Author Topic: John Molloy (convict??)  (Read 4296 times)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Molloy (convict??)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 01 January 21 03:55 GMT (UK) »

The 1864 marriage .... the clergy would have been in breach of NSW statute law ....
JM

Don't tell the priest you are already married and he is not to know.
Anglican marriage 1st, and then 13 years later a Catholic marriage - why? I'm thinking out loud ...
Something to do with baptism of children as RC?, or a burial in RC church?
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 January 21 04:18 GMT (UK) »
Yes it is a bit weird the two marriages but as they were Catholic I can understand it.  First marriage was on an Aboriginal Reserve called the Apsley Mission, I'm researching at the moment the Catholic church there in Mudgee to see possible answers, time may tell.  Many thanks Dianna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 01 January 21 04:21 GMT (UK) »
What info on 1851 marriage gives you confidence that the 1864 marriage is same couple?  Do signatures match? 

The offspring born 1851 to 1864 would become illegitimate with the 1864 marriage...   the statute law 1856 placed a great deal of responsibility on the clergy to check.   
In that era, in NSW, Inheritance matters could be affected.  Several significant cases dealt with that very aspect in that decade. 

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 January 21 04:24 GMT (UK) »
Montifiores is actually Wellington, not Mudgee.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 January 21 04:38 GMT (UK) »
The NSW registers the 1851 marriage as C of E
church code  MM =
Church of England
Montefiores, Wellington District
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 January 21 04:41 GMT (UK) »
Here is something to consider:

Assisted Immigrants List – (sorry some things hard to read ….)

Arriving Sydney 11 March 1841 on board “Brothers” is
John MOLLOY age 30 – a BLACKSMITH – a native of Monaghan – the son of Hen? MOLLOY – Roman Catholic – can read & write – person certifying character is James Johnston, Armagh – State of bodily health ? V Good. Brought out by A.B. Smith

With him is Anne MOLLOY age 28? –a house servant -  a native of Monaghan – the daughter of  Peter? DALY a carpenter – Roman Catholic – can read & write – person certifying character is James Johnston, Armagh – State of bodily health ? V Good. Brought out by A.B. Smith

With them are 3 children: Charles 6, Charlotte 10, Mary 18 months.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 01 January 21 04:51 GMT (UK) »
That is interesting!  Re the assisted immigrant list.  So ball park he would have been born c 1811.  So what could have happened to the ?? wife and children!  Did they split up and he ended up in Mudgee/surrounding area and hooked up with Hannah McKenna and said he was a Widow! Interesting will put him in the "data" base. LOL.  I'll have a quick look for a possible death of this guy with a Dad ?? Henry

Thanks Dianna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 01 January 21 05:31 GMT (UK) »
Fairly new database online, nominal subs about $33 p.a.  but index is free to search.... many on index as John MOLLOY,  index has ships of arrival displayed and other items too.

Google ... Biographical Database of Australia.  It's a work in progress by a well respected group ...  a not for profit project...

JM

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 01 January 21 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM Well funny you should mention the BDA I paid the  $33.00 last October, did some research using it and then completely forgot about it.  Lucky you reminded me.  I logged in yesterday and found some bits and pieces.  Lot's of JOHN MOLLOY'S which I can come back to later, after hopefully gathering some more bits and pieces from Mudgee/Bathurst. 

It would be wonderful if there were extra information on the marriage in 1864, but not holding my breathe I can only "assume" than other descendant's have tried to find out more!!

At least I found from the BDA a bit more on Hannah/Johanas parents William McKenna and Mary Mahony.  Just trying to track their movements at the moment.

Looks like there's another relative to Hannah possibly a brother named William married to the widow WARD.  Found that from the other board with a very long discussion about John Ward.

Oh also re signatures on the marriage records on the 1864 one it just say's down the bottom in comments Bride signed with her mark!  This is a transcript though from the BDM not the original record form Callaghan McCARTHY.  If I track this original entry down it could be interesting to see if there is any mention of the marriage in Wellington by William Watson in 1851.  Just another puzzle to sort out.

Anyway thanks once again for all the help, everyone.  Kindest regards Dianna