Author Topic: Help needed to locate a burial  (Read 563 times)

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help needed to locate a burial
« on: Friday 01 January 21 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, hope someone can help. i'm trying to locate what church, and then if possible a plot ref for the burial of Norman Gibbon born 1932 died 1934. All i have to go from is the registration district of Skirlaugh, although in the 1939 register the family lived in Holderness.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance

Jason

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed to locate a burial
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:03 GMT (UK) »
Just to point out that Skirlaugh Registration District does not cover Holderness. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that, my geography of East Yorkshire isn't great, but I checked Skirlaugh and saw that was in the East Riding registration district, this was the district of Norman's death so figured it may help. Also, the family may have moved to Holderness between 1934 and 1939.

Many Thanks

Jason

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I understand that the family could have moved at any time to Holderness.  You may have to buy Norman's death certificate in order to pinpoint a burial location as Skirlaugh District appears to cover quite a large area.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline jason 20

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 01 January 21 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I agree, that's the next port of call, I just thought I'd live in hope and check here first before doing that.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jason, The East Yorkshire Family History Society has a book of Skirlaugh Monument inscriptions, This if from Familysearch.org You may have to register up to see it but the site is free

https://www.worldcat.org/title/skirlaugh-monumental-inscriptions/oclc/504417183?referer=br&ht=edition

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 January 21 20:37 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that at that time the little boy would have been buried in the local municipal cemetery as opposed to a churchyard -- but of course you would need to know where the family lived at the time of his death.

(Just something to bear in mind)
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 02 January 21 00:33 GMT (UK) »
If you find the death entry on freebmd, then click on Skirlaugh, then were it says more information click on "here" and you will see all the places that the district of Skirlaugh covers.

Also the district of Skirlaugh was abolished in 1937 and was replaced by Holderness and Hull. so maybe the address that you found them living at on the 1939 register was where he died.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk