Author Topic: 1702 Ayrshire Marriage Doc - Need a hand with some words  (Read 247 times)

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1702 Ayrshire Marriage Doc - Need a hand with some words
« on: Friday 01 January 21 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello and thanks in advance...

My grandparents married in 1702 and there is quite a bit of info on their marriage document. I get the gist of it but there's a bunch i'm missing. For instance I cannot discern whether William McClounan's occupation beside his name says weaver. There are a bunch of words beginning with W on whole document that I can't decipher such as the one directly below . 2 lines down from the word I had thought was weaver.

Any help appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MKonH26gxedUOjNkXR9D4COLvVBKuH0t/view?usp=sharing

More of the rest of the document to compare
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1wUzXBQ7WA17FjBm98nkOFc_ZfA59Q9Zu/view?usp=sharing

Inverted
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IFBSdA42ytxvlkWZHIrzHXAlt9DRgouv/view?usp=sharing

Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1702 Ayrshire Marriage Doc - Need a hand with some words
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 02 January 21 00:00 GMT (UK) »
Apud (= Latin for "at") Ayre May 12 1702
The which day William McCleunan weaver
in Maybole and Agnes paterson daughter Lawll (= lawful)
to John paterson pnt (= present) deacon of the weavers in
Ayr Gave in their Names to be proclaimed in
order to Marriage Consigned half a Jacobus and
two crouses were married on Tuesday 2 June 1702
By Mr John Hunter Aprile 14 1703 John pater
son got up this Consignation

The couple told the session clerk that they intended to marry on 12th May 1702. At the same time they consigned a Jacobus and two crosses (silver coins) as a guarantee of their good behaviour and serious intent. They were married on 2nd June. On 14th April 1703 the bride's father got the money back, there having been no scandal attached to the marriage.

Offline Alan of Kaslo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 1702 Ayrshire Marriage Doc - Need a hand with some words
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 02 January 21 00:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you!
Stewart. Scott. Bruce. McPherson. McMurray. McKibbin . McKay. McCann. Mckrinkine. McClewnan. McCallum. Joss. Ross. Morrison. Chapman. Middlemiss. Robinson. Conlon. Duffy. Dalgarno. Crookshank. Gammack. Ramsay. Mutch. Crawford. Orr. Galbraith. Kerr. Fergusson. Campbell.