Author Topic: How old is an adult for an adult baptism in the Catholic Church?  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: How old is an adult for an adult baptism in the Catholic Church?
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 January 21 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Does the wording of the baptisms have any clue i.e. does the word 'wife' appear?

I haven't any Irish Catholic baptisms although stacks of Scottish Catholic baptisms which read e.g...

Child's name, baptised, date, son/daughter of Joe Bloggs & his wife Mary Soap (her maiden name).

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 January 21 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Irish baptisms usually list names of parents without the word 'wife' appearing in the entry as in the baptism in question-
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633057#page/20/mode/1up

The May 1844 baptism shows father as Francis Emmerson-
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633057#page/22/mode/1up

A Catherine Duffy appears as sponsor for all three baptisms.

Shanreagh- what do you know about Francis Emmerson? was he Catholic? what happened to him after children were born?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 21 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks aghadowey,

I've looked up many for others in the past, I just couldn't remember how they were written & I don't have an e.g. saved on my laptop (which I will do now)!

It looks to me the parents were baptised at the same time & the Priest has them the wrong way round with a note "Sponsors of above" i.e. William & Mary?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 02 January 21 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Harris died 1870 - informant was husband John Harris-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1873/020711/7267295.pdf

In 1861 census Francis Emmerson, wife Catherine, children Jane (28), Elizabeth (21) & William (21) all born Ireland (children Mary (18), Ann (15), Bridget (13) born England).
1851 census lists other children, including a daughter (Catherine?) born in Spain which might indicate Franci served in the Army.

There's a Francis Emmerson died 1870 (age 60) in Preston district.
1871 census looks like Catherine and some of the children still in Preston.

A Bridget Riley died in 1906 at Fall River, Massachusetts. Her death certificate gives parents as Francis Emerson & Catherine Bannigan (both born Ireland). It gives Bridget's age as 51 and her birthplace as Ireland.

There's also a marriage (1 July 1876) at All Saints Episcopal Church in Manhattan, N.Y. for an Annie Joyce (age 25) to James Joyce. Her death certificate (1914 Fall River, Mass.) gives birthplace as England and her parents as Francis Emerson & Catherine Bannigan (both born Ireland).

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 02 January 21 15:14 GMT (UK) »
Catherine Harris died 1870 - informant was husband John Harris-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1873/020711/7267295.pdf

In 1861 census Francis Emmerson, wife Catherine, children Jane (28), Elizabeth (21) & William (21) all born Ireland (children Mary (18), Ann (15), Bridget (13) born England).
1851 census lists other children, including a daughter (Catherine?) born in Spain which might indicate Francis served in the Army.

There's a Francis Emmerson died 1870 (age 60) in Preston district.
1871 census looks like Catherine and some of the children still in Preston.

A Bridget Riley died in 1906 at Fall River, Massachusetts. Her death certificate gives parents as Francis Emerson & Catherine Bannigan (both born Ireland). It gives Bridget's age as 51 and her birthplace as Ireland.

There's also a marriage (1 July 1876) at All Saints Episcopal Church in Manhattan, N.Y. for an Annie Joyce (age 25) to James Joyce. Her death certificate (1914 Fall River, Mass.) gives birthplace as England and her parents as Francis Emerson & Catherine Bannigan (both born Ireland).

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 02 January 21 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for the help.

I had seen the 1851 entry for Catherine that had her birthplace as 'Offrein' so Spain makes sense.  There is another child Samuel on this census (which is a bit fragmented) and someone whose age is there but not the name.

it does look as though Ann (Annie) was in fact born in England but baptised at St Columbs or thought she was born in England. Now thinking she was born and baptised in Ireland and taken to England or ? as a child and knew no other place than England and later Mass in the US. 

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 January 21 18:56 GMT (UK) »
"Is there any significance about the choice of St Columbs Longtower?   I can understand bringing children 'home' to be baptised in a home church but whose home church would be more likely - the  father's or mother's?"

I've read over this a few times but I don't really understand it.

Where were the children born if not in the place they were baptised? 

Annie

Yes that is true but that was a thought that the parents may have come back from England and had  several of the children baptised as older children but looking at it now it may be that the children were baptised before going to England. 

Perhaps this 'job lot' baptising was not common in UK but it was here in NZ where children were often baptised as a group by a travelling priest or  baptised when the parents were in a place with a church. A couple of my relations were taken to the mother's church  to be baptised as a group,

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 02 January 21 19:02 GMT (UK) »
I looked previously but could not find the births of the children born in England.
There is a baptism
3rd October 1846 All Saints, Barton upon Irwell
Bridget Emmerson born 9th September 1846
Parents Francis and Catherine (formerly Brannigan)
Godparent Samuel Emmerson
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 02 January 21 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Heywood in the 1851 census the three younger children are entered as born in England
Mary aged 8 born Bolton
Ann aged 6 born Bolton and
Bridget 3 shown as born Pendlebury but baptised Barton upon Irwell as you have shown (4 miles apart).