Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 31st December 2020 New Year's Eve  (Read 862 times)

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 31st December 2020 New Year's Eve
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 January 21 10:03 GMT (UK) »
For the first time in many, many years I didnít stay up for the Bells. I decided to let this year slip away without ceremony. I have a lot to be grateful for and I often count my blessings but I just didnít fell like celebrating.

More positive today, about to make sausage rolls as son and fiancť coming for a hot chocolate in the garden. The garden is still covered in snow and itís very chilly but the sun is out.
 I have hunted out all my rugs, throws and blankets. Canít see us lasting long  ;)

My motto for 2021 Ďnormal is the new wonderfulí  ;)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 January 21 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Was on my doorstep at midnight, lots of fireworks all around ,  some neighbours here as they werent allowed to travel which was quite nice,  I remember being on my doorstep one year completely on my own with my husband, that was eerie.

My neighbour told me her daughter had said "give dad a hug" she said "I can't
as he has gotten to big " so I told her to give him one of Viktorias grandsons hugs, a Flash Harry hug of the knees, well it made us laugh

Let's all be positive for 2020

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 January 21 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Really nice that some "lurkers" are posting.  :)
Onwards and upwards with the globe striving towards vaccinations....
Unusually it was fully light when I woke yesterday, and I realised I needed to make an early bread raid on town.  I could see the park, adjacent to the beach, was under heavy frost, so I wrapped up warm before setting out. 
What a cracker of a morning! Goldfinches birds flitting around, robins in full voice, puddles frozen with patterns in the ice. The beauty of the frost on the parked cars was wonderful, and the pale, full moon drifting towards the horizon was a sight for sore eyes!! 
It reminded me of my little son muttering about me "waxing lyrical" as we walked to school more than 30 years ago. He complained that whenever I did that his teacher made them write a poem!! So I composed a haiku which I sent to him.
I met 2 of the library staff on their way to work, and enjoyed a brief chat with them, then a complete stranger stopped to warn me about the treacherous conditions on the pavement further up the hill.
In the afternoon I drove to Totnes to meet with some of the Morris group and we walked along the river bank just for some exercise and to keep in touch a bit.
Thankfully there were no car accidents along the route today so I was home in 25 minutes, rather than the 2 1/2 hours it took me recently.
I forgot to look if there would be any fireworks televised at midnight, though I am told the display was really good. Perhaps it is on-line somewhere?
The 7 cruise ships at anchor in Torbay sounded their fog sirens at midnight, which sounded quite strange.
Happy new year to everyone, everywhere.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 January 21 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Can't believe how cold it was today - poked my nose out of a window once but swiftly shut it! 

Didn't do anything of any real consequence but evening was busy in responding to a flurry of messages from family and friends.   Because of the year we've had and the current cold snap I was expecting it to be relatively quiet at midnight.   How wrong was I!   Lots of fireworks, ships sirens from the dock and for a short while it really did feel like a normal New Year.

Now we buckle down again following the COVID guidelines for the tier we are in - well, most of us anyway. Can only hope the minority who haven't up to now finally learn some common sense but fear it's a forlorn hope.

So, once again, Happy New Year to you all - continue to stay safe and pray that things will improve soon.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 January 21 17:00 GMT (UK) »
It unbelievable  that despite being advised that we should all stay at-home  I read a church    in Essex  has had over  £1000's worth of  damage done  last night due to an illegal  meet of some sort to celebrate New Years Eve, and we wonder why Covid is spreading

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 January 21 22:28 GMT (UK) »
Well  Flash  Harry asked if he could have my daughterís dog go for a sleepover!
Honestly.
He was watching a pantomime on some  gadget  or other ,not sure which one - this afternoon.
My screen has split into two vertical halves ,no idea why!
I was trying to send the recording of the recorder playing Brahmís Lullaby, no idea what I have done .
Friend in Wales sends all sorts of stuff ,this time it was fireworks exploding at mid -night but as flowers !
It has exploded my screenI think.
Had my salmon but honestly it  was  not really good quality, Morrisonís, son brought it this morning as snow had gone.
Never mind ,the second half will be better in mayonnaise with potato salad and green salad for tomorrow.
Never mind, but I am so looking forward to a trip to Bury market and especially the fish market and now with Brexit dare I hope we will get more of the fish caught nearer home and not processed in China!
Keep safe folks and a better New Year to us all.
Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 January 21 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, I think you've said before that it's an ipad you use? I don't have any knowledge of them but have looked up the split screen problem. It tells you to place your finger on the center of the black partition line, and drag it at a steady medium speed toward the right edge of the screen. Do that right across to the right hand edge then release your finger and the split screen should be gone. Hope it works.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 January 21 11:00 GMT (UK) »
I had a split screen on my iPad a bit ago - I read something about how to have two things open at once and it seemed a good idea at the time, but I quickly found it very annoying and there wasn't an obvious way to get rid of it. I'm pretty sure I tried something like Roobarb suggests, but it didn't seem to work for me.

After looking online, I found that you need to do this:
Settings > General > Multitasking & Dock > Allow Multiple Apps - this needs to be turned off

My iPad is a few years old and can't be upgraded above iOS12, so I don't know if this works with later versions too.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 January 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, I am really not as good as that
arthurk, But my son will do it with those directions I am sure .
I can use it ,just annoying.
I can barely manage one thing at a time let alone two.
There are often hiccups after a ď Watch this it is wonderful ď from my friend.
But I am not going to fall out with her ,we have been friends for 60+ years, and they as a family came to see me and my two little boys and all our pets off at what was Ringway Airport in 1965 when we left England to join my husband in his new job in Belgium .
I have never forgotten that kindness.
Many thanks , cheerio.Viktoria .