Author Topic: John Molloy (convict??)  (Read 4340 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Molloy (convict??)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 01 January 21 23:02 GMT (UK) »
McKENNA  & MOLLOY

NSW electoral roll MUDGEE 1878

McKenna :
J, residence, Biraganbil
Peter, freehold, Cooyal
John, residence, Home Rule
John Joseph, household, Perry Street (Mudgee)
John, residence, Guntawang
Francis, residence, Stony Creek
Peter, residence, Log Paddock.

Plus
Benjamin MOLLOY, freehold, Gulgong
John MOLLOY, residence, Market Street (Mudgee).

I am very familiar with all those localities, and I was at Cooyal just last week.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 01 January 21 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that!  Does your family come from those area's???  I guess you have used the resources at the Mudgee Museum?? D

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 01 January 21 23:28 GMT (UK) »
I was born 1947, on the Lachlan River ... Condo as in Condobolin.  Family history has been a passion, long before the internet came along.  I have living ancient rellies who retired from professions including NSW State Archives back when it was still part of NSW State Library through to its separation and establishment at Kingswood;  National Archives;  retired Senior NSW BDM officers, as well as retired C of E clergy.... and of course back to free settlers arriving in the 1790s ... as well as garrison forces, convicted males and convicted females (Lifers, and with fixed terms), free settlers in early 1810s, early 1820s, missionaries, Scotch, Irish, Welsh, Cornish, French, any number of German states pre unification of Germany,  Californians, White Russians .... and a pool of 'phone a rellie' who follow posts at RChat, BUT WHO CONTINUE TO DECLINE TO JOIN UP ....  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D ...
Most of our deceased ancestors who migrated to New South Wales actually arrived before the gold rushes, but all were here at least a generation before federation (1901) and all four of my grandparents were born 1870s/1880s.   My Husband's ancestry is similar, again, mainly NSW addresses during 19th century, and most here before gold rushes, and most of his are central west NSW - he being eldest son, of eldest sons of eldest sons etc...   

PS,  add ...
and I am the one who has the current responsibility for the curating of several families private papers, some of which are held in the Mitchell  :), and every one on both sides of our families seems to think I am trustworthy enough to sort their requirements re administering their probated estates ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 January 21 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Now this John MOLLOY who arrived on the Hercules II in 1830 was executed in 1836 Right!  Well it looks like the people/person claiming that this Hercules II John is theirs have not done too much research!! 

I'd wondered what "Claim a convict" was about as I haven't come across any in my own ancestral history yet...

Does the 'person claiming' have to be a direct descendant?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 January 21 00:48 GMT (UK) »
Just popping some NSW BDM ref nos here

MARRIAGE 1851 Volume 37B, line 528,  John MOLLOY and Hannah McKENA

BAPTISM 1853, Volume 39B, line 1883,  baby as John H,  parents as John and Hannah MOLLOY

CIVIL BIRTH Registered in the Mudgee district in 1863,  10411/1863, baby as Elizabeth, parents as John and Hannah,.... there was actually NO lawful requirement for the birth to be registered in the same BDM district as it occurred, but obviously most people did register locally - tyranny of distance in that era etc.  -

If you were to order an official transcript of the 1863 birth registration, it should give you details re the parents then ages, where and when married, and name (or at least the gender and age) of the older living siblings for Elizabeth, and at least the number and possibly gender of those who had already succumbed.   

:)

JM  I searched for M*lloy, with John as father, and I noticed at least one as Mulloy  ::)

ADD
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/births-deaths-and-marriages-registers-1787-1856 
..... The original, official pre-1856 records, were numbered by the Registrar General in volumes from 1 to 120; the other early records which are supplementary to the original pre-1856 records and to the State registers from 1856 were numbered in volumes from 121 to 162. These volumes include a number of events after 1856 and even some after 1899. However, any event after 1856 has been indexed in the index for the year of the event.

For the sake of convenience all these records are referred to as 'Pre-1856'.

also,

Arrangement of registers
Although the Registers are referred to as the 'Pre-1856' or 'Old Records', some entries relating to baptisms, burials or marriages up to 1901 are also include:

The pre-1856 Registers are arranged by Registry Volume Number, for example, Nos 1-123. Within this arrangement, the following is a general breakdown:

and a detailed list follows that.

JM

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 07 January 21 23:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Just received the birth certificate of the last child born to John MOLLOY and Hannah nee McKenna.

26 March 1873
MUDGEE
WALTER
Male
Father:- John MOLLOY
Father's age:- 50  (This is way off I think)
Fathers birthplace:- Ireland (not much help!)
Date of Marriage:- 4 August 1851
Place:- Wellington, NSW
Previous Issue:- 6 Boy's, 2 Girls living
Mothers Maiden Name:- HANNAH formerly McKenna
Mother's age:- 40 + Birthplace = Sydney age 40
Informant: Hannah (her 'X' Mark) MOLLOY Mother Mudgee
Registered 21 April 1873 MUDGEE

On Hannah's death certificate there are 10 Children listed 8 by name and 2 Females deceased.  This is in 1897.  I also have John's death certificate which does not give an area of Ireland for birth. 

Back to the drawing board I guess.  Regards Dianna

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 07 January 21 23:31 GMT (UK) »

So Hannah recognises her C of E marriage of 1851 rather than the 1864 one.... 

Dont close the search just yet.   Thinking caps just need to be pulled a tad tighter.

JM

Offline haney

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 07 January 21 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi JM.  Yes it looks like she does recognise that 1851 marriage.  I'm just going through a couple of certificates to try and narrow down John's birth year.  I have 1807- 1823 so far.  Wow that's off isn't it!!

I guess it is too be expected though with ignorance and fibs too!  I have sent an email off to the Mudgee Historical society with all the information to see what the can add if anything!!

Also I have contacted the Bathurst Catholic Archives re the 1864 marriage to see is they can supply any extra information.

Also if that's not enough I'm collating all the data I can on the McKenna's.  I think I have that nearly sorted out.  I just received the death certificate of the mum of Hannah/Johanna McKenna MOLLOY.

Apparently the poor old darling was attacked by two women and died as a result of her injuries.  This is not reflected in her death certificate but is seems to all add up. 

That was difficult with all the spelling variants of McKenna.  I'm sure you can come up with quite a few.  Some of the children of William MCKENNA convict per Prince Regent and Mary MAHONY were spelt McCANNA also McCANNAH and the ones in Bathurst spelt McKinna.  What a head spinner.  Anyway thanks very much and will carry on.  Onwards and upwards.  Dianna

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 08 January 21 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Dont close the search just yet.   Thinking caps just need to be pulled a tad tighter.
Agreed - there are a number of other convicts (within the possible birth range) with that name to look at.

Here is 1 example:
John Molloy
Prisoner number 35/ 2527
Convict on Lady McNaughten arrival NSW in 1835
Age 15, Roman Catholic, born Dublin, occupation errand boy
Convicted for picking pockets – sentence 7 yrs
Previous conviction 6 months repeated

Certificate of freedom dated 18 July 1841
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)