Author Topic: How old is an adult for an adult baptism in the Catholic Church?  (Read 2051 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How old is an adult for an adult baptism in the Catholic Church?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 03 January 21 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry for the confusion with ages....i took the apx ages from the 1851 census (and left out an important comma). The point was that they were not babies but nor adults either. 

Thanks for the advice re the numbers of sponsors needed. 

On the eve of a departure to England perhaps the family is catching up on baptisms and somehow William and Mary were not baptised earlier. Ann is baptised as a babe as she had just been born.
They may have been waiting in Londonderry to catch a ship to England, having come from somewhere else in Ireland? 

That's the feeling I get, that they were somewhere between early childhood and adults.
 Most important duty of a baptism sponsor is to support the parents to raise their child in the faith. A person who became a Catholic in adulthood would have received a course of religious instruction from the priest before baptism. They weren't a blank page like a baby. The adult convert might   receive the sacraments of First Holy Communion and Confirmation soon after Baptism, perhaps after more religious instruction.
If Francis & Catherine Emmerson were a typical Catholic couple in Ireland, they would have had their children baptised as babies, soon after birth as someone else explained. Word would be sent to  a priest that a baby had been born and he would go to the house to baptise it. Infant mortality was  high. Unbaptised babies weren't buried in churchyards.
An article on Ireland Reaching Out website describes baptism traditions pre and post Famine. 
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 04 January 21 00:13 GMT (UK) »
An article on Ireland Reaching Out website describes baptism traditions pre and post Famine.

"News: Ireland Insight - Irish Naming and Baptism Traditions"
https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/irelandxo-insight-irish-naming-and-baptism-traditions

Ireland Reaching Out/ Irelandxo is a family history website for the Irish diaspora. It's organised by county and then by civil parish. You could post an enquiry about Emerson and Banigan families in the appropriate civil parish.
Cowban

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 04 January 21 04:20 GMT (UK) »
I am of the opinion the parents were baptised on the same day & they being "Adults"...

If you look at the other baptisms on the page, all the parents are listed 1st above (father) & 2nd directly below (mother with maiden surname) but in this case the parents are both on the same line...

I believe the info. "Sponsors of above" was inserted re the children because of an error in where their names were placed alongside "Adults" which was referring to the parents?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 04 January 21 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annie,

That makes sense.

March 1844
Parents were the adults being baptised.
The children, William and Mary, had the sponsors 'the Catherines'
May 1844
One child Ann baptised with one sponsor shown Catherine Duffy but parents being now of the faith could help as well. 

There were at least 5 children born before these three the ones who were baptised at St Columb's Longtower. 

Online shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 04 January 21 05:49 GMT (UK) »

"News: Ireland Insight - Irish Naming and Baptism Traditions"
https://www.irelandxo.com/ireland-xo/news/irelandxo-insight-irish-naming-and-baptism-traditions

Ireland Reaching Out/ Irelandxo is a family history website for the Irish diaspora. It's organised by county and then by civil parish. You could post an enquiry about Emerson and Banigan families in the appropriate civil parish.

Yes I had signed to several parishes but not St Columbs.  Will do so.  I keep forgetting about the articles and other helpful aids there. 

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 04 January 21 17:07 GMT (UK) »
I am of the opinion the parents were baptised on the same day & they being "Adults"...

If you look at the other baptisms on the page, all the parents are listed 1st above (father) & 2nd directly below (mother with maiden surname) but in this case the parents are both on the same line...

I believe the info. "Sponsors of above" was inserted re the children because of an error in where their names were placed alongside "Adults" which was referring to the parents?

Annie

That's a possibility, parents and children being baptised on the same day, and would explain what was written in sponsor column.
I looked for adult baptisms on other pages. I listed them in reply #12. Confusingly some were written in the column for parents names. A batch of males with surname Canning were baptised on 11th June 1844 and a pair of sisters named Rolles, 10th Aug. 1846. There are also a few written vertically up the middle of some pages; I couldn't read them, they are in tiny script.
I'm not used to so many adult baptisms. Was there a zealous missionary priest in charge at the time or more than an average number of mixed marriages? All my families in Mayo were R.C., baptisms within a week of birth. 
Cowban