on which sites with direct links to free sites or Ancestry or FindMyPast (if you have subscription).
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 December 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
EDIT: Just realised your question was probably directed at bearkat so ignore this.

There may be other ways of doing it but the following works for Ancestry:

1. Open the Card Catalogue:
Top menu >  Search > Card Catalogue

2. Enter "London Baptisms" in the Title input and click Search

The results should include the relevant collections.

Personally, I add collections to My Quick Links (on the home page) that I often use. You just need to provide the URL and a name. It makes it much quicker to access collections.

Thank you. Home Page - Quick Links ?? I can't see it....sorry....where is it?

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 December 20 21:59 GMT (UK) »
For familysearch wiki you can either enter the parish (if you know it) in the search box
or
enter the town/village and you'll get a list of parishes to chose from.

If you scroll down the result it will show what records are available on which sites with direct links to free sites or Ancestry or FindMyPast (if you have subscription).

Fantastic, thank you so much

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Next stupid question:

Won't Anc / FindMyPast / FS find the same person eg baptised at this church if I just go to the main search boxes and put in the name eg George Grew (whose baptism I am seeking now) and born 10 years either side of eg 1787 and tick the box that says specific to Middlesex? By going to the actual church parish record will it find different / more records??

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:03 GMT (UK) »
Re. My Quick Links on Anc., if you don't already have it you may need to open the "Customise your homepage" option. This should present a list of items you can add to your home page and the My Quick Links item should be listed there.

The My Quick Links does have the quirk that you can't edit the links after adding them, only remove them. So you can't rename them or re-order them. I still find them useful though.

Attached is a snippet from my own home page.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry and FindMyPast tend to have full transcriptions or images of the parish records.  Familysearch often just has the basic details.
Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Next stupid question:

Won't Anc / FindMyPast / FS find the same person eg baptised at this church if I just go to the main search boxes and put in the name eg George Grew (whose baptism I am seeking now) and born 10 years either side of eg 1787 and tick the box that says specific to Middlesex? By going to the actual church parish record will it find different / more records??

The records will be the same whichever way you search for them. However, by searching a specific collection you may have slightly different search parameters you can use. And, obviously, when searching by collection, the results will only include results from that collection.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Re. My Quick Links on Anc., if you don't already have it you may need to open the "Customise your homepage" option. This should present a list of items you can add to your home page and the My Quick Links item should be listed there.

The My Quick Links does have the quirk that you can't edit the links after adding them, only remove them. So you can't rename them or re-order them. I still find them useful though.

Attached is a snippet from my own home page.

I cannot find the cusomtise my home page section anywhere. Have looked on the home page, down the bottom in the footer, and in my own profile settings  >:(  :'( WHERE IS IT?!!!!!! argh!

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 31 December 20 22:19 GMT (UK) »
Odd, for me it's always been on my home page, to the right of the search panel.