Author Topic: A J MacEach(e)/(a)n - Identify Dress/Uniform, Date, Age & Restore please?  (Read 505 times)

Online McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
Re: A J MacEach(e)/(a)n - Identify Dress/Uniform, Date, Age & Restore please?
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 03 January 21 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Annie, do you need to say at this point that it may not be who they think it is?

Iíd be more inclined to say that you have some dating experts working on a precise date for the photo and a close age for the sitter, and some restorers who would love to restore it.  A picture of the whole card - front and back - would give vital clues to the age of the photo. A good scan would give a better impression of his age and a better look at some damaged details in the picture as well as guaranteeing a really good restoration. (For example in the one Iíve done below - sorry, canít resist having a go - a lot of details are vague or made up, so wouldnít be true to the original.)

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 03 January 21 03:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Peter,

No, I don't need to mention it but I was going to ask how sure he was of who it is & of course what you mention.

I will also send the restorations so far to give an idea what a copy of the original could be transformed into as it's such a lovely pic & I'm sure he'll appreciate what's been done so far.

The problem is getting in touch with him via someone else.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 03 January 21 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I donít see how he could be offended Annie, if you tell the truth about the dating, but yes, requesting a clearer scan first is probably a good idea.

As suggested by Peter, maybe you could plant the seed of doubt in his mind by saying the photo could be earlier than expected, but a better scan is required to be sure and to glean additional details.

Would you be willing to ask for the photo to be sent to you for scanning, obviously with a promise to return it?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 03 January 21 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie, I wouldn't ask to borrow the original for several reasons.

It's not so important for me as it would be for the chap.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 03 January 21 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Ok Annie, that is understandable.  ;)