Author Topic: Diary > Friday 1st January New Year's Day  (Read 1358 times)

Online louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 1st January New Year's Day
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 02 January 21 18:05 GMT (UK) »
The church mentioned is about 3 miles away from me, not my parish church, so pleased funds have been raised , the perpetrators should be coughing up and go without as an additional  punishment, there should not have been a rave at all,  would the perpetrators  like it if we went and trashed their homes?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 02 January 21 18:11 GMT (UK) »
Removed
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 02 January 21 21:13 GMT (UK) »
We usually eat fairly plain food.  I’m not a very adventurous eater.  I’m in awe of those who prepare full scale meals every night.  I like to bake but cooking...not much interest. Fortunately OH cooks every other night.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 January 21 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Diana - my stomach felt heavy just reading what you’d eaten... all lovely of course but when we’re not used to lots of rich food it play havoc can’t it!

Sorry, I can't believe what you're saying.  Bread making on a regular basis - I can't remember the last time I had a slice of bread.  And all your other delicacies.  :) 

250 gm of mince lasts us for 2 meals, same for lamb, 1 x sirloin steak between two of us - and NOT because we can't afford it.  :-X

My daily diet is - coffee for breakfast, lunch = half a fruit scone with a slice of prosciutto, dinner = meat, potatoes and vegetables plus a ready-made dessert (creme caramel, lemon mousse).

:-X

You’ve got me with this quote I’m afraid.... where does it mention bread in Diana’s post?
Well done you for eating so frugally! It has been Christmas and I’m sure we indulge once in a while.... nothing wrong with that...
Actually breakfast is one of the important meals of the day and eating things like porridge, cereals is good roughage that we all need along with fruit and veg... not sweet sugary food which isn’t so good for us...
Each to their own eh!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 03 January 21 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, I find the meals you prepare quite inspiring and several times, I admit I have copied your food ideas.

I used to do a lot of cooking but now find it a bit of a chore, however over the past couple of days have tried a couple of new recipes - one, which I spent most of the day making - sweet yeasty buttery buns (one of my favourite things) however these were disappointing. I always use fresh yeast, as my grandmother did.  :) I have an old recipe (from a book) which I am going to try next time because I know that works.

I made a new beetroot salad recipe with a maple mustard dressing. It was very good. Beetroot is one of my favourite veg. I usually have it with a sour cream dressing but was keen to try something different.

I had a few over ripe bananas so decided to make a banana cake  - an easy, one bowl concoction. Not too bad though I think a cream cheese icing would’ve added a bit of oomph to it.

I have also made a trifle a couple of days ago, which we are working our way through. We usually have one at Christmas but this year I made a pavlova instead - which turned out surprisingly well.  :)

I should push myself to try more new recipes - I do tend to be a bit lazy when it comes to cooking. There are millions of delicious ones out there and so easily accessible online. I always have a problem deciding which of the hundreds of recipes for the same dish would give the best result, and some can be very disappointing. I should stick to tried and tested recipes from books.  :)

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 03 January 21 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb: had to laugh re your vacuuming comments.  I just couldn’t stand looking at the rug any longer.  I’ve spent my adult life avoiding housework and feeling guilty about it :).  Glad to hear you were able to get out for a walk today. 
Caroline: the TV series can really pull you in, I agree.  We are thinking of Queen’s Gambit next, heard good things about it. 
Ruskie: sounds like you having fun experimenting. One of our favourite desserts is apple crisp, but I ordered the wrong type of oats so will have to reorder for Thursday’s grocery pickup...then another batch!

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 03 January 21 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Ruskie - I’m very flattered that you’ve tried some of the things I’ve mentioned to cook!
I’m not very good with yeasty type things ( leave that to my OH) and I wouldn’t say pastry is either although I find sweet  pastry ok to do as doesn’t require much kneading and I roll it between two sheets of grease proof paper so it doesn’t stick to everything!
Cream cheese mixed with little icing sugar and lime juice is lovely... I make a courgette cake with that as a topping...
I have so many cook books and I have a monthly good food magazine ... sometimes the recipes are good other times lots of vegetarian or vegan ones which were not either... I use internet too... I always like to try new ones using tweaking them if there’s something I don’t like or have!
Can’t tell you the number of dinner parties I’ve used untried recipes! Not had too many disasters... completely freaked one if my friends out...she’d have to try a new recipe out on her husband at least a couple of times before cooking for anyone else.... sadly he’s no longer with us and she’s moved away now... either sticks to what she knows or doesn’t have people to dinner!

Diana - I can highly recommend Queens Gambit, it’s an excellent series... compulsive viewing!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 03 January 21 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Diana, Your mention of oats reminds me, though not strictly baking, I forgot to add Muesli to my list of creations - I made a huge batch the other day.  :)

I feel your pain Diana - I hate vacuuming - I try to turn a blind eye to the copious amounts of pale dog fur in corners of rooms and stuck on dark rugs. (We have a golden retriever.) In fact OH has taken to the vacuum though he is not as thorough as I am.  ;) Thank you Mr Dyson for your easy to use cordless vac otherwise it would still be me trudging around with the corded plug in.

Caroline - your zucchini cake sounds yummy. I love lime in icing.  If the recipe is online can you post a link to it please?

I agree, the Queen’s Gambit is excellent. We watch many UK drama and crime series. Just finished watched An Honourable Woman. It’s a few years old and a bit convoluted with the odd racy bit thrown in, but quite interesting. Have either of you seen “Golddigger” with Julia Ormond? That was a good series.

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 03 January 21 01:48 GMT (UK) »
I have a Dyson as well, but not cordless.  Best vacuum I have had, even if a bit heavy.  I bought a handheld Dyson too, it’s fantastic.  Both worth the extra money.